My Quasi-Blog (Maybe)

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Because when he gave me this sub-forum Brian said that I could do with it as I would, and because things have lately been about as lively around here as your average corpse, I've been mulling over the idea of treating the Madeline forum like a blog -- or at least like what I conceive a blog to be -- with news about my books, stories, articles (like the infamous "17 Things"), poetry, etc.

(Forestalling the inevitable question, why not just start a real blog: I already have two websites, this forum, and another on another SFF site, so a blog seems extraneous. Plus that still leaves the question of how to liven up this place.)

Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Sounds like a good idea to me. For what it's worth, I do read the new posts in here, but since I haven't yet read any of your work I have nothing much to contribute.

But from an aspiring author to a successful one, I am interested in what you have to say. If you have the time and inclination, why not?

But from an aspiring author to a successful one, I am interested in what you have to say. If you have the time and inclination, why not?

Well, there are certainly a lot of things I have to say on the subject of writing -- sometimes trains of thought prompted by things I see on this forum -- that I don't go into, or don't go into at length, either because I don't want to start an argument in a thread where it seems like we've all stopped talking to each other and are simply talking at each other, or because I don't want to take a thread too far off topic, or simply because what seem to me to be my best ideas occur much later.

It would be handy to have a thread to keep all of these things in one place, a place where I could jot down all such (no doubt incredibly brilliant) ideas, more or less as they occur to me.

Teresa, your posts are always a delight and I think it would be a great inspiration for the rest of us.

(hee hee hee no pressure there luv)

(but no, really, you always have great stuff to say)

That's undoubtedly true, Teresa. Here, you are Mistress of Ceremonies, you can say what you like, and control any discussion that might take place.

I've noticed the occasional tendency in threads for us all to start talking about ourselves. No doubt I've been guilty of it. Even aspiring authors have big egos. I'm very interested in what other people do, though, especially those hallowed few of you who have made it work.

I would suggest not trying to treat a single thread like a master archive of thoughts, but would rather encourage you to keep threads to single streams of consciousness. I personally find threads more than a couple pages intimidating, and often will 'skip to the end' to find the current discussion.

However, I find meaningful blogs effective marketing tools and follow several authors through a 'reader' that lets me know when they post. Forums are more of a 2-way communication tool in my view, and as such can be both a blessing and a curse.

Well, a lot of the folks round here like pictures of food, particularly cakes, so the Pirate Ship thread was a winner; it seems you have a sixth sense about what your readers want. We're ready to hang on your every word.