Firefly

Uhhhh...I only remember one episode where they were actually riding horses, could be wrong...it was the one where Mal went to sell the "illegal" salvage and the horse riders were dressed more like "Road Warrior" than a western.

Oh well. I give up.

Yah only the first episode with horses - in the rest they were a saple background feature - mostly I think to help us get an idea for how poor these frontiers were

Yes i know but why does it have to be stetson wearing cowboys on horses,yee ha-ing it! I must ask you to stand down,or I will shoot. Was expecting Clint Eastwood's man with no name to turn up any moment. Just comes across as unimaginative and cliched. They even had a train robbery for god's sake! I cringed when I read that in the Info box!

Eh? The show is the show, and one of the central themes is that there was an American revolution in space, but this time the American's lost.

In any case having horses etc. is actually pretty good science. On border planets which are recently colonised the level of technology would be extremely low, and it would be more cost-effective short term to use horse-power while you get the power stations up and running.

And they never once said yee-ha.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I found the Sam Elliot character in The Golden Compass much more annoying, what with the "I reckons" and "Howdys".

Eh? The show is the show, and one of the central themes is that there was an American revolution in space, but this time the American's lost.

Not only did they never once say "yee-ha!", but they never once mentioned America either, to my knowledge. (Correct me if I'm wrong and tell me wich episode/segment, or part of Serenity that was, because I own all of them). To me, it seemed more of a different version of an "evil" empire (not so blatantly evil as Satr Wars) against a fair number of "rebels" that didn't want to be so sedately controlled. You could draw parallels to American history/revolution and so on, but I don't recall a specific reference to the rebels originating from the USA.

But Foxy,it being an american show,concerning pioneers on a new planet they had to make the characters look like cowboys didn't they! I wonder how it would have looked if it had been a European production,or even Japanese! Samurai soldiers?

It's funny how people seem to have a real problem with the frontiers look of Firefly, yet no one seems to have any issue with the use of Mandarin into every day usage. We've had not one comment on that. Why is that more believable or acceptable? (I only recall hearing this sort of thing in Blade Runner.)

They're language is often interspersed with what sounds like Chinese. I assume Manderine. (Admittedly it's substitute swear words like Gosah etc.)

They're language is often interspersed with what sounds like Chinese. I assume Manderine. (Admittedly it's substitute swear words like Gosah etc.)

It's intentional. If you have the DVD set, there's a segment in the extras where they discuss it.

Oh i appreciate that, i'm just saying that everyone will complain about the Low tech cowboy look which i personally felt was accurate.

No no my complaint is that it looks like they just decided to do a SF western. Kinda like Rawhide in space. And the music just gets on my wick! Is worse than the theme to Enterprise!

No no my complaint is that it looks like they just decided to do a SF western. Kinda like Rawhide in space. And the music just gets on my wick! Is worse than the theme to Enterprise!

Sorry, I just can't go along with you on this. If you're referring to the wimpy theme to Star Trek Enterprise, it's waaay worse!!! :p

I'd have to agree with that. When i first heard it, i thought WTF!?!?!?! I'll bet i'm not the only one.

Apart from the actual title song, the rest of the Firefly Soundtrack wasn't too bad.

Two things. When do they say Gosah? I thought the substitution was Gorram.

Also AE35, although I do get your point about the cowboy/American old west link, but - the theme song isn't really country & western. If you live in America, you will find that most country & western has a style that's unmistakably "non-urban" (except for Keith Urban who still sounds folksy to me ;).)

IMO, the theme music to firefly is a little more like folk-blues, if you could say there was such a genre. There's no southern "twang" in the singers' voice, and while it does use acoustic guitar, it sounds more like Bon-Jovi, or Joe Walsh when they do that acoustic blues thing.

How is it not sf enough for you?
reminds me of a quote
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

I don't think the level of sf is as important as the characters and their potential stories, I would have liked to known more about Book's back story for instance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
Parzival Firefly 0