Female characters really suck

No, Aviendha didn't get many pages, but her revelations we're very pivotal. They keep me wondering to this day. Before this, I never really wondered what would happen after Tarmon Gaidan. I think the results of the Last Battle were always overshadowed by the event itself. Now my interest is peeked for the aftermath.

Birgette is another cool female character that I don't often mention. She has always been more than just tolerable. She's an interesting character to read about. I'm glad Sanderson is keeping her that way.

Speaking of female characters - there's a good bit sadomasochism directed in particular toward the female characters. I used to think I was imagining it, with all the bare ass spankings and so-called "pillowfriends" among the Aes Sedai novices. Jordan goes into great detail describing his female characters and they all appear to be gorgeous, most with generous breasts and full lips - caricatures really. And when you can't pick just one hottie for your protagonist, just fix the story where he can bed all three and get away with it!

The also seem incapable of communicating without a plethora of sniffs and snorts and crossing arms under breasts. It really starts to unnerve me after a while.

I think the most annoying characters are the sea folks.
They are so overbearing and arrogant that I totally dislike them.

Am I the only one who feels that way?

I never thought of it but no, I agree with you 100%.

His women aren't strong, the magically powerful ones, (Sedai I think) instead of being wise and confident are manipulative, controlling and petty. Plus the abusive hazing as "training"? Just weird when you think about it. On the flip side, the invader women, while again holding positions of power are uber insecure control freaks too.

It's been quite a while since I've read any WoT books, but I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

Perhaps a topic for another thread would be books with strong female protagonists.

Yes, this is an issue. My guess is that RJ wanted to avoid "damsel in distress" characters, and so tried to make his females strong and independent. Sure, they are, but they also act sexist, bigoted, childish and downright obnoxious far too often without much reason, which, I feel, is even worse. :(
They aren't like this all the time though, which is good. When they decide to act reasonable, I find the plights of Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne to be quite enjoyable.

Jordan has done this on PURPOSE! (at least most of the time) Dustinzgirl hit the literary nail on the head. "Jordan wrote women from a classical male perspective." It is intentional, do you honestly think someone could write 14, 1000-page novel without realizing exactally what he was doing. If you don't enjoy it, that is fine. howerver you should at least be aware that it is a literary tool he using as opposed to a complete ignorance of woman.

"Jordan wrote women from a classical male perspective." It is intentional, do you honestly think someone could write 14, 1000-page novel without realizing exactally what he was doing. If you don't enjoy it, that is fine. howerver you should at least be aware that it is a literary tool he using as opposed to a complete ignorance of woman.

I thought DG wasn't referring to a literary tool, but in fact the typical manner by which male genre authors write women - badly.

We could have a whole thread about male white heteronormative writing. :)

I thought DG wasn't referring to a literary tool, but in fact the typical manner by which male genre authors write women - badly.

We could have a whole thread about male white heteronormative writing. :)

heteronormative: There's a ten-dollar word!;) Sounds like a fancy perfesser somewhere's with a whole lot o' ivy on the walls made it up!:D

Is it just me, or do Robert Jordan's female characters suck?
I love his series and have re read it at least three times. His male characters are all great. Still, I find myself getting irritated with his female characters. They all seem to have the same over generalized personality, which is-- "angry, man-bullying, bossy and sometimes incredibly stupid." One of my least favorite characters is Elayne. She seems like a complete idiot to me. I though at first she would grow out of it, but with every book I liked her less and less. And what’s up with all the Aes Sedai? They are supposed to be the most powerful women in the world but they seem to behave like gossiping old ladies, clawing at each other’s hair.
All his male characters are complex and very different in personality and temperament. All his female characters seem to have only one purpose in life—“to make men’s lives miserable.” I just find it very disappointing

Am I the only one who feels that way?

Nope, I never really did vibe with the characters of RJ. Some were ok, but overall they never hooked me. The Sidhe woman was kinda sexy and nice though.