Torchwood crosses the ocean to hit States

Torchwood Crosses the Ocean

Torchwood premiered last night on BBC America and I finally got to see what was being talked about. Since BBC America is not a "premium" channel there appeared to be a fair amount of editing going on (language). I've purposely avoided reading too much about it on the hope that eventually one of the channels over here would show it. My question now is: Are people still watching a ways down the road or did it fail to live up to the promise of the premiere?

Re: Torchwood to hit States

I downloaded the first ep (bittorrent) a couple of weeks ago, and just watched the same on BBC America.
Seems pretty good. Some of our Brit friends on another board seemed to think the series was a mite uneven, but likeable overall.

Threads merged.

I'm interested in your views. I don't speak for all "Brits" but I initially thought it was 'absolutely pants'. I watched it to see if it got better, and also because we are starved of home-made scifi, and I felt a need to support it. As I watched it, I began perversely to like it for being so bad! There was the odd very good episode too, but I still hate the final episode. Read our comments in the episode threads for more details, and please feel free to add your own. And I don't speak for everyone, some people really, really liked it.

*puts hand up*

I was one of those that really liked it... I don't ask for a lot from my television programmes, all I ask is that I enjoy them and I enjoyed Torchwood immensley. Yes, sure, if you think about them too much they start to unravel pretty fast but it's a great show if you don't want to think about anything too hard and just enjoy the chase.

I am very much looking forward to the second season, I love Captain Jack and Iante (sp?)... Tosh is alright, Owen, well, he annoyed me but he's ok and Gwen annoys the hell out of me but I can see her purpose. I can't wait to see Martha Jones step in, will be interesting to see what happens there...

xx

We get it here in Canada, on the CBC network. And so far I've found it absolutely boring. I'm not watching it anymore.

Aha

I was one of the folk here in dear old Blighty who enjoyed it. I felt that the charicters were all totally unlikable which peversely IMO was the shows strength.

Instead of a bunch of top rated boffins we have the small underfunded ragtag buch who strangley were the best but were such total screw ups they were placed away in the bunker in wales where Torchwood1 could hapliy forget about them.

Then of course our best and brightest were eliminated by the New Cybermen in Doctor Who. So who ya gonna call? A mysterious soldier possibly american who will shag anything with a pulse, a pug nosed little plonker with a penchant for using alien pheremones to get laid, a rather cute welsh police officer, a mysterious butler type who gets the tea and hides a dark secret in the cellar, a quiet computer specalist who is in love with afore mentionerd pug nose plonker. Add a dash of undead ex co worker faries who most definatley do not wear boots (sorry Black Sabbath fans) weird goings on in the hills and the secret in the cellar and over all we had a delughtful first season IMO. Please remmber this is not Doctor Who, this is not a kiddies show. A very Brittish Sci-FIi series which showed us at both our worst and best!:D

Re: Torchwood Crosses the Ocean

Torchwood premiered last night on BBC America and I finally got to see what was being talked about. Since BBC America is not a "premium" channel there appeared to be a fair amount of editing going on (language).

Interesting. I just finished watching the first two episodes of Torchwood on BBC America (I just upgraded to digital cable yesterday and so can now get BBC America) tonight - apparently they are re-running the first series in preparation for the second series, which is to begin running early next year - and it didn't seem edited to me at all. Anyway, if they did edit, they left some language and a fairly lengthy lesbian kissing scene intact. I watched these episodes between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time.

Liked both episodes very much, by the way.

I guess that this is the best place for my first post here. I started out last night with the "Face of Boe" thread and have read my way through this entire forum now. What else is there to do on a Chicagoland Sunday with the weather at 0 degrees Farenheit?

So I feel like I know many of you already and have really enjoyed your posts. I have especially enjoyed the recaps by Dave and the hilarious critiques by Coolhand.

I've seen all of the "Torchwood" episodes since they started showing them on BBC America here in the States; last night I saw the second and third episodes from Season 2. But it's been a bit like time-traveling here, because BBC America has just started showing the "Dr. Who" David Tennant episodes with Martha Jones, so last night I was also treated to seeing "Gridlock," which sent me Googling 'The Face of Boe.' That is how I found you folks, along with many other websites dealing with Mr. Big Face (which has been one of my pet names for my husband for years. :D Synchronicity or what?)

