Book 2 Fatal Revenant *SPOILERS*

GOLLUM

OK folks,

I have the book in my hands and am already reading it.

Please post any thoughts on the book here.....:)

I haven't got my copy yet but, after the reading The Runes Of The Earth I'm curious to find out how Covenant extricated himself from the Arch Of Time in White Gold Wielder.

I finished the book around a week ago. I couldn't believe it, when I walked into the bookshop and saw this staring at me from the book shelf. I knew it was coming out soon but didn't realise it had already been published. The book is a bit more together than runes of the earth which I thought was a bit disjointed.

Also Donaldson reintroduces some of his marvels back to the books such as orcrest, giants, elohim and forestals which I was dreading we weren't going to get to see again. I think I'd have to say the giants have to be my most favoured fantasy creatures ever since I heard Saltheart Foamfollower singing his song back in Book 1.

"stone and sea,
perminance at rest,
perminence in motion"

Also the introduction of the insequent (sp?) was a nice touch, brought a bit of spice to the already familiar aspects of the book.

All in all a good read and I can wait for the final edition.

Rosie panics! I haven't seen one in the bookshops yet, I hope they haven't sold out :eek:

I've nearly finished the book, and am enjoying it more and more as the story progresses. Welcome back giants!!!
Stephen seems to be trying to include every new word he has discovered in the last few years, and them some, but nevertheless I am loving the story, though it's not quite connecting as it should ( whether from my bias or his lack I'm not sure).
Still, this is a great story, and brings constant reminders of past books as well as new wonders. The Hurachai, Ranyhyn, and many others find their way into the tale - and steal the show!! Linden may just be the weak link, but that may just be me!.
Anyway, can't wait for the third novel, and actually, I'd better get back to Linden and the Giants.

Well, I finally found the time to read this latest in the Covenant saga and I wasn’t disappointed. I’m not sure why but I found The Runes Of The Earth a bit of a struggle to get through. It was like adding through literary treacle. Fatal Revenant is much more pacier. In my opinion, Donaldson is back to his gritty Covenant best.

My favourite part? The revelation and battle beneath Melunkurion Skywier. Not for the first time, Donaldson wrong-footed my suspicions and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

Despite its hefty number of pages (over 700) I found that, once started, I powered through it. And I suppose that’s the biggest compliment you can pay an author about his work is that, once started, I just couldn’t put it down.

My only criticism is the time I will have to wait until the next volume appears. Still, as they say (they say a lot don’t they) Good things come to those who wait……:)

I've been doing a bit of pondering since finishing Fatal Revenant and one thing bothers me: the nature of Esmer.

As those that have read the book will now be aware, Esmer is to Linden's ability to wield White Gold as Kevin's Dirt is to the healthsense given to those that inhabit The Land.

All well and good. But one small detail doesn't make sense to me - despite Esmer's unusual origin, he is still, essentially, a creature of Earthpower and Law. White Gold magic is not constrained by Law or by any other limits within The Land.

My question is this - how can Esmer be a preventative against something that should not only surpass his own lore but be so essentially different that even if he wanted to, he should not be able to limit the use of Wild Magic?

It is possible that perhaps I have missed something while reading through the book?

Anybody any ideas?:confused:

They did sell out because I left it too late! :eek: I'll have to order one in, which is no problem as the bookshop is very helpful, thank goodness.

I see most of you have enjoyed reading it, so I am looking forward to the arrival of my copy. :)

Hooray, my copy has finally arrived :D A hardback cover, so it looks fantastic on the shelf. As soon as I have finished on of Trudi Canavan's books it will be the next one to read, and am I looking forward to it. :D

Still haven't read the spoilers above...:p

The prologue was a great help reminding me of what had gone previously. I often find it hard to go from one authors series to another, especially when we have to wait for so long before the next book is published. :(

Every now and again I felt as if I were reading part of the original series only with different characters. Apart from that I am now enjoying the story and at last finding it difficult to put down. :)