Dexter

Princess Ivy

Damsel in this dress
i was wondering if anyone has read this series. i'm hooked on the tv show and have ordered the first book - darkly dreaming dexter - from the library. would appreciate some info and feedback.

I love the show and i plan to read the series. I ordered earlier today the first book.

Cant wait to see how good the first book is since i heard the great first season of tv show was based on it.

My partner is very interested in these books. On looking through the reviews, the books are apparently a lot darker and more sadistic and graphic than the TV series (which we both absolutely love).

According to some of the reviews the TV series has toned the books down quite a lot and a lot of the fans of the books aren't too happy with the series as it doesn't stay true to the text but then what adaptation truly does?

xx

It doesnt matter how they have toned down the tv show is perfect in eyes atleast the first season for a tv series like that.

Books work totaly different when its about how graphic,sadistic it can be compared to a tv show and movie so its understandable what they did with the tv show.

Will be interesting to see how much different it is in the books.

That actually makes me look forward to books even more than if the tv show was exactly the same.

i LOVE dexter
anyone who reads the books let me know how much more nasty they get. i don't mind nasty (i mind sex nasty however) but i like to be warned.
i love dexter as a character. i kinda like seeing someone on tv who isn't nuts about sex. it makes a nice change and is kinda nice to me, as an asexual :)

My partner is very interested in these books. On looking through the reviews, the books are apparently a lot darker and more sadistic and graphic than the TV series (which we both absolutely love).

According to some of the reviews the TV series has toned the books down quite a lot and a lot of the fans of the books aren't too happy with the series as it doesn't stay true to the text but then what adaptation truly does?

xx
although violence is hinted at in the series, it's not really graphically depicted, so to say a lot more graphic could mean much. not sure about sadistic, dexter ion tv doesn't come accross as sadist. will have to see?
i agree that screen versions of books are often different, and in my opinion better. so i've high hopes for the books.

whoever gets it first (although i'm hoping for mine next week i've a big exam at the start of october and won't have any reading time for at least a month), let us know!!!!!

Bought Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter today as a pressie for my partner but as I was sitting in a hospital for the best part of two hours I started reading the former...

So far, it isn't that much darker than the series, a few differences and he's definitley "into" the Ice Truck Killer a lot more than is portrayed in the seires but at the moment, not so much with the darkness and more sadist nature...

It's very good though, I'm finding it very difficult to put down much to my partner's displeasure :D

xx

Sorry for the double post... I've now finished the book and it's actually quite different to the TV show in that the characters aren't who we think they are... the TV show plays their flaws down whereas in the book you get a real feel for people like Doakes and LaGuerta... Bastista isn't in the book as much as he is the TV series...

Saying that, both the book and the TV series are fantastic, I really enjoyed the book, was easy to read and hard to put down. I think it's safe to say that if you like the programme you'll like the book and vice versa.. well, in my opinion anyway

xx

i managed to get the first two also, i did enjoy them, but found the tv characterisation of dexter more accessible. in the books i found him a bit neyneyneyneyney ney, if that makes sense...which is odd, cause i usually prefer the books....
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
now i really can't wait to see the next series, as they've taken it quite far away from the ending of darkly dreaming...will be just like xmas for me:)

i prefer the tv show too. tho i have to say the second book really icked me out. the hangman thing was just very disturbing. but the tv is funnier, it's more enjoyable, i think it's better plotted too.
i didn't like how in book 1 and 2, a cop was suspicious of dezxter and then at the end of both books, that cop was gone. seemed a bit conveinant to me. still enjoyed them, will; read the third at some point, but tv was better

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
woodsman General TV Discussion 94
D H P Lovecraft 8
Randolph H P Lovecraft 13