Firefly

How is it not sf enough for you?
reminds me of a quote

I don't think the level of sf is as important as the characters and their potential stories, I would have liked to known more about Book's back story for instance.

No I meant the music and the cowboy look. Oh never mind,I give up. Firefly is great.

Sure, here you go!
gallery_euro_badger_icon.jpg

I know that there were comics released by Joss Whedon, but does anyone know if there are any plans for spin off novels?

I got this DVD series after seeing the movie. I so enjoyed it, such a shame it didnt continue

No no my complaint is that it looks like they just decided to do a SF western. Kinda like Rawhide in space. And the music just gets on my wick! Is worse than the theme to Enterprise!

I appreciate I am coming in very late here, but, I have only just joined this fabulous forum. So forgive me if this has already been said.

The whole point of it, according to the originator and genius, Joss Whedon, was that as space is in general terms called, 'the last/final frontier', why not explore the frontier element further and set a series in space but with a frontier feel to it.

It is set some years after a major conflict which leaves many of those that were originally on the side of good, hunted as rebels by the now corrupt governing power.

In his futuristic setting, there are only two languages that have survived that being Chinese and English, hence the characters slipping in and out of the two languages.

As for the theme tune, all I have to say is that, a) it's not a musical & b) Joss wrote that himself!

I loved this series and it is such a shame that the networks are more interested in ratings than writings! One day someone will see Joss for the genius he is and stop dropping his shows! It was brilliantly written and extremely well acted. I love the fact that Joss is more about character building and he is VERY good at getting the best out of his cast and crew.

Hugs to one and all xx :eek::D:eek:

Shiny!

Firefly is one of the very best Space Westerns I've ever seen - and I can almost (but, as a committed Taraphile, not quite) forgive JW for the last twenty-five episodes and ten minutes of Buffy because of it.

Firefly was seriously underrated. There was some great science fiction background and I loved the western frontier style and setting. Firefly really shines (ha ha) when it comes to character. Good actors plus great lines equals engaging viewing, regardless of whether or not you're on a space ship. I tend to like Serenity, even more and it is a testament to Whedon's tenacity that he got a movie made based upon a series that in televisual terms had technically failed. We should watch and re-watch Firefly/Serenity because it is excellent but also be hopeful that Whedon will pull something else, just as excellent, out from his sleeve in the future.

it is a testament to Whedon's tenacity that he got a movie made based upon a series that in televisual terms had technically failed

Only fitting, as he got a TV series made based on a movie that failed*. :) So here's to tenacity!

* or at least wasn't a great success

I came to Firefly very late - my daughter bought me the box set last Xmas - and it is brilliant. Not as juvenile as Buffy but with far more interesting characters than almost any sf series I can think of. Unfortunately, every time I watch Firefly or Serenity, I end up thinking of all those brilliant stories that can now never be told and start shouting,"Fox are &$@&@$!!?!!!" at the screen! These people are well acquainted with the sin of Onan and, although they couldn't be bothered to support the production, they squat on the rights like fat toads so no-one else can make Firefly! Fox collectively are the final stage of the digestive process. Incidentally, the Mandarin/Cantonese influence both in the look of the series and in allowing the characters to swear profusely without getting into trouble with the censors is both brilliant artistically and justified by assuming that China became the major world power (well, they already own America financially). And looking at the 'verse through the eyes of the losing side is really fresh take - imagine Star Trek after the Borg take over most of the Alpha Quadrant! If you watch the DVD extras, Josh Wheedon talks about his characters being Confederate soldiers after the Amercan Civil War.

Bring back Firefly! Fox are b$$$$$$$s!

Unfortunatey, Fox didn't kill the show because someone evil in the programming department hated it. The killed it because the ratings were low. Not enough of us (myself included) watched it. I was only semi-aware of it when it was on and didn't see it until I saw the movie and bought the DVDs. Sometimes some of the best material just doesn't find its audience until it's too late. Programs show up occasionally on SyFY or NetFlix or somewhere else that I missed first time around and I realize I would have loved six or seven seasons of it. One example was Special Unit 2. Likable actors, fun stories. One and a half seasons and I never saw it until it was gone.

Unfortunatey, Fox didn't kill the show because someone evil in the programming department hated it. The killed it because the ratings were low. Not enough of us (myself included) watched it. I was only semi-aware of it when it was on and didn't see it until I saw the movie and bought the DVDs. Sometimes some of the best material just doesn't find its audience until it's too late. Programs show up occasionally on SyFY or NetFlix or somewhere else that I missed first time around and I realize I would have loved six or seven seasons of it. One example was Special Unit 2. Likable actors, fun stories. One and a half seasons and I never saw it until it was gone.

That's Fox's fault though. They all but sabotaged any chance it had of success. The pilot was not shown first, so you were dropped into the Train Job with no idea who anyone was or what River's story was. They constantly changed the show's time slot and day of the week, keeping it from building a natural audience. They didn't promote it hardly at all. Fox dropped the ball from top to bottom on the show and then pulled the plug without ever even giving it a chance to attract ratings.

Don't forget they advertised it as a comedy rather than as a character study! The comedic value is just good writing, not the purpose of the show as the initial adverts seemed to imply.
I didn't hear about it until years later. Hopefully a similar show will use the best parts someday and carry the idea further.

That's Fox's fault though. They all but sabotaged any chance it had of success. The pilot was not shown first, so you were dropped into the Train Job with no idea who anyone was or what River's story was. They constantly changed the show's time slot and day of the week, keeping it from building a natural audience. They didn't promote it hardly at all. Fox dropped the ball from top to bottom on the show and then pulled the plug without ever even giving it a chance to attract ratings.

Call me cynical but it looks like they make these genre shows fail deliberately. They know they're not going to attract a big TV audience but they also know that there's a big DVD market for these shows - especially Joss Whedon's shows. So...make one or two seasons of a show, let it fail to get it off the schedules, then flog a few million DVDs, then onto the next one. Making SF shows is expensive, which is why Angel got cancelled despite good ratings, but even a failure can sell a lot of DVDs, as Firefly has shown.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
Parzival Firefly 0