Help Needed With Creating A Rabbit/Wallaby Type Animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bloated One

Dear All,

I have created a furry animal for a fantasy/sci fi novel I am writing about a time travelling fourteen year old boy called Tarquin Jenkins. I would appreciate your views and thoughts on developing the creature further.

I want it to be a fun creature, but I have it with a darkside - It first appears in my novel being rescued from a race of bad guys called Griddlebacks.They take them on their space ships as fresh meat because they multiply alarmingly (Tribles?). When frightened, they turn white and emit a sonic pulse that can kill. The Griddlebacks know this and keep a collar on them to negate the pulse.

--------​

A small oval hole opened in the side of the ship and steps opened to the floor. A small white furry creature—a mixture of a long eared rabbit and a wallaby—hopped down the steps and onto the barn floor, its large brown eyes blinked rapidly, and its furry nose twitched.

“Oh, isn’t it cute!” cried Rhia, looking at the bundle of quivering fur.

--------​

And...

With Paddy’s help Rhia caught the animal. It had a rough leather collar tight about its neck. Paddy used his screwdriver to prize off the collar and the animal wheezed out a sigh, its soulful, bush baby eyes looked longingly at Rhia. Smitten, she lifted it carefully in her arms and rocked it. It wasn’t long before it purred and rested happily, its oversized paws hanging loosely over her arm, and its tail coiled about her wrist.

“Look everyone, it’s turning pink!” Shouted Rhia, her face glowing.

“That’s because the Wopplefop is content,” said Georgia. “Roughly translates into white for worry, pink for contentment, and blue for mating.”

“What did you call it?” asked Rhia.

“It’s a Wopplefop, a type of…” lost to describe the animal Georgia shrugged her shoulders, “well, a Wopplefop?”

“Why was it on their ship?” asked Rhia looking anxious, and stroking its fine fur.

“Er…the Griddlebacks keep them as pets.” Georgia’s face belied her words, but Rhia was too busy cuddling the bright pink animal to notice.

“Can we keep it?” she pleaded.

“They don’t do anything except change colour and hang upside down.” Rhia was about to ask how they hung upside down, when her fingers touched the underside of a paw.

“Suction cups.” She lifted it to see rows of tiny suction cups, “that’s way cool!”

“I guess if you want it you can keep it,” said Georgia, puzzled by the attention Rhia was lavishing on the fur ball.

“ Great. I am going to call it Gorwydd after my Welsh rabbit at home,” she said, stroking a long floppy ear and nuzzling against a wet, enquiring nose.

TBO:D

I'm not quite sure what you're after here TBS but one thing does occur to me regarding it's 'dark side'.

There's a useful way of giving any animal another 'side' and that's with the use of teeth. Animals mostly keep their teeth concealed until they want to express some kind of emotion, maybe fear or antagonism and I think you could use this quite well with the Wopplefop.

Outwardly the animal can be just as you describe - furry and cuddly. But the barring of teeth can change its character completely. You can play around with both the size and colour.

One other thing, repetition of the word 'collar' needs to be tidied up.

Good luck.

I want it to be a fun creature, but I have it with a darkside - It first appears in my novel being rescued from a race of bad guys called Griddlebacks.They take them on their space ships as fresh meat because they multiply alarmingly (Tribles?). When frightened, they turn white and emit a sonic pulse that can kill. The Griddlebacks know this and keep a collar on them to negate the pulse.

Could I recommend you read 'Sabriel' by Garth Nix (If you havn't done so already). There is a character within this book called 'Mogget' it was once a dangerous entity that was pretty much pure evil, but was captured by a necromancer and placed into a bind. Now it is stuck in the form of a rather cute cat that is forced to help the main character (Sabriel). Coinsidently enough there is a collar around the cats neck, which if removed destroys the bind and allows the cat to return to its form, a white static ball of energy. However over the years it has become acustom to being a cat, acting like one, even making an effort to help and bond with its new owner, but it still has a dark and mischievous side.
Sounds a lot like your idea, so I hope that helps :)

Mosaix, Reala,

Very useful suggestions. Excellent idea with the teeth. They could even morph like a vampyre into needle sharp six inch fangs when roused! And, if I use morphing, I like the idea of a trapped animal just bursting/morphing to get out!

TBO

Dolphins, Bats & WunnyBabbits...

Um, don't bottle-nose dolphins (FX: Big Aaaah) have such intense ultrasound that they can stun small fish at close range ??

Fruit-bats have sonar for nesting in caves, communications etc...

So, your WunnyBabbit might use weak ultrasound for communication, navigation at night or in burrows, checking for juicy grubs inside logs, seed inside fruit etc etc...

They might turn up volume a bit to chivvy pests.

And they have the equivalent of an attack-alarm to deter persistent predators by shrieking so loud it really, really hurts...

Dark side is things may *break* if they resonate. Classic example is opera singer or violinist shattering delicate wine-glass. Common tech is ultrasonic bath, used for precise cleaning, also for accelerating heterogeneus reactions. Misused, it can do a lot of damage to fragile equipment, shake jewels from their settings, spring seals etc. TV example is 'sonic screwdriver'...

Think what could happen if you gave a pin-hammer to a troubled child...

Nothing to add (never really tried to create a creature before) but the name 'Wapplefop' is a bit odd. Especially since it is supposed to translate into three different colors/emotions. Maybe you could have perhaps three distinct sections like Bluepinkwhite (obviously other words). There's my two cents. Probably not worth even that but there ya go anyway!

I have to say though after reading all the little bits of your story I'm anxious to see it published so I can read the whole thing! Keep up the good work!

Dwndrgn,

Thanks, I hadn't really thought more on the name so that is a good point. Once I have the creatures character mapped I will look again at the name - thanks.

With your interest, I have advance sales of five now! Seriously, I am up to 76,000 words so it won't be too long before I conclude the novel and start a painstaking redraft. About another 12 months I reckon.

TBO

Nick,

Now wer'e cooking!

Love the idea of several different strengths of resonance e.g. burrowing, communication, feeding and destruction. They must have some sort of ritualistic mating or birth dance behanviour, that puzzles our heroes until a dozen large soulful eyes appear from a dark corner!

TBO

Status
Not open for further replies.