Questions for Mary Hoffman

Ah thanks a lot ^^
And no, their isn't any negative word to say about the rest. ;)
Nice that it will be discussed in the next book.
Success with finishing it, I look forward to read it! =D

Niki

Dear Mary, I hope you don't mind answering these. They're just things I thought of and wondered about.
If a stravagante from our world said something in Italian, would the Talian's understand?
And if a stravagante got wet, would they be wet when they wake up in their own world? I think they probably would be but I'm not sure.

Dear Mary, I hope you don't mind answering these. They're just things I thought of and wondered about.
If a stravagante from our world said something in Italian, would the Talian's understand?
And if a stravagante got wet, would they be wet when they wake up in their own world? I think they probably would be but I'm not sure.

These are very tricky and ingenious questions, DuchessaIbby!

To take the second one first, in the new book, City of Ships, Isabel DOES actually get wet several times but is dry on her return to her own world.

Your first question has yet to be put to the test. no Stravagante from our world so far has known any Italian but I shall ruminate on what would happen if they did. To be consistent with Doctor Dethridge, I think they would be understood but their accent wiould seem futuristic.

At least that's what I think so far!

Mary

Thanks! I really wondered about them. I thought of another couple which I hope you don't mind.I was looking at the Guide to Talia on the talisman page and it said the talisman for Volana was a flute.Would that be a flute a they are now or a recorder type instrument?Sorry to ask because you probably haven't thought about it but I thought it was quite interesting.Also, when your children(or is it child) were small, did you ever get inspiration from their imaginary games?I get a lot from mine and my brothers.

Oh, I forgot this. I think it's great that you take the time to come on here and answer all these questions! Thankyou so much!!!!!!!
:)

Thanks! I really wondered about them. I thought of another couple which I hope you don't mind.I was looking at the Guide to Talia on the talisman page and it said the talisman for Volana was a flute.Would that be a flute a they are now or a recorder type instrument?Sorry to ask because you probably haven't thought about it but I thought it was quite interesting.Also, when your children(or is it child) were small, did you ever get inspiration from their imaginary games?I get a lot from mine and my brothers.

Well, I don't know if the book featuring Volana will ever be written but it would be a 16th century Italian type flute.

And no, not exactly. My three daughters are all now very grown up and they were enchanting children with good imaginations but I do rely on my own imaginative play to create my novels.

Thanks a lot! They're just things i wondered about. I hope the book on Volana gets written. I love music!!! = )

Good evenig. Nearly a year from the last post... But I will try my luck, anyway. So, my question is: In the first Stravaganza book, City of Masks, when Lucien and his parents visited the real Venice, he bought a pencil in some luxury stationery near Piazetta. Does this shop really exist (or is it based on some real one)? Thank you for answer... (Anyway, great books - it is a shame that only City of Mask was published in my country. I read the remaining ones in English.)

Good evenig. Nearly a year from the last post... But I will try my luck, anyway. So, my question is: In the first Stravaganza book, City of Masks, when Lucien and his parents visited the real Venice, he bought a pencil in some luxury stationery near Piazetta. Does this shop really exist (or is it based on some real one)? Thank you for answer... (Anyway, great books - it is a shame that only City of Mask was published in my country. I read the remaining ones in English.)

Hy Travix! There are many such shops and stalls in Venice - and in Florence and Siena too! Which country are you from?

Glad you like the books so much.

All best

Mary

Thanks for answer.
I just wondered if it was based on some particular one. I actually found some similar shops there.
And I bought myself... a pen! :)

I'm from Czech Republic. (That's... Somewhere in the middle of the Europe. Have you ever been there?)

Last edited:
Thanks for answer.
I just wondered if it was based on some particular one. I actually found some similar shops there.
And I bought myself... a pen! :)

I'm from Czech Republic. (That's... Somewhere in the middle of the Europe. Have you ever been there?)

No, not a particular one. I use Il Papiro whenever I find a branch. The notebook/talisman came from Il Papiro in Siena.

I have never been to Czech Republic, I'm afraid. Like you, I was sorry they stopped after one book. But some other countries where that happened - like Spain - are starting over again. So you never know!

All best

Mary

I don't mind. As I said, I ordered the remaining books in English (and many other people too, I suppose).

Well, you should visit Prague :) (Nicknamed The City of a Hundred Spires. Really!) It is famous for its history. Although, as a Renaissance lover, you would probably be disappointed - not much Renaissance art there. (People were just too busy - religious wars, fights or royal houses, rebellions, mass executions... Not a good place for art.)

Last edited:
Hello, Mary

I've really enjoyed all your books so far, so I hope there's a chance of seeing more of the other city states in the Stravaganza series after the City of Swords. I'm also looking forward to David when it gets published in Canada.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've noticed on the Guide to Talia on the website that Sky is missing from the "Talismans" section. Is it because he decided to "retire" from being a stravagante at the end of City of Flowers?

I've really enjoyed all your books so far, so I hope there's a chance of seeing more of the other city states in the Stravaganza series after the City of Swords. I'm also looking forward to David when it gets published in Canada.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've noticed on the Guide to Talia on the website that Sky is missing from the "Talismans" section. Is it because he decided to "retire" from being a stravagante at the end of City of Flowers?

Well, I have put in a proposal for some more books - waiting to hear back.

There have been SO many mistakes on the website Guide to Talia. I thought we had corrected that one. Will chase.

Mary

Thank you for your reply, Mary. (I hope that they do fix that error. It was kind of puzzling...)

I've been re-reading City of Ships (because, like all good books, it deserves a re-read), and I've been wondering who exactly the Gate people are based on, in terms of historical analogue. They sound a bit like the Ottoman Empire (based on my lowly weak historical research powers, hindered by vagueness and uncertainty), which caused problems for Mediterrean marine powers like Venice and Genoa at the time. I think.

(Though, speaking of which, who exactly are the Gate people? They remind me a bit of Megan Whalen Turner's Mede Empire from her Queen's Thief series, but much more... vague. Almost like how Paul in All Quiet on the Western Front thinking about how the enemy is only an enemy so long as they are an abstraction.)

I've been re-reading City of Ships (because, like all good books, it deserves a re-read), and I've been wondering who exactly the Gate people are based on, in terms of historical analogue. They sound a bit like the Ottoman Empire (based on my lowly weak historical research powers, hindered by vagueness and uncertainty), which caused problems for Mediterranean marine powers like Venice and Genoa at the time. I think.

You are absolutely right, Feorin! They are based on the Ottomans. i di keeop them deliberately a bit vague because I wanted to concentrate on the Talians' reaction to them and the battle as it relates to power struggles within Talia.

Hi!

I have a little-dumb question about City of Ships:
There is a real song with "Bella Isabella" on the lyrics?

I'm so curious!

I was wondering if we would find out who Ludo's father is? Also, will there be a map of the cities from the last three books? And will we some more of Principessa Lucia di Chimici in the upcoming book (since we will be in her home city)?