Serenity Sequel May Rest With Upcoming Special Edition

Whitestar

Hey there fellow Browncoats! :) It appears that there is still a chance, although slim chance that there might be a sequel to Serenity. Although if it does happen, I imagine it might more likely be a direct-to-DVD sequel.
Here is a direct quote from the interview with Joss:

So after all is said and done, was Serenity profitable? Do you consider it a success?

Joss Whedon: It's a success to the studio or else we wouldn't be doing a special edition DVD. They actually admitted as much on paper, which you know studios are loathe to do, and that was actually from the theatrical. Theatrical was a disappointment, as everyone knows, but it did go into the black. Then the DVD came and they took me aside and said "We can't keep these things on the shelf. We want to do a special edition." And I didn't want to hear that because I knew it would have to be a truly special edition to make me happy. There had to be a real reason, some real goodies.

So give me hope for a Serenity II

Joss Whedon: Hope for it probably rests with this DVD.

Well I'll buy one.

Joss Whedon: Actually I will too, people ask me why I would buy my own DVD and I tell them do you have any idea how awesome it is to buy your own movie?

So then you're saying we've got a chance?

Joss Whedon: Well it's probably not being discussed in boardrooms right now, but the fact of the matter is if it makes enough money sooner or later they say "hey, this is money!" Also there are paradigms that are much cheaper, it doesn't have to be enormous. But on the other hand I'm happy to say all of my actors are working very hard. It's not the same situation where we all threw in for pennies because we had to finish telling that story. Now that situation might be harder to bring about.

And here is the link:

COMIC CON: Exclusive Interview with Joss Whedon - RopeofSilicon.com Comic Con 2007

But wait, there's more!

Taken from fireflyfans.net:

Universal HD Channel Schedules Firefly and opens Firefly Fan Boards
Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 11:20 AM PDT
Contributed by: Cordrone
Views: 0
Serenity NewsFirefly hits the television airwaves once again, this time on the Universal HD Channel.

Starting in July the Universal HD Channel is going to start airing Firefly again on Saturday nights but that's not all. They have also created a Firefly fan forum for Browncoats to "misbehave" in.

Universal Admins are asking opinions, responding to users, posting Firefly photo galleries, and otherwise supporting these forums in what appears to be an attempt by the studio to gage the viability of possibly funding another Firefly or Serenity project.

Serenity is worth fighting for. Support Firefly and Serenity on the Universal HD Firefly Boards! Join, Post, and be Shiny!

UniversalHD Boards -> Firefly

http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&...32&newsid=0

May this be what we have all been waiting for. Shiny! :D

Last edited:
Let's hope. I normally steer clear of Special Editions because they're generally just an exercise in milking the fans, but this is one I'll buy.

Well it's for a good cause so I'm going to have to get a copy!

And I think I'll have to check out the board as well. It may be that Joss himself is being led on but that's just the cynic in me. However, if there's a chance that they really will be prepared to consider a sequel if enough interest is shown, then we've got to go for it.

Jeez,

Marketing BS.

Dangle the potential carrot in front of fans to bolster sales of a special edition.

Shameless.

Me! I care. If I thought buying a copy of the special eddition improved the chances of a Serenity 2, I would buy as many as I could afford. In reality though I shall probably just buy the one and hope for the best!!!

Given his past history, Joss wouldn't say there's a chance of Serenity 2 if there wasn't, and he's been around long enough to know the score.

Me! I care. If I thought buying a copy of the special eddition improved the chances of a Serenity 2, I would buy as many as I could afford. In reality though I shall probably just buy the one and hope for the best!!!

I meant who cares it might be a scam if there is a chance it might be true.

At worst you get stuck with your fav SF series dvds... *Woe me*:rolleyes:

I meant who cares it might be a scam if there is a chance it might be true.

At worst you get stuck with your fav SF series dvds... *Woe me*:rolleyes:

I'll probably buy a copy.

I just hate the toying with fans hope.

I was crushed when Firefly was cancelled, ecstatic when Serenity came out and crushed again when it's box office was low and no chance of sequel.

Now they are dangling hope in front of fans again, but no promises.

I see Summer Glau (River Tam) is a lead in Warner's new 'Sarah Connor Chronicles' (the good Terminator).
Wander if that improves the chances or not of more Firefly / Serenity? (I think she's also in the 4400).

FYI. Not that I'm holding out much hope but there is a site dedicated to a Serenity Sequel called bigdamnsequel.com. Could be a gathering place for a concerted effort of fans.

Shiny! I was planning on picking it up on HD too. It's hard to imagine where the story would go from where it left off. Maybe they would explore the "two by two hands of blue".

I'd love to see more Firefly, but after Serenity I'm afraid it simply won't have the same magic any more. It's tragic, as I consider the Firefly series to be the best thing to happen to Sci-fi in about a decade.

Fox, you fools! :mad:

Serenity, as far as I'm concerned, put the final nail into the Firefly coffin.

With some of my favourite characters dead and some wonderfully crafted relationship tensions trashed, any sequel will - in my opinion - be a pale shadow of the original wonderful series.

Having said that, I shall support any prequels or sequels they decide to do, and if that means buying the special edition, I shall buy it.

Very shiny

My top up tv download thingie has the sci fi channel (happy happy happy). It basically downloads 1 programme from the sci fi channel on really late at night (I have zero say in the programme) and at the minute it's firefly!

I'd love to see more Firefly, but after Serenity I'm afraid it simply won't have the same magic any more. It's tragic, as I consider the Firefly series to be the best thing to happen to Sci-fi in about a decade.

Fox, you fools! :mad:

Serenity, as far as I'm concerned, put the final nail into the Firefly coffin.

With some of my favourite characters dead and some wonderfully crafted relationship tensions trashed, any sequel will - in my opinion - be a pale shadow of the original wonderful series.

Having said that, I shall support any prequels or sequels they decide to do, and if that means buying the special edition, I shall buy it.

I completely agree - I don't think you could have anymore after Serenity. It would be weak. Like you say its a shame because it was the best sci-fi for ages! I just hope they don't ruin it now ...

I really hope they do make a sequel, although the series really won't be the same without Wash. Poor Wash.

But all the other characters are very strong too, so you never know! *crosses fingers*