Pandora's Star

D6Veteran

I just read Pandora's Star and am dying to chat about it. I'm a fairly slow reader but blew through those 750 pages this past week (lunch breaks, on the ferry to work and home, up in bed late).

Honestly I was not expecting 750 pages to end in a cliffhanger. I normally try to avoid reading a series until all the books are out since I hate waiting. Especially when there are so many characters to recall going forward.

So first of all, who's read this book and is now eagerly awaiting the sequel?

On my christmas list:) Loved the Night's dawn trilogy, even if it did destroy three and a half rainforests to print the trilogy. Is Pandora's Star as good?

Well caladanbrood I actually didn't like the Nigh's Dawn Trilogy. Soon after Al Capone showed up I couldn't keep reading. The whole zombie thing isn't my cup of tea. However I did like the tech and writing style and that is what brought me to read Fallen Dragon and then Pandora's Star.

Pandora's Star is grand space opera with dozens of sub plots and characters all converging on an epic event. The book is long at 750 pages, and Hamilton does get a bit wordy from time to time but the characters are diverse and interesting and the technology had me interested beyond the scope of the novel.

I don't want to spoil anything by saying too much more, but if you like space opera, Hamilton's style and alien encounters then I'd highly recommend this book.

My only advice would be to wait till the sequel comes out next year, since the story ends in a big cliffhanger.

Have you tried A second chance at Eden ? It's set in the same universe than the Night dawn trilogy but zombie-free (as it's set earlier in the chronology). And as it's a collection of short stories, it's not so wordy.

I was particulary interested in his affinity link concept and the several variation he develop in this collection.

No I haven't Leto. I'll definitely put that in my queue. The whole affinity link concept is very cool though -- it is the thing I recall liking most about the Reality Dysfunction.