Chainfire, SoT Book 9, Terry Goodkind

Neon

Brighter than a lightbulb
Chainfire, Terry Goodkind's 9th book in the Sword of Truth series, was released today in the US. I, personally, can barely wait to get my hands on a copy. But because I'm a cheap college student I'll be waiting until a local library can get a copy in stock. I believe that Chainfire is the start of the final 3 books in the series, and the basis for this book seems pretty interesting. Who else plans to read this, or is a big fan of the series?

God I hope it's the beginning of the end...

Sorry...I was a huge fan when I started reading the series, but by about book 5 it began to lose its charms, became pretty predictable, in turn making the twists too obviously forced, the love story lost its momentum...I read Naked Empire recently after putting it off for ages and finding other things to do with myself...

I'll read the new book, my husband will probably buy it when it comes out here, but I'm sorry to say I'm reading them now just to get some sense of closure rather than for pure enjoyment :(

I'll be reading it. I haven't been as disappointed in them as so many others seem to be, perhaps because I'm also reading Jordan's WoT series and just figure that a long series is bound to have it's ups and downs. I'm not a poor college student, just poor :D , so I'll wait for the library as well.

The only book I disliked was the Pillars of Creation, which basically left the main characters behind. While I haven't enjoyed how preachy Goodkind has gotten in his latter books, I have still really enjoyed the series. My hope is that these final books will replace a lot of the ideology with action packed adventure (both with Jagang and whatever drama he throws in regarding Richard+Kahlan).

I've just started listening to this book on audio format. I don't really have high expectations for it. The last few books in the series have been annoying me simply because Richard is never at his full power. It's almost as though Goodkind doesn't want to show Richard's full potential. At the beginning of this latest book, Richard is shot with an arrow during some heavy fighting. Some soldiers show up and Richard gets in a fight with them. All well and good, but I don't understand why Richard couldn't just wave a hand and crush all of the soldiers like he did in Pillars of Creation (I think it was Pillars of Creation). If Kahlan was really with him both times, than he would fear for her life both times. Don't worry, I'm not giving anything away with both of these books. These events are both very minor things that happen in them.

I agree with you to some extent. Goodkind tends to write about Richard's powers in a somewhat erratic fashion. He has always maintained that he can use magic under a grave need, or something to that effect. So while he is usually able to when he has to save somebody's life, he usually can't in a big fight when his own life is in danger. I would like to think, though, that Richard may eventually figure out how to tap into his powers by the conclusion of the series.