Thought Provoking Sci-Fi

Isn't Science Fiction by it's very nature thought provoking?

Isn't Science Fiction by it's very nature thought provoking?

Not necessarily. Don't forget the old-fashioned space opera branch of sf (among others), which is largely adventure stories told in space -- the earlier ones certainly often earned the description of westerns in space, where the western jargon was replaced by "space-age" jargon. Some of these can be fun, yes; but I'd hardly call them "thought-provoking"....

I must look SF with rose tinted glasses. Yes, there's a lot of stuff that i don't like, but there's always a concept or detail that i like.

for me, i got into the sci-fi genre due to its thought provoking qualities. i love pretty much all science fiction because of this(and the fact i can spend hours on end talking about it with my dad.) Science fiction is my fav. genre and this will never change!

I loved Way Station. I have a tattered paperback copy on my shelves somewhere. I can't remember the characters' names (I'm terrible with names) but I remember that, as I read, I felt I was getting to know them as friends.

Another book that I rate highly is John Wyndham's The Chrysalids.

"The Martian Chronicles" is an easy and always makes me think. Like, how do you connect the different stories? Are they supposed to be connected? And look out for the color blue in there, I think it's an interesting symbol to choose for a book about the red planet.

In Caverns Below by Stanton Coblentz a k a The Hidden World . Coblentz was a historian , a science fiction writer and a satirist . He's pretty forgotten which a pity. The particular book is a science fiction dystopian political satire :cool: