A Voyage to Arcturus

dormouse

oft mistaken for a witch
Probably won't be posting too much. as the user na
Has anyone read this rather unusual book? I found it in a library many years ago. It is strikingly original and interesting. Written by David Lyndsay or is it Lindsay? The latter I think. Always meant to get hold of a copy for the collection.

I found it as an Ebook for free somewhere (Project Gutenburg?) and read part of it but got sidetracked. I intend to get back to it at some point. What I remember of what I read unusual was a fair expression of the book.

Same here.

I got the FM version too, haven't got around to reading it. Oh, it's old enough to be at Proj. Gutenberg? Whoa.

This book can be found at Project Gutenberg, but there is an associated warning over copyright. (And given that the author died in 1945, I would think that it would still be in copyright in the EU and thus in the UK.) Goodness (what's that?) knows what the situation is elsewhere in the world.

Yes, I have read A Voyage to Arcturus and is it a rather unusual book. It has both Lindsay's faults and his strengths... brilliant ideas, meaty philosophical concepts, fascinating and haunting scenes... and, unfortunately, occasional patches of writing that pull one up short and simply make one stare that it ever made it past an editor. I mean, very clumsy writing. But only here and there, thank the Bonny Dew. It's a book well worth reading.

(And if you're ever able to come across a first edition of his Devil's Tor for a reasonable price... snatch it up! That one is ridiculously rare in its original printing... and it's very seldom seen print otherwise.....)