Can you help?

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Some years ago I read a SF book by at that time a first time author. It begged a sequel, but since I don't remember either the book or the author I have never been able to discover if there was one.

Here's what I remember:

Some generations back a star ship crew is marooned on a planet. They have lost almost all of their technological abilities. They live in a walled city because among the wildlife on the planet there are creatures who have an annual migration and kill everything in sight at that time. The city is divided into officers and crew quarters. The officers have slightly better living conditions and slightly more science available to them.

One of things that has allowed the city to survive is that some few of their members become "beserkers." (the officers have some vague references to something about amino acids, but they haven't a clue as to what that really means) The plot revolves around a young man who desires to be a beserker but is not. He falls in love with a young woman who is an aspiring history reader. He makes a discovery that the animals which they fear the most cannot find humans if they run themselves with a foul smelling pepper plant. He becomes quite rich and is able not only to take the wife which was assigned to him, but to "buy?" the "historian" he loves. The book leaves with a hint that there is another group of humans who hunt with what the reader recognizes as a blow gun, but the people in the story have no clue of what it is.

Not much to go on I'm afraid, but maybe someone can help with this.

Parson

Supporter
No, I never did. I don't have @dannymcg's skill at these kinds of things. :p

There's not too much I can add to the above. I would estimate that the book can be NO newer than the very early 2000's, but I would suspect were looking at something more like 1990's or before. Before 1980 is dubious.

Other plot items:

A mother (who is an "officer" and "city governor?") of a main character (might be the Historian, but I'm not sure) tries to run an experiment on her daughter by seeing to it that her daughter eats no "local" food, because the officers wonder if that that is the key element to triggering the "berserker" rage.

Last edited:

Parson

Supporter
I checked your post in the "stackexchange" and this sounds right: "There are several stories that hit some of those points - the segregation between officers (Sah) and crew (Lo) comes by in Mud/Aurora by D. D. Storm (1981) (there, too, there is a love story with some resemblance to this)" --- The date would be perfect and I might vaguely remember the designations (Sah) and (Lo) but I can't find anything about either the author or this book. So, I guess it's a big maybe.

Edit: further searching found that the story is a novelette in "Isaac Asimov's "Aliens & Outworlders." published in 1983. I did not read the story in an anthology. But I wouldn't say that it might not have started that way, or perhaps was cut down to get published again? I couldn't find any kind of a summary of the story.

Last edited:

tachyon

Mud/Aurora seems to also have been published in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine in 1981: Contents Lists

The most description I've found for the story is on this Wikipedia page: Experimental language - Wikipedia

"In Mud/Aurora, by D.D. Storm, society is divided in three classes speaking three different languages, designed to allow survival on a hostile, deserted world of a wrecked starship's crew and their descendants. The long-forgotten ship's linguist hid the true history of their world within the language spoken by the descendants of the commanding officers, the Sah."

Edit:

Found it on ISFDB: Title: Mud/Aurora

"Synopsis: On a world where the grammars of the languages used strictly correspond to truth and correct action, a male who has been experimenting with devising a new language is assigned a wife from a different linguistic caste."

Parson

Supporter
Hmm, that does ring a bit of a bell. As I remember it --- another thing to add --- there is a poem (song?) that explains when the beserker attitude takes hold --- and a lot of other things. This could be the "language" that the ship's linguist used to hide the true history.

In a scene I remember the young man is watching a girl climb a fence and she accidently? (perhaps with some intention)? reveals her underwear? privates? and the young man does nothing and that is another strike against his being a beserker because a true beserker would have forced intercourse there and then. The song goes something like "In battle fright or passion's might" ... a beserker is known.

Thanks for the help!

dannymcg

I'm too cool for a fridge
Hmm, that does ring a bit of a bell. As I remember it --- another thing to add --- there is a poem (song?) that explains when the beserker attitude takes hold --- and a lot of other things. This could be the "language" that the ship's linguist used to hide the true history.

In a scene I remember the young man is watching a girl climb a fence and she accidently? (perhaps with some intention)? reveals her underwear? privates? and the young man does nothing and that is another strike against his being a beserker because a true beserker would have forced intercourse there and then. The song goes something like "In battle fright or passion's might" ... a beserker is known.

Thanks for the help!
So do you think your book has been identified by tachyon then? @Parson

Parson

Supporter
How certain do I have to be? I'd put it in the 75% range. I definitely read a book (my memory says average sized) but definitely not a novella as a part of an anthology. If we leave that fact out I would put the certainty in the 95% range.