Robert Silverberg

But people here seem to be saying that Silverberg wrote his best stuff in the 60-70s. Have anyone else read The Face of the Waters? It was written in 1991. Could you tell me if his earlier books are better?
Try his Majipoor books started in the late '70s, one of the best science fantasy series I've come across. Also stories like Dying Inside, Nightwings, Downward To The Earth and Book Of Skulls are worth investigating.

Never read Face Of The Waters, so I can't commet on that one.

I finished 'The Time Hoppers'. No great revelations later. I thought he could have developed some ideas further.

A question: The other Silverberg book I picked up was 'The Majipoor Chronicles' (of the Lord Valentine trilogy which several people here have now recommended including GOLLUM just above) but it is the second book of the trilogy. It seems to be a stand alone novel; I think the prologue to the book is actually the events of the first book. Should I read it, or wait and read 'Lord Valentine's Castle' first?

I finished 'The Time Hoppers'. No great revelations later. I thought he could have developed some ideas further.

A question: The other Silverberg book I picked up was 'The Majipoor Chronicles' (of the Lord Valentine trilogy which several people here have now recommended including GOLLUM just above) but it is the second book of the trilogy. It seems to be a stand alone novel; I think the prologue to the book is actually the events of the first book. Should I read it, or wait and read 'Lord Valentine's Castle' first?

You really should wait.

I have had the same problem. I have always seen the second book but havent been able to find the first book. Which is why i havent read the series yet.

Plus its not a good idea to read a prologue that tells the story of the first book. Specially not when its his most famous series.

You really should wait.

I have had the same problem. I have always seen the second book but havent been able to find the first book. Which is why i havent read the series yet.

Plus its not a good idea to read a prologue that tells the story of the first book. Specially not when its his most famous series.
Actually just to clarify, this book is mainly a series of short stories that connects one of the charatcers from Lord Valentine's castle BUT does little to progress the story of the main charatcer from Book 1. Therefore you can actually in this case read that book before getting Lord Valentine.

You will also find in the majipoor books that not all are direct sequels to previous books as they jump around 1,000 years at a time to different Lords in charge of the city.

Here's a comment on Book 2 from the silverberg website:

This the second book in the series begun with Lord Valentine's Castle. This is a collection of stories set on Majipoor connected by short interludes with Hissune (one of the characters from Book 1). As the copyright page says: Portions of this book have appeared in somewhat different form in Omni, Fantasy & Science Fiction, and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. It adds some interesting details to the history and geography of the big planet, but does not really further the story of Valentine.

Cheers....:)

Thanks for those replies. I know I shouldn't have read the prologue, but I didn't realise that it would spoil the first book in that way. The Majipoor Chronicles does seem to be a number of separate stories - there are memory tapes that Hissune has access to that tell 10-year life stories of random dead people.

Actually just to clarify, this book is mainly a series of short stories that connects one of the charatcers from Lord Valentine's castle BUT does little to progress the story of the main charatcer from Book 1. Therefore you can actually in this case read that book before getting Lord Valentine.

You will also find in the majipoor books that not all are direct sequels to previous books as they jump around 1,000 years at a time to different Lords in charge of the city.

Here's a comment on Book 2 from the silverberg website:

This the second book in the series begun with Lord Valentine's Castle. This is a collection of stories set on Majipoor connected by short interludes with Hissune (one of the characters from Book 1). As the copyright page says: Portions of this book have appeared in somewhat different form in Omni, Fantasy & Science Fiction, and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. It adds some interesting details to the history and geography of the big planet, but does not really further the story of Valentine.

Cheers....:)

I didnt know that but its not surprising.

Still there is no need to read out of order when you can read the first book.

I have 3 other books by him im reading as i wrote earlier in this thread. Otherwise i would get Lord Valentine fast ;)

I missed that, what are they?

The Man in the Maze,Nightwings,Downward to Earth.

I have read The Man in The Maze so far liking it. Well done characters,nice ideas,story,interesting aliens.