Help?......Please?

I'll say it's a number of years since you read them if that is what you remember about them. Damsels in distress!! get real.

Yes it was a number of years ago since I read them ...

but that is how I perceived the stories.

I do not appreciate being emailed just to tell me that. :(

I first read David Gemmell a couple of years ago when I was given a gift of two (or was it 3?) omnibus versions of his Drenai tales. They started with Legend and went in order from there and thats the best place to start.
The other bonus with the omnibus versions is that theres a couple of pages before each story begins where Gemmell explains what his inspiration was for each story or where he got the idea for some of the characters etc. For example he explained that he wrote his first novel Legend after he was diagnosed and under going treatment for cancer. He claims the beseiged fortress in the book represented his body and the ensuing battle represented the battle between his bodies defences and the invading cancerous cells. Interesting stuff.
Over time I then read his Rigante series in order, starting with Sword in the Storm and most recently I've read White Wolf and its follow-up The Swords of Night and Day.
Overall I've enjoyed the books that I've read by him and found some of the characters very interesting.
If you're looking for a book to change your life then you won't find it in a Gemmell novel. However if like me, you just want to read an uncomplicated absorbing adventure that you can get lost in for a couple of hours, then Gemmell's your man.
When I go on holiday I always pack a couple of Gemmells novels to read by the pool. I know what I'm going to get and I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
Panamon Creel

If you're looking for a book to change your life then you won't find it in a Gemmell novel.

How can you say that:eek: if it wasn't for David Gemmell I would not be on this forum today for 2 reasons.

1. David Gemmell was the author who got hooked on fantasy with Ghost King a long, long time ago.

2. it was while I was seaching for things Gemmell on the internet that I found this forum and joined up.

If that is not life changing then I don't know what is:D

I read Legend first and it was so good, I bought all of the books he has written and read nothing else for a whole year. Just read and re-read them, love them all, but if I had to choose a favourite or two, it would be the Rigante series, followed by the Lion of Macedon and Dark Prince.

sanityassassin said:
Panamon Creel

If you're looking for a book to change your life then you won't find it in a Gemmell novel.

How can you say that:eek: if it wasn't for David Gemmell I would not be on this forum today for 2 reasons.

1. David Gemmell was the author who got hooked on fantasy with Ghost King a long, long time ago.

2. it was while I was seaching for things Gemmell on the internet that I found this forum and joined up.

If that is not life changing then I don't know what is:D

OOPS sorry about that. As it happens I really like Gemmells books but I was just trying to make the point that they wouldn't be everybodies cup of tea. :)

don't tell me I have been wanting troy since it came out and can't afford it at the moment I'm going to have to wait till it comes out in paperback and hope Asda has it on the cheap:(

sanityassassin said:
don't tell me I have been wanting troy since it came out and can't afford it at the moment I'm going to have to wait till it comes out in paperback and hope Asda has it on the cheap:(

Hi sanityassassin,

You've probably got it by now, but I waited for the paperback as well and got it from Amazon for £3.99 - couldn't believe it, but they are still selling it at that price, I checked. However, you've got p&p on top if you spend less than £15 (I bought a couple of Erikson books at the same time) so alternatively, Play.com are selling it at £5.49 including p&p.

I usually get the latest book out of the library when it comes out and then buy the p/b later. No having to wait before reading it then and it's free.

sanityassassin said:

Asda already has had it in. So has Tesco. You may have to look a bit more carefully in future. LOL:p