Ending A Series Blues

rune

rune
Has anyone ever come to an end of a series and wished it could still go on because you enjoyed it so much :)

I am reading the Last Rune Lords, and I only have the last book to buy. I keep putting it off because I dont want the series to end. :eek:

Better this than a serie you loved which jumped the shark (like Darkover for me as an example). Now, you'll have the pleasure to re-read it, not espiecially in chronological order, as you would remember good times chatting with friends.

I had the same effect reading Chapterhouse : Dune,the last Dune novel written by Frank Herbert, especially because I had no hope of a following as the writer was dead. :(

rune said:
Has anyone ever come to an end of a series and wished it could still go on because you enjoyed it so much :)
Absolutely!!!:D That's happened quite a few times for me. Even if it isn't a series, just a stand alone novel that I have enjoyed reading so much I didn't want it to end.:eek:

Oh my goodness yes! When I was a little kid, reading the Shannara series for the first time, I nearly cried when I finished it because it was over!

Unfortunately as much as we would wish certain favorites to go on forever, we also have to realize that part of the attraction is in a story's unique pull on an individual. You can't replicate that and many authors who try end up failing miserably. We just have to sigh and let them go :D

The The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop was another I didnt want to finish. I so loved those characters :D

The Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb, it was heart breaking at times, and I so loved the characters that I missed them after I had finished the series.

Oh, I know that feeling. You want to write the author and tell them to get off their butt and write another one, just for you.

Circus Cranium said:
Oh, I know that feeling. You want to write the author and tell them to get off their butt and write another one, just for you.
You ever done that?

I felt that way about Fiest's series when I first read them about 10yrs ago.. I also felt that way about GRRM's series (though it isn't finished yet) when I finished the last book he had written in ASoIaF.

The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton. Even though the books were huge, the plot was so tremendous that I was cranky for days! A series that I really WANTED to end (and still has not) is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books. They became too redundant and I quit reading them in the middle of the 5th book. Is anyone else sick of Jordan?

When a great series/novel comes to an end I almost feel a vacant feeling inside, knowing the characters are at their end for me. But the worst feeling, for me, is finishing a book of a great series only to have to wait in torment until the author can put out the next one.

I'll have to add Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop to that list of wishing it hadnt finished :confused:

I have a problem with dead authors. I've read all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels and Conan Doyle is dead. I've read all the James Bond Novels and stories and Ian Fleming is dead. I've read all of Asimov's future history and he's dead. I've read all of Heinlein's future history and he's dead. I know all of these authors would have written more if the've lived.

I think the problem will be evident once Harry Potter ends. What can I say? Kids books can still engross me. :p

I don't have this problem. If I love the story, the world, and the characters, I can't wait to have the whole thing complete. It's not an end, but a beginning, because I know there will be many rereadings.

It is sad when a beloved author dies, because I know there will be no new stories of any kind. Or if I discover an author who is already dead, and I know there are only a set number of stories before I run out of new ones to read. But the end of a series, that doesn't bother me. I want that final book now, thank you very much.

I felt that way yesterday when I finished Darkness at Sethanon. Amos Trask had me literally laughing out loud with all the names he called Murmandamus. Luckily for me though there are more books to read, though I don't know if some of my favorite characters continue with them. And I have to scrape up the money once again for them because our library doesn't have Prince of the Blood, though it does have the Kings Buccaneer. *sigh* the things one has to put up with in a rural backwater redneck infested town.

Well the one that killed me was Thomas Covenant because of the way the second chronicles ended it felt so final and I freely admit to crying as I closed the final book... so to get a chance 20 years on to return to the land with Thomas is an unexpected gift...

Oh, absolutely. That was really the only series that has affected me that way. I raced through the first trilogy and the first two books of the second trilogy, but it took me forever to finish the last one because 1) I didn't want it to be over, and 2) I knew what was going to happen and I didn't want it to. Now, I didn't cheat in any way to find out what would happen, but I just knew from the way things were going.

I haven't read the new book yet (well, not new any more, but you know what I mean). I started it once but just wasn't in a correct frame of mind to read it - I didn't need anything else depressing in my life at that time. I'm going to have to read it, though.

:eek: Have to be honest, i dont want the Harry Potter to end either