Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series

I quite liked this series, particularly how the sithi were depicted, and the idea of how someone tries to bend the entire universe askew to correct a grievous wrong. That said, I found it hard to swallow the ending. It just seemed so off, and then a pair of smaller cruelties thrown in for seemingly no reason at all.. ?

Almost finished this series. I am a huge fan of his writing ability. If only all of us could use the English language with such skill. The story has been really great so far. All the separate plots going at once. Will look at his other works after I am done with this series.

This is one of my all-time favorite fantasy stories. It's really the only set of Williams' work I've been able to get into, but I've recommended it liberally. Even staying with the traditional antecedents of fantasy, it's different enough to keep one's interest, and the characters are engaging. A true hero's journey.

I much prefered Otherland to MS&T, actually. Both are huge, and qite complicated, but Otherland has that extra little bit of imagination I soimehow found lacking in MS&T... Maybe it's just me?

It's not just you :) Otherland has more than a "extra little bit" of imagination by comparison - it's as if it was written by a different author! I found Otherland incredibly engrossing, not only immensely imaginative and original but with wonderful character development. On the flip side, I have actually set the Dragon Bone Chair aside (for now) after getting thru 500 pages. I can't take it anymore right now. Perhaps I'm just tired of the fantasy genre's predictability, but that doesn't excuse the lack of depth in the characters. I really don't find any of them interesting. I find I don't even care about Simon :(

With Otherland I thought I had found my favorite author, however, after reading Tailspinner (thought it was very average) and my current disappointment with MS&T, I'm thinking maybe Otherland is just William's one live round in a chamber full of blanks?

I guess it's true that The Dragonbone Chair starts off with quite a slow pace, but I would recommend persevering with MS&T, as it really does improve as it goes on. Predictable isn't really a word i'd use to describe the majority of this story, as it surprised me on numerous occasions. Overall one of my favourite reads.

Haven't checked out Otherworld however, might have to judging by the opinions of it here.

Wow, now that I've read this thread I feel like I should give this series another chance! I started reading Dragonbone Chair for a group read, but I (and actually, many members of the group) could not finish it. I think I got about 450 pages in and then stopped and thought, "What is the PLOT of this book?" I just didn't know. The book seemed to involve so many random incidents that weren't really important to the continuation of the story (which is an unjustified statement, I admit, as I didn't read the second half of the story). But really, if you guys all think it's that good ... !

You should definitely read the rest of it. You won't regret it. I love how the Sithi are depicted, their story is so sad, even with Ineluki, I find myself sympathising with him.

Wow, now that I've read this thread I feel like I should give this series another chance! I started reading Dragonbone Chair for a group read, but I (and actually, many members of the group) could not finish it. I think I got about 450 pages in and then stopped and thought, "What is the PLOT of this book?" I just didn't know. The book seemed to involve so many random incidents that weren't really important to the continuation of the story (which is an unjustified statement, I admit, as I didn't read the second half of the story). But really, if you guys all think it's that good ... !

I got thru 500 pages. The next 50 didn't make a difference. I agree it just seems to be going no where. I will try again sometime but I have too many others to get at first.

It took me a while to get into, but I like the author so I persevered, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I can't tell you where I am, because I don't count pages. I just met Geloe, if that helps. I'm starting to like it, halfway through a book you could crush a bunny with.

I think it's best fantasy I've ever read. I like it so much because of... many interesting characters, many subjects? I don't know... I like also William's language, he has peculiar pen, especially metarhors.
These books are really good like old fairy tales.

I know it redefines the idea of an 'epic' book but it's definitely worth sticking with! I think Tad Williams does a superb job of using standard fantasy conventions but subverting them at the same time. The level of detail and the use of language lifts the story to a standard far above the majority of fantasy novels.

Keep reading, your patience will be rewarded!

I think novels like these depend on what angle you're approaching from, what books you've readin the past and ones own changing shifting tastes

One can have pre-conceived notions about how something should be written, whether one likes Story, Atmosphere, Character etc

I think sometimes the best attribute of a book or series can be found in it's details, and perhaps that is Williams' strong point

I first tried to read this book a good while ago now, but I couldn't get into it. I think it's about time I found a copy and tried again.

It is rewarding if you can, but only if you're in the mood for a series you can invest your life in! I have a bad habit of speed reading on re-reads, and I just CAN'T with these; they take up both parts of my brain (or is that both brain cells?). The only thing I take exception to is, like with Tolkien, the POETRY! He is very like Tolkien in the intricacy, and realism, down to creating several language structures, all of the cultures are fully developed and mapped out, and the history of the world is there from the start. You feel like Tad Williams has lived there, as well as writing it.

I've just finished reading The Dragonbone Chair and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I haven't felt as absorbed by a book since I finished reading Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies and I can't wait to get my teeth into Book 2!! I am a huge fan of Binabek's, a really lovely and well written character and I look forward to finding out what becomes of everyone.....................

Which series is his best? Which would you recomend to a newbie that wanna read the best he has done? This?, Shadomarch series? Otherland?

Which series is his best? Which would you recomend to a newbie that wanna read the best he has done? This?, Shadomarch series? Otherland?

Personally I think if LOTR had never been written then the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series could have easily taken its place. So I think that is Tad's best work. However, I am really liking the new Shadowmarch series, it shows a writer who has really come into his own in my oppinion. The Shadowmarch series was very interesting to me because I could not really find the "hero" of the story there seemed to be more then one.

So i geuss you recomend both ;)

I shall start with MST and see how his style is.

The first time I read The dragon bone chair I gave up because I found it extremely boring. A few years later I gave it another go and I loved it.

Its a hard slog first time round but well worth it :)

Personally I think if LOTR had never been written then the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series could have easily taken its place.

MS&T does seem almost identical to LotR, but then again... so many books do. I agree with your comment, however. I feel that Tad Williams wrote his way out of the same old story, and it is truly his writing that I keep coming back for. MS&T strikes me as being 'as good for what it is' as LotR. I never thought I would say that, and I always think about how I feel about it, even years later. I think LotR ended better.

As far as Mr. William's other works, I became addicted to the Otherland books first, and they are still my favorite. Strangely enough, I would recommend War of The Flowers as a first read for Tad Williams. It stands alone and sets you up perfectly to get a feel for his style, his command of the story, his character depth, and so on. Best of all, it prepares the reader for the most challenging part of every Tad Williams book I've ever read... the first couple hundred pages.