Serenity 2 A New Hope? (This may actually be for real this time)

Whitestar

At the risk of sounding premature, there is yet hope that a Serenity sequel may be happening sometime real soon. Here is the inside scoop:

Serenity 2 A New Hope?
written by Clint Morris
October 4, 2007

I love “Firefly” – so much so every time I’d see it I’d squeeze its cheeks, bring it in closer and share saliva with it. It’s a show that had the danglers to say “screw you! We’re not going anywhere!” despite the fact the network yanked it after 12 episodes. And then, just when it looked like it was done, it remerged as a full-length mother-hoppin’ movie – and by golly if it didn’t bring a lump to George Lucas’s throat.

When Alan Tudyk told me on the phone this morning that a sequel to “Serenity” – that’s the name of the “Firefly” movie for those who’ve been up at Guantanamo Bay for the past couple of years – could be happening I just about dropped the phone (I didn’t though, because the last time I did that it landed in the loo. Fried itself. And as a consequence, I lost all my numbers.) Tudyk says the newly-released “Serenity : Special Edition“ DVD has been selling so hot, that there’s talk in doing another movie.

“They had to put [the new DVD] out because they’ve been selling out of the other one and so Universal’s like ‘So, let’s do another one’. And now… there’s now a chance there’s going to be another movie”.

Tudyk agrees that even if it was a direct-to-DVD movie, it’d still be worthwhile. Especially since the whole DVD sequel is a big trend.

“It really is”, says Tudyk. “Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another”.

Nathan Fillion, says Tudyk, is especially keen. “We were out a couple of weeks ago together at a party and there was a bunch of people there, and he was like ‘Oh, look we’re Browncoats”.

Great to hear Fillion’s still as crazy as ever about wearing the Tightpants again.

Tudyk says he heard from creator Joss Whedon a few weeks back – but mainly about Tudyk’s role in the new Western “3:10 to Yuma”. “He sent me an email when it first came out because at first he thought I was a different character – by the trailer”, he laughs. “He was like ‘My god! You’re playing such a bad-ass!’ That was Ben Foster, who is such a bad-ass in that movie, and is just brilliant, just brilliant, and we both have a similar look – we both have polish genes – and anyway, Joss writes back ‘Sorry, I didn’t realise you were the sympathetic funny character – how would cast you as that?’. Joss, that would be you!”.

The actor, who appears in the new Frank Oz film “Death at a Funeral”, is absolutely blown-away by the life “Firefly” has had. He’s even headed downunder next week to appear at a science fiction convention. It amazes him even more that he got to do a feature film version of his 12-episode series. “That’s wild; you don’t see that happen until years later when it becomes a campy spoof of the thing. But even then, shows like Dukes of Hazzard and Starsky and Hutch were huge hits [from the beginning, and they didn’t do movies straight away] this was something that was a hit only with a group of people and it just grew.”

Likely to happen before a “Serenity” sequel though is an “I, Robot” sequel. Tudyk visited the set of Will Smith’s latest movie “I am Legend” to talk about the movie recently, and says he’d be super excited to play Sonny the robot again.

Yep, but what about Wash? Now that there’s the shizzle.

See link:
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071004_serenity_2_a_new_hope.html

Shiny! :D I'm gonna git me that special edition and do my part to see this become a reality. :cool:

Sorry, Whitestar - I'll get excited when I'm watching the opening credits...... :rolleyes:

In terms of sequels, is Matrix really a trilogy we want to use for comparison?

I am trying not to be pesimistic but I am with Pyan. When those opening credits role, I will be there popcorn and drink in hand, but until then I have DVD'S

In terms of sequels, is Matrix really a trilogy we want to use for comparison?
I didn't mean to imply that, I was thinking of the Second X-Files film, which I don't think is ever going to happen, yet the cast and Chris Carter still talk about every six months like it's going to happen tomorrow. It just strikes me that the Firefly cast and Joss are doing the same.

Fair point, didn't mean it that way; just being facetious...

Glad to see I'm not the only pessimist - or should that be realist?

I realise that this is a really old thread, but I felt like commenting anyway. I love Firefly and Serenity and when I saw this article (actually I think wasn't this one, but a similar one) last year I was so excited! ...Only to then see the rumours completely shot down.

I really do hope that they continue the story a little bit more. I'd love to see what River does with her new-found abilities and how the crew copes with Wash and Book.

The trouble is, as time goes by, actors get older or move onto other things, the chances get more and more remote. If I win Euromillions I'll finance it myself, wish me luck :)

Really hope this happens.

Need more films because they cut the series wayyy to short:(

I was thinking of the Second X-Files film, which I don't think is ever going to happen, yet the cast and Chris Carter still talk about every six months like it's going to happen tomorrow. It just strikes me that the Firefly cast and Joss are doing the same.
Well, as 'The X-File Files: I Want To Believe' is finally reaching cinema screens, I guess I'll have to eat my words and maybe 'Serenity 2' might actually follow it?

I can see one part. Isaac Asimov (the guy who wrote the iRobot--er I mean, uh, I, Robot-- wrote a series of them. They could very easily make a second one. As for Serenity II, as much as I love it Firefly and Serenity, the chances that they'll make a sequel is pretty low, pretty much because it can't really be exploited into low-grade video games, toys for kids, and other cheap money-makers.

I would give my artery-blood to see Serenity 2 realised. Seriously, if some Paramount execs stood over me, knife in hand, I would let them flay me to ribbons if they promised to catch the blood in a fountain pen which they then used to sign the contract funding the film.

It would be good to see them expand from where Serenity left off. I'd like to see some of the action hit the streets of the core planets, see what the weakening of the Alliance has done to them. Actually, screw it. I'd pay just to have the cast all sitting in Serenity for two hours if Joss Whedon wrote it.

Fanboi for life :cool:

Was pi**ed when they finished the series and thought the film was superb!

Unfortunately, this makes my DVD series and film collection, along with my fondness for the whole franchise a little high (pedestal high!). I just hope they don't ruin my love for the Firefly/Serenity Universe if they make another film.

Haven't seen much of the Firefly series yet (will probably have to buy it cuz I keep missing reruns on SciFi), but I LOVED Serenity.

*Grabs popcorn and sits next to Eru, waiting for movie to start*

Uh, could you tell the fellas with the knives to hold out a bit?:D

Welcome to The Chrons, Shadow. Stop by the Introductions thread and tell us a little more about yourself, if so inclined!

Originally posted by Eurananion

I would give my artery-blood to see Serenity 2 realised. Seriously, if some Paramount execs stood over me, knife in hand, I would let them flay me to ribbons if they promised to catch the blood in a fountain pen which they then used to sign the contract funding the film.

Right on the money there Eurananion, I think even I, who hates the sight of blood, could be persuaded if they promised to do another movie, even a new series!!!!!!!