Richard Morgan

Connavar

What do you guys think about this author?

Anyone here like Takeshi Kovacs books?

I cant be the only liking his writing and his world and specially the blend of Cyberpunk and Noir :rolleyes:

Well, I'll join you in the Morgan love. I've read everything except Black Man and found every single book both entertaining and thought provokng. Altered Carbon still stands as my personal fave, though when I lent it to a mate he couldn't get past the torture sequence, which was a shame.

Anyone else here think Morgan rocks? Anyone? Anyone?

I've read Altered Carbon, and although it seemed very interesting at first, I was rather disgusted at the level of graphic violence and the morality of the protagonist. The book is quite ugly, even for being modern SF, and I just couldn't enjoy any of it. Everyone to their tastes, though.

Its Noir and the kind of the world there is in the book violence was to be expected. If you wanted some sweet cyberpunk book then its totaly the wrong series.

I had no problem with his morality considering his history as Envoy,marine,gang member. If anything i was surprised he cared about people like Louise,the Elliot family etc

I enjoyed The Quelist philosophy he quoted alot of the times. I hope in the second book i get to know more of his backround,his home planet etc

I enjoyed The Quelist philosophy he quoted alot of the times. I hope in the second book i get to know more of his backround,his home planet etc

Well, if it's Quellism and Kovach's background you want more of, then the third book, Woken Furies, is the one for you. Although it has to be said I think you get a more satisfying character arc if you read them in order, even though the books are more or less standalone.

Thadlerian said:
I've read Altered Carbon, and although it seemed very interesting at first, I was rather disgusted at the level of graphic violence and the morality of the protagonist.

Interesting to hear that Thadlerian.
I'd agree that there is some pretty ugly stuff in the books, but they are set in a universe where any physical damage can be repaired and even death can be reversed, so in some ways it makes sense for them to have a much more relaxed attitude to violence.
I'm curious as to why you disliked the protagonist so much. Whilst he's certainly a hard bitten anti-hero, I can't say I found him "evil" as such. He came across to me as the typical hard-boiled, burned out gumshoe from Noir Detective fiction.

Was it his actions or his attitude you found distasteful, or something else?

I have just bought Broken Angels so i will of course read them in order.

I heard Morgan says the third book is the last i hope not. The world and Takeshi Kovacs is way too interesting for only three books.

I heard Morgan says the third book is the last i hope not. The world and Takeshi Kovacs is way too interesting for only three books.

I think he's said that Woken Furies is the last Kovacs book for the moment, he's not ruling out writing more in the future, but I guess he feels doing too many Kovacs book they might start to feel a bit formulaic. Even by the third book some aspects are starting to feel a little bit familiar, so maybe it is better for him to have a bit more variety.

I did like the three Kovacs books a lot, Market Forces was OK but not as brilliant. I've got Black Man as well, will probably read it next.

I read earlier today an interview where he said that he might write more books in the future.

I think he thinks way too little of his world and TK and he is way too early to say its time to stop before it gets forumlaic.

I can understand after 6+ books but not only three.

The good thing is that he said he has more to tell about that world that he wanna tell later.

I would hate though if he wrote a book about the same world but starring Trepp or some other character as he said he might in the interview .

I think Takeshi is like 70% of the strenght of the books. His view of the world around him makes the books special.

Might sound like a fanboy but i fell hard for TK and his world. Im a big fan of SF and Noir and this great version of both in the series is like a dream come true. I have wanted to read more SF Noir ever since i read a certain short novel about a guy called Dekkard ;)

Last edited:
Just got Black Man ("Thirteen" in the US) for my birthday, and really looking forward to it. The Kovacs books are awesome, and I really liked Market Forces too. This one is supposed to be his best yet though :D

Which is suppose to be the best? Black Man?

Most fans i have seen says its not as good Kovacs books. Which is understandable, i read only Altered Corbon so far and i have trouble seeing a nun Kovacs being better.

I was checking out his website today saw he was a big fan of Noir comics and games i love. Max Payne is like my fav action game of all time. He liked Sin City,Dark Knight Returns,100 Bullets alot too. They are some of my fav comics too. Frank Miller is a big comic hero of mine.

Wonder how his fantasy book will turn out to be. Any news about it yet?

If he isnt as good as usuall on his fantasy work, he should go back to SF Noir.

Black Man got rave reviews when it came out earlier this year. Haven't actually started it yet so I don't know how accurate they are, but it certainly sounds promising.

Black Man is much better than Altered Carbon, itself an excellent work. Others' views may differ ;)

Well that depends on if you liked Altered Carbon or not ;)

I will have no hurry reading Black Man though. I hate waiting years for a writer.

Morgan's next book is due in mid-2008. It's an epic fantasy noir called A Land Fit For Heroes and is the first of two books, possibly three, set in the same world. After that he's thinking about a sequel to Black Man.

Pretty cool name for the fantasy. You know anywhere you can find news about that book? I have been wondering about it. If its coming out in less than a year there should be some news about it.

Nothing new there i have checked his site alot the last week or so reading old blogs from him.

RM: the distances!!! ****! In Black Man/Thirteen you could get from any major city on the planet to any other in forty five minutes. Now suddenly I'm needing days at a time to get anywhere at all, and crossing the known world could take months! I'm still reeling from the plot implications of it all.

Hehe i thought that was funny and thought "duh" welcome to fantasy :p

Excellent. I'm looking forward to Richard Morgans take on fantasy :)