Questions for Mary Hoffman

Hello again, Mary,

One thing that always interests me with books is when authors put epigrams at the beginning of their novel as a way of reflecting something about the novel. I really the ones you selected for the Stravaganza books, as well as the ones from The Falconer's Knot and Troubadour.

How do you go about choosing one that fits? With so many words written by so many people, it must not be an easy thing to do...

Hello again, Mary,

One thing that always interests me with books is when authors put epigrams at the beginning of their novel as a way of reflecting something about the novel. I really the ones you selected for the Stravaganza books, as well as the ones from The Falconer's Knot and Troubadour.

How do you go about choosing one that fits? With so many words written by so many people, it must not be an easy thing to do...

Hello, Feorin!

If I may correct you, it's an epigraph rather than an epigram but they are great fun to choose. I see what I stumble across while I'm writing the book, usually during the research stage.

With City if Swords, there is an important falling in love at first sight and we had been to see As you Like it before I submitted it, which has lots of similar happenings in the plot, so I picked a couple from there.

I'm so glad you notice them and like them!

Mary

Thank you for answering so many questions, Mary!

(And also for the fact that they are epigraphs, not epigrams - I had to look that up afterward to learn the distinction. Oops...)

I hope I can ask a more mundane question. I noticed that in City of Stars, Cesare and Paolo's surname is "Montabani", but in City of Secrets, the name has become "Montalbano". Is their name "Montalbani" or "Montalbano"?

I noticed that in City of Stars, Cesare and Paolo's surname is "Montabani", but in City of Secrets, the name has become "Montalbano". Is their name "Montalbani" or "Montalbano"?

Sorry, Feorin, I have been away on holiday (in Panama!).

Their surname is Montalbano but in the plural they are referred to as "the Montalbani". I don't have the books with me (I'm on a writing retreat) so I don't know if what you have found is a mistake or a singular/plural confusion. I'll check when I get home.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I was wondering if there is a way to get complete copies of the stories "Sugar Fox" and "The Fourth Wise Man". The stories on the www.stravaganza.co.uk seem to have gaps in them, particularly at the bottom of the pages. "Under the Walls" is complete and I already have the first three short stories. (I think there are gaps in "A Sting in the Tail" as well and someone should probably check the other two stories just in case.)

I love the series and keep checking the site to see if it has been fixed...I don't want to miss ANY of the stories.

Can't wait for City of Swords!

I was wondering if there is a way to get complete copies of the stories "Sugar Fox" and "The Fourth Wise Man". The stories on the www.stravaganza.co.uk seem to have gaps in them, particularly at the bottom of the pages. "Under the Walls" is complete and I already have the first three short stories. (I think there are gaps in "A Sting in the Tail" as well and someone should probably check the other two stories just in case.)

I love the series and keep checking the site to see if it has been fixed...I don't want to miss ANY of the stories.

Can't wait for City of Swords!

I didn't know this! I will send your query direct to my editor and the Stravaganza website administrator. Thanks for flagging it up.

Mary

Hello Mary,

First, I must tell you how much I love the Stravaganza series. I actually didn't know about the series at first and discovered your books when I picked up The Falconer's Knot one day - or rather, my husband did, tired of me browsing through books and wanting me to choose one and get on with it :). So he showed me The Falconer's Knot and said: Doesn't this look like a book you'd enjoy? And it did, of course :) So then I looked for your other books and discoverd the Stravaganza series and gobbled them all up one after the other, and waited eagerly for the next one to be published. I'm sad that the City of Swords is going to be the last (for now).

So my first question is: what's your next book going to be about? And (impatient as always) when is it coming out?

Also, I repeat Vanmeterll's question: could we please get the complete "secret stories" on the Stravaganza site? They are lovely stories, but they just stop in the middle, which is frustrating. I can imagine how sultan Shahriaar felt 1001 nights in a row ...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hello Mary,

First, I must tell you how much I love the Stravaganza series. I actually didn't know about the series at first and discovered your books when I picked up The Falconer's Knot one day - or rather, my husband did, tired of me browsing through books and wanting me to choose one and get on with it :). So he showed me The Falconer's Knot and said: Doesn't this look like a book you'd enjoy? And it did, of course :) So then I looked for your other books and discoverd the Stravaganza series and gobbled them all up one after the other, and waited eagerly for the next one to be published. I'm sad that the City of Swords is going to be the last (for now).

Thank you! I'm so glad you've enjoyed them so much.

So my first question is: what's your next book going to be about? And (impatient as always) when is it coming out?

I'm not quite sure. I hope it will be a book about Shakespeare and the supernatural - evil faeries etc. - but I don't have a definite publication date.

Also, I repeat Vanmeterll's question: could we please get the complete "secret stories" on the Stravaganza site? They are lovely stories, but they just stop in the middle, which is frustrating. I can imagine how sultan Shahriaar felt 1001 nights in a row ...

I'm so sorry. I reported this problem as soon as Vanmeterli identified it and I'm cross that Bloomsbury haven't fixed it. I'll chase again.

Hi Mary, I just wanted to say that after having followed your Stravanganza books all the way through to the end (ever since I won City of Mask in a competition 7 years ago!) I have thoroughly enjoyed them, even long after I exceeded the age of their target market!
I was just wondering, would you ever consider maybe doing a short story just showing us what happened, say, 10 years after we last left everyone in City of Swords? The best thing about the stories was the excellent characters you created, especially the ones we've followed all the way from book one. Sometimes those sort of things can be a bit naff, but I've a feeling you'd do it well :)
Thanks again for an excellent series!

Hi Mary!
I just registered in and I hope I use this right! :)

I have a question for you about the excellent Stravaganzas... :D
How do you choose the names? Do you make some of them by yourself, or are they all real names?

And... I would so like to read more than the six Stravaganzas -they are so good! :D

Thank you,
Haidi

Hi Mary,
And I would also like to ask, that what aged people are the Stravaganzas meant to?

Haidi

Hi Mary, I just wanted to say that after having followed your Stravanganza books all the way through to the end (ever since I won City of Mask in a competition 7 years ago!) I have thoroughly enjoyed them, even long after I exceeded the age of their target market!
I was just wondering, would you ever consider maybe doing a short story just showing us what happened, say, 10 years after we last left everyone in City of Swords? The best thing about the stories was the excellent characters you created, especially the ones we've followed all the way from book one. Sometimes those sort of things can be a bit naff, but I've a feeling you'd do it well :)
Thanks again for an excellent series!

I'm so sorry I missed your question, Ben! I don't think I'll take that particular route since the "next" Stravaganzas, if they ever happen, involve another Timeshift. But I'm so glad you have enjoyed the books and the characters.

Hi Mary!
I just registered in and I hope I use this right! :)

I have a question for you about the excellent Stravaganzas... :D
How do you choose the names? Do you make some of them by yourself, or are they all real names?

And... I would so like to read more than the six Stravaganzas -they are so good! :D

Thank you,
Haidi

Thank you, Haidi! The names are all real and about choosing them I can only say, with most writers, that I choose what seems right for me to convey the characters.

Hi Mary!
Thank you for answering. ;)
I so like the books!

This is a great place!
Thanks! :)
Haidi