Kirby or Kidby?

Kirby or Kidby?

• Total voters

Pyan

Noli oblivisci linteum!
Staff member
Supporter
I was just collecting up all my "Discworld" books from around the house to sort them out, and I was struck by the evolution of the cover art.....
So who do you prefer as cover artist, Josh Kirby or Paul Kidby? Or does it make no difference?

Oh, and jot down a few words about your choice please!:)

I have never seen a Kirby cover "in real life." Haven't been into the Pratchett mania too long. I've been having a look every now and then at Paul Kidby's personal website and I like them picture of him. I like his fluent style and all, so I voted for him. Though I have to say, Kirby's cover have a nice chaotic feel over them that fits in with the Discworld perfectly.

The only advantage of the recent covers I can see is that you can read them in the doctor's waiting room without people looking at you strangely.
Well, I can get people looking at me strangely anyway, so the Kirby ones are it; they're alive, and perfectly adapted to the universe they're enclosing.
Not that the characters look like that, of course; but that isn't the point.
It's a mettifor.

I'm surprised this poll hasn't come up before :)

I like both, as Kirby's influence really demonstrates the absurdity of all the stories and characters, while Kidby can get the pictures eactly like what I see in my head when I read.
Also note that Kidby began after Kirby had set the stage, and his work had the originals to build on.
Although, in the end, I was swayed by the beautiful Art of the Discworld, and The Last Hero into the Paul Kidby camp of this violent brutal war of favourites :p

Kidby is good but for perferance it has to be Josh I was lucky enough to pick up some postcards with his artwork on bookcovers for other authors before he became famous for the Discword ones.:)

You've a knack for this, mate!
Enjoying the Conan? *grinds teeth*:D

Kidby, by a mile. You've just got to love those "famous art" lookalike covers of Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment.

Kirby's art is just embarrassing :eek:
And I hate those curly shoes.

I voted "No Preference", because, well, I've no preference.....:D

Heh!
No, I like the Kirbys for their sheer exuberance, but the Kidbys fit my mental picture of the characters better.....as I said, no preference.

For me Kirby mark the early books, the ones I learned to love Pratchett within. But to me they're quite typically fantasy covers. But, the majority of Kirby characters don't really match the physical descriptions, apart, perhaps from those involving a certain style of impractical, leather hero-ing "outfits" that conveniently fold away into the pockets they don't have (along with sleeves, legs, or anything apart from seams, really). With Kidby comes a more realistic characterisation: whilst we always form mental images of those within the pages, Kidby grasped them and honed them for me. Am I allowed to say I rather fancy his Susan Sto Helit (as appearing in the '99 day-to-day calendar)?

Whilst I've no preference, I do believe that the Kidby illustrations suit the hardback books far better than Kirby's.

Is that the same one as on the bookmark, Pteppic? In that case, I agree with you....:D

Kirby. I had a couple of old Discworld calendars on my wall for a while (until I gave them away as gifts) and loved looking at his pictures, lots of little details to enjoy.

I think Kirby's covers are more like little paintings one can look at. Pretty and funny. When Kidby's covers are more like the characters made up by Pratchett. Therefore it's a bit hard to compare the two of them, methinks. Maybe Kidby should draw the cover for a re-release of a Colour of Magic sometime, then we can compare what we like better.

I first met Pratchett with Kirby. They'll always be a favourite for that reason if for no other.

However, I also love the sheer exuberance of Kirby's artwork. Colours, exaggerated details, curls and swirls and all.

I love the detail in them and have spent several happy bus journeys studying the covers.