Thoughts on Making Money so far...

Started it a couple of days ago.

First things - I don't like the chapters. Pratchett set out in chapters is just... unnatural.

It might be down to the fact that it was 4am when I started it, but I disliked the first chapter. Hopefully it'll be better on the re-read at a normal time. :rolleyes:

Right, I finished it earlier today.

It definitely gets better from about Chapter 4 or 5 onwards. It's a good book, but not as good as some of his most recent ones, such as Thud!. It also seems to continue the trend his later books have of being slightly dark. And it also shows how much the world is progressing. You can tell how much work he's put it into it, and how much he's developed it since his first outing with The Colour Of Magic.

And I've got to comment on The Glooper. There's always a bit of genius in a Pratchett novel, and The Glooper was the genius in Making Money. Brilliant! Makes me wonder if he's got all of his strange machines and such in his own basement. You can't make things like that up. Same goes for the cabinet. :p

Well he has had a long and distinguished line of computers for gaming and writing, that probably is the source of his love for strange machines. Hex is a work of art :D

Well I finished making money just recently.

What can I say, apart from another superb bit of misdirection.

This book is a lot more subtle than the previous books. I think his writing has changed from Mort, and WYrd Sisters and not for the worse. This book was very slow to start, but it needed to be slow to start, it required careful handling, and thats what it got.

Was I the only one to laugh out loud at the squeaky toy being put back by Aguina. It was almost one might say a non joke. So subtle if you were blinikng as he you read it you may have missed it.

Yup my only crtisism was that it was slow to start and a heck of a lot was crammed into the last few chapters.

But overall a great book.

Until Making Money, I was an unconditional devotee of Pratchett - but somehow, this one fell flat for me. Apart from the Chairman, the squeaky toy and the Glooper, the Pratchett brilliance was missing. No magic. I'm leaving it for a month or so, and will re-read, in the hope that the deficiency was in myself, and that I'll be more receptive on a second reading.

Good book, got the limited edition one.

Not brilliant, but a pretty good read. Its a pity that Pratchett had to use the same 'scene-ender' in Making Money as he did in Going Postal (the whole 'Hes walked off with your pencil'), but other than that its quite good.

I quite enjoyed the running "walked off with your pencil" gag, especially since it made me take note as soon as drumknott put the pencil in his pocket. :)

Maybe it doesn't look so good because you're waiting so long for it? It happened more than once that I looked forward to something real bad and when it was there, it wasn't so cool after all. Not that it wasn't cool, but you expected more of it. Then, after a couple, say, weeks, you looked back at it and thought it was actually really cool after all...

I think with thoughts like this one I can easily join the Philosopher's Guild! :D

So, in the case of Pratchett, a good marketing scheme would be to manage expectations rather than hyperbolize (*cough*rowling*cough*)

One can never say 'yes' or 'no' when part of the Philosopher's Guild. It's always maybe or perhaps. :D

I have to agree with Torasponda. I enjoyed it, but it lacked some of the glitter of Going Postal. I wish I could say what it was, but the missing piece escapes me. I'm looking forward to another read when I get the time so I can rule out my own ineptitude...

Right, I finished it earlier today.

It definitely gets better from about Chapter 4 or 5 onwards. It's a good book, but not as good as some of his most recent ones, such as Thud!. It also seems to continue the trend his later books have of being slightly dark. And it also shows how much the world is progressing. You can tell how much work he's put it into it, and how much he's developed it since his first outing with The Colour Of Magic.

And I've got to comment on The Glooper. There's always a bit of genius in a Pratchett novel, and The Glooper was the genius in Making Money. Brilliant! Makes me wonder if he's got all of his strange machines and such in his own basement. You can't make things like that up. Same goes for the cabinet. :p

Lenny,

Sorry to disappoint you but there is an actual hydraulic computer in existence in the UK. It was developed to assess fiscal policy back in the 50s.

Probably why it makes an appearance in this book....

Can't remember exact details but when I hook up with my library I will look up the details.

Never mind, found it here -

MONIAC Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmph. Silly LSE. Stealing Pratchett's ideas.

The Glooper is by far the better of the two. Looks a damn sight better in my opinion. And it functions better. :rolleyes: :p

I enjoyed the book, but I don't think it will become one of my favourites. I wasn't too excited about it initially because I didn't really get into Going Postal, but I went to a Pratchett book signing with a friend, so the chance to get a copy signed personally was too good to resist!
I loved the Vetinari-aspiring Cosmo subplot, as I too am rather fascinated by the Patrician, so I liked the amount of Vetinari coverage. The Chairman is great, and Moist is a very entertaining character, but I didn't read Making Money with the enjoyment that I derived from, say, Thud!, or the Fifth Elephant.