Martin's Livejournal

Zee

Anyone follow Martin's ramblings on his live journal page? He's started deleting posts and banning people who criticize him for not getting Dance with Dragons out fast enough. So much for free speech! I guess George is sick of people asking when the next book is coming out. :D

I think it must be irritating to feel the whole pressure about the publishing, but it's kinda natural too... The fans are just humans, with poor
postponement of gratification (geez.. what an expression, never heard that one before, go babylon!)
I'm not the most patient person in the world, but at this case I prefer to wait as long as needed (even if it will take -seven save us- years), 'cos much more important is that GRRM will not lose the rare quality of his creations.

I think it must be irritating to feel the whole pressure about the publishing, but it's kinda natural too... The fans are just humans, with poor
postponement of gratification (geez.. what an expression, never heard that one before, go babylon!)
I'm not the most patient person in the world, but at this case I prefer to wait as long as needed (even if it will take -seven save us- years), 'cos much more important is that GRRM will not lose the rare quality of his creations.

I'm just worried how his writing style will change over the course of the long years. The story itself hasn't progressed 10 years since the start of book 1 yet it's now 11 years since that first book came out. How do you keep the writing consistent, the character traits consistent etc. I assume this series won't be finished until well beyond 2010 so that's over 14 years at the least from start to finish while the story itself is only spanning a few years. Get my drift?

I'm just worried how his writing style will change over the course of the long years. The story itself hasn't progressed 10 years since the start of book 1 yet it's now 11 years since that first book came out. How do you keep the writing consistent, the character traits consistent etc. I assume this series won't be finished until well beyond 2010 so that's over 14 years at the least from start to finish while the story itself is only spanning a few years. Get my drift?
Well, I see your point, but most of the great and high quality long novels took more than ten years to write: War and Peace, Ulysses, Lord Of The Rings, etc. So I guess if you want quality you have to be patient :)

Actually, when he started writting, it was supposed to be a trilogy and it 'snowballed' from there. I think GRRM knows what he's doing and where's he's going. There are afterall, only 3 more books to go.

So much for free speech!

Since when are we guaranteed free speech on someone else's communication media anyway? ;)

More to the point, why do many people feel as if Martin (or any writer) has a responsibility to produce books on a specific time line? What gives those people the right to be angry and take that anger out on the author when a book takes longer to write than they (the readers) feel it should?

I understand looking forward to a release or even being disappointed when a release date gets pushed back, but this anger that causes people to turn on the person whose talent they apparently admire and love (why else would they care so much when the book is published?), I do not understand at all.

So yeah, like TK-421 said, good for him and good riddance. Maybe with fewer complainers on the site to distract him he can write faster. :eek::D

Another question and answer on GRRM's blogging. So, he doesn't have time to visit us...sniff...

More and more, authors/editors/publicists/agents are discovering the potential of all the SFF blogs/websites/message boards on the internet. Do you keep an eye on what is being discussed out there, especially if it concerns you? Or is this too much of a distraction?

GRRM: I have a live journal, my Not-A-Blog, and keep it up as time permits. It's fun, aside from the trolls. I am a veteran of GEnie as well, and during GEnie's heydey back in the 80s and 90s, I would often find myself signing on and posting several times a day, and getting drawn into all sorts of discussions (good) and flamewars (not so good). Much as I enjoyed that, it was a huge timesink, so much so that when GEnie folded I made a conscious decision to stay out of similar bulletin boards in the future. I avoid the Ice & Fire boards for some of the same reasons. I do read the reviews of my stuff that appear in newspapers and fanzines and even e-zines and some of the better blogs (like your own, and Stego's), but I don't read the Amazon reviews and I avoid message boards. It is not that I disdain these venues or those who participate in them. I just don't have the time.

Again, see the whole interview: Pat's Fantasy Hotlist

I just noticed another guy commented on Martin's latest livejournal entry about the series taking too long. I smell a banning coming!