David Farland-Runelords

Aniri

Gir
Have you read Farland? I never have and would like to get some comparisons for his writing, if any? Is it a good series? How would you rate it?

Haven't read it but it's gotten very mixed reviews. The general feeling seems to be that the concept is solid gold but Dave Farland (real name: Dave Wolverton) is simply not good enough a writer to do it justice. The first book is often cited as being quite good but the sequels are increasingly poor in quality.

I read the first three or four a few years ago, and found them unremarkable. I'd say not they're not worth your time or money.

Gonna have to go against the grain here, I think Farland's books are great, not as deep and dark as some, just good stories told well. Dive in, the waters lovely.:)

I'm afraid I started reading Runelords some time ago and found it pretty mediocre stuff. I can't in all conscience recommend it to anyone.

I'd venture to say that if David Farland was guilty of anything it's having a bloody silly pen name, I mean Farland....Good grief!!:)

You have a point, Gollum, but Farland has always struck me as a really naff name, David Farland sounds like a character from a fantasy novel and a pretty desperate one at that...:)

I've read the first two. I quite enjoyed the first, but much less so the second. The ideas behind it are, as has been said, pretty good. However, book 2 dragged quite a bit and parts of it were a little unengaging.

Farland looks like he will forever be damned by faint praise, I think its a shame, but I'm well aware I'm the minority view...:)

I'm afraid I started reading Runelords some time ago and found it pretty mediocre stuff. I can't in all conscience recommend it to anyone.

Same here. Enjoyed the first 2-300 pages, but his concept of magic was just too much for me to believe.
-g-

I read all four. I liked one and two the best but three and four were good too. Number four should have been much longer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Obituaries 8
Pyan Obituaries 15
Pyan Terry Pratchett 12
elvet Obituaries 5
rune Book Discussion 18