Best DS9 Character?

I take a bit back, Sisko wasn't so bad, just a bit mechanical.
Jadzia wasn't so bad either, she was pretty :). Her problem though, was this big old history of personalities she has to act into, which didn't match who you were seeing. Also, Sisko's unconvincing need to jibe her, with this 'old man' bollocks, got to me. Jadzia should of wacked him!
The show never worried Babylon 5 in the acting/story department, the effects and certainly the sets, may have been superior though.

I think that the procrastinator is right. It's difficult to single out one great character as there were so many good characters with some great story arcs.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE likes Odo? I guess I have to finish watching the series, to be sure. I forgot about Garak, and, yes, he's great. Even 1 of my other faves, Quark, was mentioned by some posters.

I actually used to hate O'Brien, cos he would act like a RACIST jackass (maybe that was more TNG than DS9, here), but he got better, over time.

Dr. Bashir used to rub me the wrong way, for some reason, and a friend of mine had the same reaction to him, but the jury's sorta still out on him: gotta see more eps with him as a focus: like that Bashir ep everyone seems to like :)

I remember, at first, being PISSED that, of all the random characters they picked from TNG to put on the show, they picked Worf and O'Brien!!!!! Worf grew on me fairly quickly, though, when I realized he got pretty deep as a character. I like how Worf is able to date outside his race, but I guess he doesn't have much of a choice lol.

But do you see how they are all outcasts (or at the very least rebels) from their own societies? (Spoilers follow)

Kira - former freedom fighter, now in bed with an imperialist power (some might say.)
Bashir - an illegally genetically engineered individual
Worf - a Klingon brought up by humans
Odo - a founder who shuns his own race for the love of a solid
Garak - an exiled out of favour spy
O'Brien and Keiko - a family man in a war zone/ replaced by his alternative reality self at one point
Sisko - a man who wants to leave Starfleet and does not believe in Prophets thrust into the very pivotal centre of the Dominion Wars and found to be the Emissary
Nog - first Ferengi in Starfleet
Quark - not your typical Grand Nagus
Rom - completely unlike any other Ferengi (has no lobes)
Jadzia/Ezri - old heads on young bodies, but also the unconventional in marrying a Klingon, breaking the rules.

I could go on - Casey the marquis , Leeta the feminist dabo girl - all of them are either unusual for their race/profession or else are seriously character flawed.

The whole station is populated by misfits!

But do you see how they are all outcasts (or at the very least rebels) from their own societies? (Spoilers follow)

Kira - former freedom fighter, now in bed with an imperialist power (some might say.)
Bashir - an illegally genetically engineered individual
Worf - a Klingon brought up by humans
Odo - a founder who shuns his own race for the love of a solid
Garak - an exiled out of favour spy
O'Brien and Keiko - a family man in a war zone/ replaced by his alternative reality self at one point
Sisko - a man who wants to leave Starfleet and does not believe in Prophets thrust into the very pivotal centre of the Dominion Wars and found to be the Emissary
Nog - first Ferengi in Starfleet
Quark - not your typical Grand Nagus
Rom - completely unlike any other Ferengi (has no lobes)
Jadzia/Ezri - old heads on young bodies, but also the unconventional in marrying a Klingon, breaking the rules.

I could go on - Casey the marquis , Leeta the feminist dabo girl - all of them are either unusual for their race/profession or else are seriously character flawed.

Never looked at it that way. Good point.
We (my wife and I) just started (actually, just re-started) watching the 7th season on DVD. I'm disapointed at how slow and boring this season turned out (with a few exceptions and we're not done yet).

Sysco is my favorite character in all the Star Trek universe, but I had forgotten about Garak. The actor did a fantastic job with him and the character was fun to watch.

Personally, I got sick of Kira being a little too unbeatable after a season or two (one time she was pregnant and managed to overpower half the security force--my wife thought that was particularly funny).

There was an early episode that was fantastic with a Cardassian war criminal and Kira confronting him. One of the best episodes in all the Star Trek universe, IMO.

