The Mist

McMurphy

Apostate Against the Eloi
Coffee is an addiction, black-and-white horror fil
I watched the upcoming Hollywood film adaption for Stephen King's "The Mist" short story/novella tonight, which I originally read (like most readers) in his fantastic Skeleton Crew short story collection.

It has been some time since I have read the story, but the film certainly changes some key elements; namely, the revelation of the horrors wielded by the mist and the ending of the story. The special effects were disappointing but the film depicted the chaos within the supermarket well.

Whether or not the film adaption will appease King fans may not be answered until later, but I thought it would be a good spring board for "The Mist" discussion.

Personally, I think the story is among the best in the Skeleton Crew short story collection, and I liked how it originally ended.

It is one of his best shorts or novellas. I haven't seen the film adaption yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be disappointed. I gathered they had altered the ending a little, so I'm prepared for that one.

My personal fav in Skeleton Crew was Survivor Type. I'd have loved it if they'd made that Castaway movie with this theme instead of Tom Hanks talking to a football or some such goofy crap.

Anyway, The Mist was a terrific novella, with some Lovecraftian influences to it...although Jerusalem's Lot from Night Shift was the more openly Lovecraftian story methinks.

I liked the Mist although Skeleton crew is an excellent collection with a lot of good stories like word processor of the gods and here be tygers

I'm always a bit wary when it comes to the screen adaptations of his work, chiefly because watching The Stand just pissed me off to no end. I don't understand how they can be so inaccurate with the storyline, setting and characters when it serves no cause, except to make those who have read the actual stories **** their heads sideways in question - and to those of us who get a bit too worked up over this sorta stuff - in anger and frustration. Another example would be the mini-series adaptation of Shogun by James Clavell.

As for The Mist, I will hold out for some more opinions.

I certainly agree that the adaptation of The Stand could have been better, but if youre gonna poke holes in King's works that have made it to the screen, dont you think that there are much better choices? Absolute dogs like Sometimes They Come Back and Maximum Overdrive (adapted from Trucks) will suck no matter how much time passes. I thought that The Stand may be one of the better ones.

The Mist has also been published on its own. I personally will watch this one on DVD, but I will see it.

I've not seen or read either of those, my knowledge of King basically stays within the DT world. Maybe if I was more familiar with the plethora of terrible SK screen adaptations I'd be a bit more forgiving with The Stand, but I don't think so. =P

It has always been one of my favourite SK short stories so I'm looking forward to the movie.

I have high hopes because it is directed by the King adaption supremo Frank Darabont. Probably the only director to make decent adaptions, although Shawshank and Green Mile were not out and out Horror stories like "The Mist" so it will be interesting to see how he handles Horror.

It did take them a few years to realize that King should have as little to do with the adaptation as possible, no?

I enjoyed the movie very much, especially the ending, even though the movie's ending was very different than the book's.

I agree with you about the special effects. It had moments of greatness, but if it wasn't great, it looked pretty dang corny (i.e. the tentacle ripping the dog food bag apart).

Went to see it last weekend. I liked the fact that it seemed a wee bit low budget - for me that adds to the realism. The special effects weren't as I pictured them in my head when I read the story, but that's ok. The ending is what irritated me though. I realized the original lacks a firm ending, but so what. Why do people feel they need closure in a every story? SK is brilliant as a writer. Does anyone know if he anything to do with the new end?

Ive read this one twice and loved it.

As for the Frank Darabont film, I like the movie until the ending which I absolutely hated.

I liked both the story and the movie. The great thing about the movie is when you're watching it with someone that's never seen it before. Observing their reaction to the ending is always amusing. The story itself does a good job of portraying the defaults of human behavior in this grocery store/crucible setting. King illustrates very well how quickly the thin veneer of civilization can be stripped away by adversity. The fate of Mrs Carmody (right through the milk bottle, great one Ollie!) and the depiction of people's religious tendencies ring particularly true.

Darabont did a good job with the film. If you get the special edition, you can watch it in B&W which is how he tried to release it in the cinemas. The 'B' cast pretty much makes up season one of the Walking Dead too.

The SFX aren't as good as they could be, but they didn't have a great budget and they're strong enough to add tension to the plot which as everyone above me has already pointed out - is about the survivors in the store. Never about the threat, always about the people.

And I loved the ending, though they could have seen them fill the tank up once or twice to show a longer passage of time before he decides to do what he does... He came to that quit quickly but it's quite poignant for those without faith.

On a side note, Darabont and King are fairly close and (according to Darabont) King allows him to pick whatever film he wants to do. He also says on the commentary that King liked the ending and couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it. He did a student film based on one of King's short stories - something King allows people to do for non-profit btw, you just have to ask permission first.

I loved the novel but I could never watch the film because a friend of mine ( who watched and was quite horrified by the ending ) he did spoil to me and I decided I could not watch it- as a father - but I agree that artistically speaking, it is a fine ending. King depicts realistically the sense of desolation a group of people trapped inside a supermarket ( out there you have all these Lovecraftian monsters ) feel and still they try to survive. Rain storms and supermarkets were never the same for me after then.

I loved the novel but I could never watch the film because a friend of mine ( who watched and was quite horrified by the ending ) he did spoil to me and I decided I could not watch it- as a father - but I agree that artistically speaking, it is a fine ending. King depicts realistically the sense of desolation a group of people trapped inside a supermarket ( out there you have all these Lovecraftian monsters ) feel and still they try to survive. Rain storms and supermarkets were never the same for me after then.

The ending of the film pretty ruined it for me.

Stephen King told Thomas Jane he wished he’d written the ending as seen in the film. I agree; I thought it was supremely good storytelling and fitted incredibly well with the themes - particularly the Christian elements of sacrifice.

I read it went down better (the ending) in Britain better than the States which I found intriguing (although how they could measure that, I have no idea!)

pH

I recently read the book and enjoyed the story. I don't find it as gripping as some of King's other works, but it was worth reading.

Then I watched the tv show on Netflix. "The Mist" tv show is different from both the movie and the book, and rather poor. The story has nothing at all in common with the book and left large plot holes throughout. I kept thinking different storylines would resolve, but there were a lot of loose ends. It was cancelled after one season, and for good reason. All the characters led horrible lives and I found myself thinking that when the mist consumes this town entirely, the world will be better off.

I agree. I think that as the mist was some kind of redeeming/atonement force, the characters had to have unpleasant pasts to atone for.

Sadly it was overdone and they became hateful.

Also. No tennacles!! You can’t have us infer a Lovecraft connection then not have elder things!!

pH

Back