As a compliment to all of you, this site was absolutely the most entertaining . . . :) So I finally realized that I needed to actually register here, rather than just lurk and suck up all of your knowledge and opinions.

I'm a continuity freak, so it's been hard for me to deal with knowing that Jack went traveling with the Doctor at the end of Season 1 Torchwood, but he's back already in Season 2 ~~~ but we haven't even seen him with the Doctor and Martha yet.

To make matters worse, our PBS channel showed the CE/Rose/DT/Rose episodes over and over again until I had them memorized, even as I was watching the first season of "Torchwood." So my timeline is pretty screwed-up.

Finally, my online name comes from the two towns in Illinois where John Barrowman spent his youth years. I thought that it was rather pretty as online names go, and a nice tribute to his years of growing up relatively nearby. In fact, when I am called for jury duty, I go to Joliet, Illinois.

It's much better than going into Chicago; the folks at the Will County courthouse are much friendlier. :cool:

Having been through the entire first season in fairly swift succession (thanks to my daughter's boxed-set), and just in time to start season two, I've been enjoying the show very much. I could do with a lot less sexual hijinks when they don't even particularly serve the plot, but aside from that I find the stories very interesting and the characters ... well, not all of them appealing, or even the likable ones appealing all of the time -- but I find them fascinating as a group.

What I don't understand is how many people say they don't like the show, but they seem to keep watching. Why do they torture themselves? When it comes to things I'm supposed to be doing for amusement, I feel no obligation to stick with it after it stops being fun, and I'm amazed when other people do.

As a matter of fact, I didn't like the first episode of season two. (I hated Captain John Hart, but I have a gloomy suspicion he'll be back.) If the next two episodes had been as bad, I don't think I would be willing to keep on watching in the vain hope that things would improve. Fortunately, I have liked the stories since, so I'm optimistic.

(I don't usually go for John Barrowman's poster boy style of good looks, but somehow I find him very easy on the eyes.)

As a matter of fact, I didn't like the first episode of season two. (I hated Captain John Hart, but I have a gloomy suspicion he'll be back.) If the next two episodes had been as bad, I don't think I would be willing to keep on watching in the vain hope that things would improve. Fortunately, I have liked the stories since, so I'm optimistic.

(I don't usually go for John Barrowman's poster boy style of good looks, but somehow I find him very easy on the eyes.)

Hi, Teresa! I'm happy to discover how similar our views are on Torchwood. I find it very entertaining and never expect it to be more than that. I actually (ssh!) like it better than Doctor Who where David Tennant's up himself antics are getting a bit boring and predictable. Can you imagine Patrick Troughton or even Christiopher Eccleston saying "very Doctor!"?

And I like the group dynamic - I suppose I just prefer buddy scenarios to Master and assistant ones. Interesting, that.

Mary

What I don't understand is how many people say they don't like the show, but they seem to keep watching. Why do they torture themselves? When it comes to things I'm supposed to be doing for amusement, I feel no obligation to stick with it after it stops being fun, and I'm amazed when other people do.

I suspect that Torchwood comes under the 'guilty pleasures' category and people don't like to admit that they like it. Or perhaps they just love to hate it.:D

Some of us hope to see good SF and/or F on the TV. In the case of Torchwood, things are looking up.

(Shame I can't say the same about Primeval, though.)

I wonder: if Torchwood had been made in the US would it have made it to a second series? I mean Firefly didn't and look how great that was!

. What else is there to do on a Chicagoland Sunday with the weather at 0 degrees Farenheit?

Dont give me oprtunities like that :D too many jokes!:p Captain Jack would have an fit.:p

Torchwood has been slagged off heartily but I see a lot of folk watching the second season.

As to if it was an american show, it would have been cancelled after three episodes, not enough car chases, gun fights, shoulder pads, semi ugly men squinting at the camera while defusing bombs with their teeth.

Ooops maybe a little cynical there:p