Martin reading newbie here

Zee

I'm new here so I'll try not to step on any toes. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying Song of Ice and Fire series so far. I've just today finished reading A Storm of Swords so I'm 1 book away from being up to date. I know I'll be in for the "long wait" for Dance, but what can you do? I've read elsewhere that Erikson's Malazan series is worth reading, and he's up to 7 books already so I may try that series while I wait for Martin to continue this fantastic voyage we're all on.

A bit about me, I'm from Canada, used to enjoy reading mostly sci-fi but have gotten into fantasy now thanks to Martin. I'm 38, married with a daughter and a second child on the way this year.

Greetings and best wishes to all.

l'll second that greeting and give a little beware. All is not calm in the wait for George's new book. Read, read, read, for this site is all about wondering and if your not careful the veterans will come and sincerely disrespect you.

Welcome, though, I'm a newbie myself. 24, from Montana, and all about the Obster, and like Sam when first arriving at the wall, ready to piss my pants whenever anyone comes at me with a sharper theory. Just remember all is dust in the wind until George comes with the true account of what happens. The rest of us (in my opinion) are just opinionated procrastinators with nothing better to do but wait.

I know I'll be in for the "long wait" for Dance, but what can you do?
You can join this therapy group of ASOIAFaholics for starters, which you have done. The next step is to start posting questions about anything and everything so that we can correct you on certain things and so that we can repeat all of our favorite hypothesis and theories. The third step is to re-read ASOIAF with the new theories in mind. After you finish that, then come back and post some more. The final step will be when you post the following...

Hello. My name is Zee and I'm an ASOIAF postaholic. It's been seven minutes since my last post. I'm weak...

This is the best way to deal with the wait for ADWD. Take it from me... I know what I'm talking about.

Welcome, though, I'm a newbie myself. 24, from Montana, and all about the Obster, and like Sam when first arriving at the wall, ready to piss my pants whenever anyone comes at me with a sharper theory.

Hehe. My theory is Sam the Slayer will reign as the true king in Westeros when all is said and done. ;)

You know nothing, Zee. Hodor will be king. It is known.

HI Zee! I'm a newbie too! Though already at war with Aegon the Unworthy and Young Stormlord :D (I hope more like a tourney..:))
I'm glad there is more and more ASOIAF fans! I think Martin's books are underestimated (compare to others bestsellers like Harry Potter that way to overestimated).
Enjoy "A feast For Crows"! (I know you will)
And it is SO known that Tysha is the queen!!! If Tyrion in some twisted theory is a Targaryen then she has his heir!!! The only problem who is his father.. is it Tyrion or one of dozen Tywins guards? hmm... It is not known... :)

Not a war love....a low intensity skirmish at best. Was it a war when Germany rolled over France? Not really. Even better, yer more like Hannibal crossing the Alps with your Elephants of logical argument only to watch them wither and die for lack of fodder and water....Rome didnt even have to field their army that day....

Welcome Zee....please feel free to post some slightly ridiculous theory. If you support it we'll only discuss it....remember we only seem to be laughing at you....its not our fault yer not laughing.

If Tyrion in some twisted theory is a Targaryen then she has his heir!!!
Good.... Tyrion the Kingmaker... I like it. I'm gonna toss this in the three headed thread.

Yes , most likely disappeared into a bubbly pot-o-brown! Mmmmmmmm

Wow, getting to be more and more Canucks on these boards( or maybe we are just more willing to divulge that now? ), maybe we will be able to have a all Cdn get together somewhere?

That would be great if we didn't live in the 2nd largest country in the world...

How about we start by finding out where the Canucks are from, eh?

Well , I know your in Ottawa( ack, gag )..I'm in Cambridge, on
Maybe this is called a "hijack"? lol

Where's the rest?

*Sigh*

I finished A Feast For Crows. Now I wait with everyone else for the Dance. I need to gather my thoughts before commenting on this last book.

Gather up, Zee. I eagerly await your observations.

Gather up, Zee. I eagerly await your observations.

Heh. I don't know if I'll bring anything new or refreshing in my perspective. I certainly don't have any "theories" to expose about what might happen, I just have general comments on the characters and their development so far.

Cersei: never have I despised a character as much as she. At one point I almost felt sorry for her when she went on about how Robert was abusive to her, but when you see what she does to all those around her, you can't help but pray for her downfall. Does she have ANY redeeming qualities whatsoever? I don't think so.

Jamie: rehabilitated and moving over to the "good guy" side. His development as a character has been a pleasure to read so far. I looked forward to all of Jamie's POV chapters, and since I'm getting so attached to the character I can only guess that Martin will kill him off soon enough, as he seems to do quite often. I love how Jamie uses his golden hand to slap people upside the head when he's upset now. Ser Ronnet felt the "golden hand of justice" when he insulted Brienne, had me laughing and cheering.

Catelyn: something has always bothered me about this character from the first book and onward. She's very self centered and feels that anything she does is just as long as it's for her or her children. I still remember from the first book after Bran was in the coma how she said to Jon "it should have been you". I know she was grieving and upset at seeing her husband's ******* son around, but it was not Jon's fault that he exists. Then of course at the Red Wedding what does she do when Robb is slain? She kills a totally innocent bystander because well, she had to kill someone right? I understand madness overtook her but I can't forgive that. I was happy to see her dead, although now she's back in un-dead form judging others again, and I hate it.

Sansa: I never really was that interested in the Sansa character until recently. I love the way Martin is handling the fact she's trying to maintain a new personality with Alayne. I've heard of abused children who are abducted and eventually follow their abductors and "forget" their origins and actually believe they belong to the abductor, I see Sansa potentially falling into that with Littlefinger. It will be very interesting to see where this storyline goes.

Greyjoys: Theon better hope he's already dead because I can't see him causing any sort of problems for either of his uncles should he return in a following book. The Crow's Eye and Victarion would make short work of that pansy. He sort of reminds me of the Viserys of house Greyjoy, he thinks he's more important than he really is. Other than that I don't know what to think of the whole Iron Throne plotline.

Brienne: I really like her as a character. Loyal, dedicated and stubborn in her cause to a fault. I really hope she survives the undead Catelyn encounter but it doesn't look good. Did I mention I hate the undead Catelyn?

Arya: Oh the sweet and innocent Arya who kills people in their sleep. Is her sudden blindness a punishment for her actions or some sort of training she must endure in her new environment? Perhaps a bit of both, only Martin knows.

There seem to be an abundance of plot lines and characters so I just don't know how everything will fit together in the end. On the Stark side we still have Bran, Rickon, Sansa, Arya and Jon - how will all their stories weave into the conclusion of the battle for Westeros?

Daenerys is the rightful queen, has the dragons and now the army, how will she interact with the other houses once she gets closer?

Lannisters, what the hell is going to happen to them now that Cersei seems to have screwed them over royally so to speak? What's Tyrion supposed to do now that mercenarys are out looking for his head? He's not too difficult a person to spot.

I can't type anymore, there's just too many different characters and plot lines to try and make sense of everything right now. All in all, it's a fantastic series so far and I find myself thinking about during the day whenever I have some free time.

Dance with Dragons, please be published soon...