flawed

meggy

i love buffy i followed it from beginning to end
i love buffy its one of my all time favourite programmes but the more i watch it the more i notice really bad script flaws such as in season 2 episode school's hard spike states that angel is his sire but in season 7 episode lies my parents told me its drusilla who sires him such a simple thing so how did they get it so very wrong

when spike refers to Angel as his sire, it's in the cintext of he taught him everything he knows about life as a vampire, it was made clear long before season 7 that it was dru that sired Spike

when spike refers to Angel as his sire, it's in the cintext of he taught him everything he knows about life as a vampire, it was made clear long before season 7 that it was dru that sired Spike

The simple explanation is that Spike was originally intended to be there just for season 2. His backstory - that he was sired by Angel - wasn't that important but fitted in with the season quite well.

But when the character became so popular that they wanted to bring him back, they reworked his backstory with a lot more attention to detail.

There's no way to resolve the difference in terms of plot - there's no doubt that when it was first written they meant Angel to be Spike's sire - they (the writers) just changed their minds. But it wasn't a mistake per se, it changed because of the new demands of the character.

The Buffy universe developed over time, it didn't spring full-grown from Wheedon's mind. There was bound to be the odd discrepancy here and there.

If you do a little searching - I'm sure there are several discussions of this very topic in this forum...

Buffy fans are a chittering, argumentative and talkative bunch indeed. *g*