The narrator

Locksmith

I also mend shoes
Love the series, but I have a minor quibble. Is it just me who finds the narrator at the start and end of each episode to be a little bit excessive? It's like, in order to qualify for broadcast in the US, every show must have some easily soundbitable moral... I'm sure I'm missing some genre reference here, but I just tune it out. Anyone else, or am I alone on this one?

If it were just some random person talking randomly, it would have bugged me, but, because it's Mohinder Suresh speaking, I take it as his own personal musings in reaction to the events that he was in a way a part of but in some way also just a spectator to, like G'Kar's soliloquy about the universe seeming to pause and hold its breath while Sheridan was at Z'Ha'dum. What one of the characters in the story thinks or feels about the story's events, and the other larger related themes his/her train of thought wanders off to while (s)he tries to wrap his/her mind around big amazing things, is just as much a part of the story as the more external stuff. My only complaint with it is not preachiness or anything like that, but that having a couple of them per episode just means the dramatic tool gets a bit overused and some of them didn't really seem like that was the right time to have another one.

It's been bugging me, I have to admit - but not nearly as much as Mandy Patinkin's little quotes at the end of every Criminal Minds episode. I like the guy, but if I ever see him I'll give him such a slap...:p

Yes! I agree. I have often thought that they sound a bit preachy, until I think 'oh its Mohinder' but even then it tends to sound preachy for a bit then morph into some kind of uplifting and wise rousing speech. I wonder how contradictory they would sound if you had all from the entire series to read in one go. I'd like to see that!

like G'Kar's soliloquy about the universe seeming to pause and hold its breath while Sheridan was at Z'Ha'dum.

One of the most dramatically satisfying elements of B5 was that this kind of thing was allowed to happen - once. It fitted the story/episode and worked perfectly (my hair stood on end). It happened in the X-Files to dramatic effect.

Joss Whedon has a similar, if wittier, approach in his shows to trying out new ways to look at a story. The episode following the death of Buffy's mum is still, to my mind, one of the greatest pieces of television art ever made in the history of TV ever (I liked it). But then, many of the finest, most memorable Buffy episodes are unique in some experimental manner - though I could have done without the Musical episode :rolleyes:.

I think what bugs most people about the prologue every week in Heroes is it's pointless and unnecessary - unless the end of the whole series is Mohinder Suresh bundling up his manuscript and taking it to his publisher or something naff like that (It Was All A Dream variation No 6). I mean, who does he think he is - (get ready, this is one terrific joke) Rod Serling??? (all right, maybe not that terrific :eek: )

I stopped watching LOST an episode or two into season two, but didn't they do the same thing? Pseudo portentous ramblings of a cast member to make us all believe there was a point to all this? Or am I confusing it with Sex in the City - it's easily done, y'know.

In general, though, I find the voice over very much a "tell-don't-show" device to save budget. They rarely add to what you know or want to know (like in Scrubs, for instance) and only occasionally do they seem written by humans. How many of these gratuitous monologues come across as candidates for pseud's corner.

But Heroes is a short show. I suppose, if you can't show it, tell it.

I think I'm the only one here who actually likes it. :( I actually think it sets the tone quite well, as in the constant questions that are experienced by the characters (and the viewer.) Although I think the main reason I like it is because Mohinder has an awesome voice :)

I can't say it's made much impression on me one way or another. I can't remember anything that's been said in any of the narrations. I think they might come into their own when I'm watching the series for a second time and know what it's all about.

While I agree that Mohinda has an awesome voice, I wouldn't say his voiceover is necessary. His speeches seem too "deep", and IMO, themes and depth should be part of the story, not added in as a sideline. Why tell when you've already shown?

Got to admit I haven't had a problem with it. As a starter and end point, I think it works fine, but would probably become irritated with it if it were throughout every episode. :)

I think at worse I'm finding the narrative repetitive...

again, i'm not keen on being told what is going on, if i can't figure it out myself why am i watching it? also not keen on moralising, bit overkill usually.

that said, in hero's i don't mind it, it's sort of a nice way to round off an episode - so's i know when to go and put on the kettle...

I think I'm the only one here who actually likes it. :( I actually think it sets the tone quite well, as in the constant questions that are experienced by the characters (and the viewer.) Although I think the main reason I like it is because Mohinder has an awesome voice :)
I like it too. I'm with you and Brian. It sets a nice tone for the shows and ends just as nicely.

I'm with the people who like it - plus Modhinder's voice is probably the best to use.

Totally agree about the excessive quality of the narrator and the slightly heavy English accent - he is the most lacklustre character, so got to give him something to do I suppose..........

At first I didn't really like the narration, but it kind of grows on you. I actually think I like it now, and I think it just adds a little bit extra.