Looking for help identifying a book

Darren Garrison

I found this forum while trying to find a forum-- a forum where I could hopefully find a certain book. I was hoping to remember the title and find if there are any sequels to it.

It was published in the middish 1990s. I don't remember the author. Set in this solar system, not too deep into the future. Humanity is in contact with multiple other alien species that have FTL travel but haven't shared that technology with us. Details are vague and possibly inaccurate. Alien species I remember include

one that has stationed itself on Mercury and collecting solar energy to send pulses into space searching for it's "mother", missing somewhere in space

one that consists of gigantic worms burrowing through solid rock on (I believe) Venus-- one subplot of the book concerned gaining control over one of those "worms"

A giant "composite" organism traveling through the galaxy as a "tourist" that was currently stationed on the moon-- it had to make occasional stops and sell rights to visit it's vast ecosystem to raise "funds" for further travel

A alien species that in some way was on the edge of allowing humainty to gain access to FTL technology.

Now the question is, how much does it cost on Amazon, shipping included ? My poor credit card...

Leto, don't do it, love... Get someone to buy it for you, for your birthday, or an anniversary, or some spontaneous need to give a gift... :D

Or just create a wish list on Amazon, and send it to all your closest friends and family - so they know how to keep you happy!!! ;)

Thanks for answering your own question, Darren, was Deepdrive by Alexander Jablokov any good???

The Master™ said:
Leto, don't do it, love... Get someone to buy it for you, for your birthday, or an anniversary, or some spontaneous need to give a gift... :D

Or just create a wish list on Amazon, and send it to all your closest friends and family - so they know how to keep you happy!!! ;)

Thanks for answering your own question, Darren, was Deepdrive by Alexander Jablokov any good???
Both anniversary and birthdays are months too far. But yes i get the idea. I'll book it in my english bookshop and my husband will take it (and pay for) with his Weber. Nice trick, thanks.

Leto said:
Now the question is, how much does it cost on Amazon, shipping included ? My poor credit card...
There are several copies on Amazon for one penny plus whatever they charge for shipping. Copies are available on Ebay for as low as $1.50 with $1.50 shipping.

Good. I'll have a look there then, if Master's trick don't work.

BTW, welcome here. ;)

The Master™ said:
I thought so, from what I can remember of it. The reader reviews at Amazon are pretty brutal, though. I seem to remember it having a Vernor Vinge/Fire Upon the Deep type feel with the groups of weird, unscrutable aliens-- not just the "guys with putty stuck on their nose" TV-like aliens.

Back