What to watch?

jeff.s.p

Hello, New to the forums.

A friend of mine had mentioned the movie Serenity.. Never seen it, but I've heard it was quite decent. He said I should watch the series Firefly first. I also mentioned I had never heard of the show... Perhaps due to the fact I hadn't access to the Sci-Fi channel until recently

So, I thought I would familiarize myself with Firefly and rent some DVD's.. Which DVD's (episodes) should I watch to give a good overview of the show & Characters?... without spending countless hours watching the entire series.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Jeff

Not difficult, actually. Firefly was (sadly) cancelled before even the first series had finished.:( There are 14 episodes in all, all available on a single DVD.

Start with the pilot which was shown out of order in the US but is in the correct order on the DVD (eps 1 & 2). It introduces all the characters properly.

All of them. There are only 14 or is it 15 episodes. They all seem to take about ten minutes, they are so absorbing. Plus there is really no point in watching Serenity unless you have first seen Firefly, all of it, not just selected bits, you don't get the full story.
Its a bit like reading a book, you cant read the start and the conclusion and then hope to know whats gone on in order to get you to that conclusion.....

Yeah, you should definitely watch all of them. It'll be worth it! And 14 episodes isn't a lot anyway...

Yeah, I'll most likely watch them all.

Wondering if I should view them In Order of Release Date, or Intended Viewing Order?

Hi Jeff
Glad you have decided to view all episodes, it is well worth it.
The order I have on my DVD set and which I believe is the correct order is as follows
Serenity (The Pilot episode, which is a double episode)
The Train Job
Bushwacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Message
heart of Gold
Objects in Space.
Once you have seen Firefly you will be hanging out to watch Serenity.
Enjoy.....

The best part about Firefly is that after you get done with 14 episodes of very, very underappreciated television, you get to watch Serenity!

Serenity is such a great movie.

Also, I second the motion on watching House. It is one of the smartest, best dramas on TV.

House and Lost are the only reason I give a crap about having a satellite provider. Oddly enough both of those would be free if my area had better reception to the broadcasts.

I can't agree there is no point in watching Serenity without watching the series...you can still enjoy it, you just wouldn't get all the references. It is just far more enjoyable. But I HUGELY recommend watching the series, watch it, buy it...you won't regret it. This is just another example of the idiocy of TV excecs.! this show was (and still is) a gem.