Worst Science Fiction/Fantasy you have read.

Tried James Clemens and couldn't really get on with his writing style... this isn't to say his writing style was BAD per se just that it wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't think a great deal to Terry Brooks' Shannara books either- and I did REALLY try with those.

Jordan and Goodkind's series' both started well and then lost interest for me (although I am TRYING to finish Goodkind's- it's a darn sight easier!)

Last edited:
Patrick Rothfuss' In the Name of the Wind was a major letdown after all that hype. The lead guy (Kvoth?) came across as such a perfect, arrogant d-bag. How can someone be good at *everything*? Not only is that incredibly annoying, it does not make for a compelling story or sympathetic and relatable protagonist.

Fiona McIntoshs Trinity Trilogy was the WORST. SERIES. EVER. I hate this series with the fiery intensity of a million blazing suns. It makes me so mad seeing it so prominently displayed in all the libraries, dymocks, borders etc just because she's one of the more successful Australian authors. Ken and Barbie lead characters with all the charisma of a block of wood, 2D side characters that could blow over with a sneeze, evil moustache-twirling villains, "babies as fraternal twins that are the spitting image of the dark haired father and blonde mum", ridiculous plot points and so on. Not to mention the author doesn't seem to think a storyline is complete without horrific rape scenes sprinkled in because the Barbie and her daughter are just so beautiful men can't resist them.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it negative one billion.

Patrick Rothfuss' In the Name of the Wind was a major letdown after all that hype. The lead guy (Kvoth?) came across as such a perfect, arrogant d-bag. How can someone be good at *everything*? Not only is that incredibly annoying, it does not make for a compelling story or sympathetic and relatable protagonist.

Fiona McIntoshs Trinity Trilogy was the WORST. SERIES. EVER. I hate this series with the fiery intensity of a million blazing suns. It makes me so mad seeing it so prominently displayed in all the libraries, dymocks, borders etc just because she's one of the more successful Australian authors. Ken and Barbie lead characters with all the charisma of a block of wood, 2D side characters that could blow over with a sneeze, evil moustache-twirling villains, "babies as fraternal twins that are the spitting image of the dark haired father and blonde mum", ridiculous plot points and so on. Not to mention the author doesn't seem to think a storyline is complete without horrific rape scenes sprinkled in because the Barbie and her daughter are just so beautiful men can't resist them.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it negative one billion.

You remind me very fondly of the anti-Goodkind stuff i hear about. The content of those things is about the same.

Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt books are amazing vampire fiction. With his next mystery, Huston is going to rocket into super-stardom; just watch.

The Joe Pitt books are like the best of Raymond Chandler mixed with some of the most awesome genre stuff you'll ever read. Stunning in every sense of the word.

While not the traditional blood-sucking variety, the psychic vampires of Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort are also quite memorable. There are other vampire tales (or even series) worth considering. Sometimes traditional, sometimes not; but there are still writers who can do something worthwhile with the idea, such as Robert Aickman with "Pages from a Young Girl's Diary", certainly one of the more unsettling pieces on the subject....

Christopher Golden's Shadow Saga is very good too.

Christopher Golden

Originally posted by HH

Although it's technically not fantasy, I'd throw in 'Shelters of Stone', the fifth Jean Auel 'Earth's Children' book for the above reasons. I really liked the series up to that point, but this one was poorly done. Four hundred pages were spent on about three days in the story, and everything else flashed by at light speed. The same ground was gone over repeatedly, if anyone made a tea 'sweetened with linden flowers' once more, I was ready to scream!...Also, I'd had enough of how wonderful a lover the hero was by halfway through book three, and I know the heroine is basically mother earth incarnate, but can we get over it already, puh-lease?
I have to agree with you HH. Much as I enjoyed both book 1 & 2, they lost me after that. I read Mammoth Hunters but didn't really enjoy it, Plains of Passage was alright without being anything brilliant and Shelters of Stone was like a compilation of all previous books knocked together. Considering she has 12 years between book four and five to put something together, it was a poor effort on her part.
There is still supposed to be a book six, so maybe she can redeme herself on this one, but the chances don't bode well.

Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt books are amazing vampire fiction. With his next mystery, Huston is going to rocket into super-stardom; just watch.

The Joe Pitt books are like the best of Raymond Chandler mixed with some of the most awesome genre stuff you'll ever read. Stunning in every sense of the word.

Good to know its my next vampire,urban fantasy series to read.

I thought you would diss it since the thread is the worst SFF books. Worried there for a second ;)

I do like genre crossing of crime and urban fantasy like Jim Butcher series.

Huston's prose and style are second to none. It's not just a good genre read, it's a great work of fiction, with style, an economy of words, and a hard-hitting narrative with great characters.

His straight forward mystery and general fiction stuff is awesome as well.

The dude can just write, plain and simple.

Well, there IS Henry Kuttner's "Avengers Of Space" (reprinted in the anthology "Girls For the Slime God") Which many believe to be the origin story for the old science fiction cliches of BEM carrying off the half naked heroine to it's cave, and the hero in hot persuit from the finned rocketship carrying his trusty ray gun... And later in the same story, the hero is placed in an "arena of death" by the alien planet's evil overlord, a giant brain in a jar!

Easily, this novel is the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" of written SF.

Well, there IS Henry Kuttner's "Avengers Of Space" (reprinted in the anthology "Girls For the Slime God") Which many believe to be the origin story for the old science fiction cliches of BEM carrying off the half naked heroine to it's cave, and the hero in hot persuit from the finned rocketship carrying his trusty ray gun... And later in the same story, the hero is placed in an "arena of death" by the alien planet's evil overlord, a giant brain in a jar!

Easily, this novel is the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" of written SF.

Hmmm....sounds pretty cool to me.

Huston's prose and style are second to none. It's not just a good genre read, it's a great work of fiction, with style, an economy of words, and a hard-hitting narrative with great characters.

His straight forward mystery and general fiction stuff is awesome as well.

The dude can just write, plain and simple.

Have you read his regular Noir crime books ?

Im gonna start with Caught Stealing since thats the only library book of his in town. Then i will go for Joe Pitt books. For to dislike a Noir writer you have really suck.

Worst i've ever read is the trilogy of words that started with the bakers boy by J.V Jones- it is that kind of book that promises a glimmer of hope that keeps you reading and the fails to deliver anything of the sort and leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth !
IMO anyone who has said goodkind is the worst author of fantasy is crazy ! His series dipped after the temple of the winds but he still contributed some great fights and concept work. Zeddicus Zul Zorander is an awesome wizard ! :D

For me it has to be Salvatore's The Crystal Shard (Book One of the Icewind Dale trilogy). I don't mind novels being based on a system, but... the system was so in your face that it detracted from it potentially being something gripping and original (well, as original as it can be). It seemed very artificial and the only thing unique about it were the action sequences. I only finished that book out of sympathy and I daren't read the other two.

It so interesting to see the books that some people hate while others love the same book. I'll go with Stranger in a Strange Land also as the worst that comes to mind right now, but it got so much critical aclaim it's rediculious.

I have to disagree with you Archus on the Salvatore point, that said i was always going to be a fan of his work as i played d & d in the forgotten realms for many years. I suspect this makes me rather biased ! :)