Overall I appreciated the more gritty feel of Deep Space 9, but I think the creative team became a tad reptitive in subject matter and does anyone actually like the Ferengi-focused episodes???

There was an early episode that was fantastic with a Cardassian war criminal and Kira confronting him. One of the best episodes in all the Star Trek universe, IMO.

Maritza was just awesome. Grade A performance.

I think characters like Navark Li Nalas and Maquis commander Michael Eddington deserve honorable mention. They were standout characters in my book.

...does anyone actually like the Ferengi-focused episodes???
I didn't think they were as funny as the producers and writers obviously did, although some were very clever - Little Green Men, the Roswell episode.

My personal gripe was that they took a rather menacing new race from TNG and made them into poor comic foils.

The episodes I disliked were the Benny Russell/Incredible Tales magazine ones, which was just DS9 eating itself.

On the whole I wasn't too keen on the Ferengi episodes, although I always enjoyed "Brunt: FCA" so that was some consolation. I'm with you Dave, about the Benny Russell episodes - a term starting with W, middling like ankles, and ending like jewellery comes to mind.

And Protectobot - I put my hand up for Odo - didn't you see?? One lone voice...

Brunt was good. I liked Quark, but I agree that the Ferengi episodes weren't the best.

I never saw the last few series first time round, watching them now on Channel One (think that's Virgin 1's new name). The Benny Russell stuff is just a bit... weird and rubbish. Like finding a Gordon Brown karaoke video on youtube.

Maritza was just awesome. Grade A performance.

I think characters like Navark Li Nalas and Maquis commander Michael Eddington deserve honorable mention. They were standout characters in my book.

I forgot about him. Yes, I thought he was done particularly well and the Federation vs the Maquis episodes were quite compelling (IMO) in that they really attacked the moral gray area; something DS9 seemed to do much better than TNG (I watched very little Voyager or Enterprise).

Perhaps my favorite line--and the one that set the tone for DS9--came from an early episode when Q shows up and Sisko hits him: "Piccard never hit me!" "I'm not Piccard."

I think one of the reasons I'm not enjoying season 7 as much right now (as we watch them on DVD) is because it seems too many episodes offer Sysco for a couple of scenes in his office and nothing more.

But do you see how they are all outcasts (or at the very least rebels) from their own societies?

I think your post was for me, maybe?, since I think of Odo as an outcast. He really WAS 'a man alone' for a while, if I may borrow the title of an ep that has a different meaning :)

And Protectobot - I put my hand up for Odo - didn't you see?? One lone voice...

WHOA lol. When I saw the most popular characters listed and an apparent lack of representation for Odo, it made me wonder if his character seems too cliched: a grump guy who's actually a pretty good person, but it takes a while for him to warm up to someone. I'm kinda NEW to the show, though, so maybe I don't have him pegged, yet, and I don't wanna give away too much, cos other posters might be as new to the ST world as I am :)

I musta missed your vote, cos I thought all you said was it's hard to pick a favorite. I guess I'm not very picky, because I also tend to like almost all ST characters in general, though :)

Worf, his character was allowed to develop and grow in DS9 in 4 seasons more than he was able to in 7 seasons of TNG plus Worf is just awesome!

Morn!! (Just kidding. :))

I don't know that I really have a favorite main character as they all have good and bad points and, as others have said, were an ensemble. Worf might be an option but that's more from his TNG-ness than strictly as a DS9 character and he was only on for about half the show. Jadzia might be another but that might not be my brain saying that and I hated Ezri and the whole transitional situation (thanks, Terry - it's my understanding she just quit). Kira and Odo also have their points.

But if we're not confined to main characters - and we're not - then I echo a whole lot of other people (and nice to see that) in saying Garak, specifically echoing reiver33 and Dave on the best scene. Garak is just a classic case of complexity, drama, and humor and brilliantly played as well.

Old thread but thanks for resurrecting it, cyrus - I miss DS9.

DS9 had so many great supporting characters: Garak, Weyoun, etc. I enjoyed Nicole Boer's Dax. It's too bad she was only around for one season. I would love to see that character in a Star Trek TV show or movie.