The War of The Worlds: Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilnerfherder

This is just a saga now
Greetings all.
I have just joined this forum and I'd like to offer a small section of my first novel (named as in the thread title) for critique.
This work is an actual period sequel to H.G Wells' original classic that takes place a few months after the Martian invasion has been foiled. Because of this, I have attempted to capture the dialogue style and feel of the time, but still make it accessible for the readers of today (not everyone likes old novels!).
Please feel free to offer comments!

1. The Approach

Perhaps a month had passed since the great disillusionment. I trust my esteemed reader will perhaps forgive me using one of Wells’ phrases, but I always found it most apt.
Plumes of smoke still rolled lazily over some parts of London and the South East. Great metal machines stood silent and unmoving here and there, glittering in the sun, like huge chess pieces carelessly dropped by the gods. Weeds, of a green and entirely earthly nature, already grew around the parts that touched the ground.
In the capital, bridges engineered by some of Man’s most brilliant minds lay broken, their once proud arches snapped and torn as if kicked by some petulant child. The top of the Clock Tower had been sliced off cleanly, as though by a surgeon’s knife, by a Heat-ray and stood, oddly intact and upright, a short way away as if the tower itself had sunk into the ground. Clumps of brown sludge still floated serenely down the river along with other debris. From time to time, the authorities, grim faced in police launches, still fished limp and doll-like bodies from the murky water of the Thames.
My house in Surrey, unlike so many others, had escaped most of the destruction, barring a few displaced roof tiles and a smashed garden wall, and was quite habitable.
The noise and bustle of humanity was at full pace as I sat staring from the window of my study. Across the road I saw men swarming over houses, rebuilding. People rushed to and fro with carts containing building materials and furniture. A mangy, flea-bitten dog scurried nervously past. The so recently dead and black wreathed streets were alive with activity as man once again stamped his mark on the landscape that had seemed so surely lost. I imagined this was happening everywhere. The newspapers were often found calling the public to arms in the fight against decay and disease and despite the heavy death toll of the War, thousands had returned from their flight and were, sometimes unwillingly, being tasked with the rebuilding of the damaged areas. Children chased each other amongst the ruined houses and clambered over the fallen Martian machines like the monkeys in the jungle play amongst the trees.

The door to my study opened to reveal my wife’s sweet face, disturbing my reverie.
‘John? There are some men here to see you.’
‘Who are they, my dear?’ I asked, puzzled
‘Well, that’s the odd thing. They say they represent the Government.’
‘Very well,’ I said. ‘I will be in presently.’

Opening the sitting room door, I saw two men, to whom my wife was handing cups of tea. As usual when we had visitors, she had taken out the best china and the gleaming silver service and was offering sugar from a small bowl when I entered. A warm fire burned in the grate and the Grandfather clock ticked solidly in the corner.
My first visitor was an important looking fellow of around sixty years. A great handlebar moustache was draped over his lip and chops like a snowy white banner. His portly frame barely fit into the chair he was perched on and his small watery eyes regarded me as I entered.
‘Ah! Here’s our man,’ he said in a gruff, but friendly, voice.
The other man looked up from stirring his tea. He was around thirty with dark wavy hair and a goatee. He was slight in frame and dressed impeccably in black.
‘Indeed,’ he said quietly. His eyes showed no emotion at all.
‘Sir,’ said the portly man, standing with some difficulty. ‘Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sir George Cavendish and my assistant is James Horton. We are representatives of His Majesty’s Government.’
The younger man nodded slightly, his blank eyes never leaving mine.
‘Pleased to meet you, gentlemen. May I ask, to what do I owe this honour?’ I found a chair and my wife handed me some tea, gave me a small nervous smile and then quietly left the room.
The portly man sat on the chair again and was answered with a small wooden creak of protest.
‘Yes, of course. Well, you know Mr Wells, do you not?’
‘I do,’ I replied.
‘He is an acquaintance of mine and I have heard that he plans to publish your memories of our recent troubles.’
‘Yes, he was most insistent. I think he wished to put forth the ‘ordinary mans’ view of events.’
‘Quite so,’ said Cavendish. ‘Most admirable.’
‘Although, why his own memories are not enough is beyond me,’ I said. ‘He is not forthcoming on the matter.’
‘Well,’ Cavendish explained. ‘We have seen the drafts that you wrote for him and we were most impressed. We would like you to join us and document our further investigations.’
‘I hardly think I am qualified..’ I began.
‘Please, let me finish. We very much need the man of the street’s view of things. We are not short of scientists, nor of military men. They will write their own reports. Whilst we expect that we cannot make much of what we may find public, we need a representative of the people, who will write in a way that they will understand and you would seem to fit the bill admirably. Your original draft shows a remarkable grasp of things. It’s a pity we have had to ask Mr Wells to excise some of the finer details in the work he is undertaking based on your experiences.’
‘You have?’ I was shocked. Perhaps I should not have been, on reflection, but it came as a surprise at the time.
‘Indeed. It would not do for some of the more.. technical.. aspects to be known.’
Horton, who had been silent until this point, spoke.
‘It is for the good of the country, Mr Smith. Surely you must understand that.’
‘Of course. What do you have in mind?’
‘We will need you to pack some things…enough for a week or so, initially. You must not tell anyone where you are going, which is why I will say no more for now. Can we rely on you?’ Cavendish asked, setting down his cup.
I thought for a moment. The trauma of my experiences during the ‘war’ was still very much with me. I awoke sweating and screaming every night as I remembered what had happened to my friend Ogilvy, and what the terrible consequences of my actions with the Curate had been. Not to mention the horrible fate that befell so many of my fellow men and women. Without my wife’s succour, I would surely be in some institution, like so many other poor wretches who had been found aimlessly wandering the countryside after the carnage had ended.
Would this help exorcise those demons that lurked in the darkest reaches of the night, waiting to trouble me?
‘Would I be free to leave at any time?’
Cavendish nodded his great shaggy head. ‘We should like you to submit to a confidentiality agreement. You can only publish that which is cleared by either myself or Horton. Other than that, there are no restrictions.’
Curiosity had ridden rough shod over my doubts now. If only I had known what was to come.
‘Yes, then.’
‘Splendid!’ Cavendish beamed and both men stood. ‘You will be collected at 8 o’clock sharp tomorrow. Until then.’
With that, my strange guests said curt goodbyes and left, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

2. An Old Companion

I slept little, and such sleep as came to me was, as usual, haunted by huge, glowing saucer eyes and the bloodcurdling screams of the dying.
Somewhat bleary eyed and deep in thought, I was sat before an untouched plate of kedgeree in my dining room when the cab arrived to take me to London at eight sharp. I took a swig of cooling tea and made my way to the front of the house to collect my bags.
My wife sobbed quietly as I left. She held me as passionately as she had when we found each other again on my return to the house weeks before and she trembled a little as I gently stroked her hair and muttered comforting words in her ear. We had lost each other once before and she was reluctant to let me go again. I whispered to her that I would be perfectly safe and that I would be back within a week. Both, as it turned out, were false.
Outside, a black cab sat waiting, the horse pawing impatiently at the ground with a hoof. The driver jumped down from his perch atop the cab and shambled toward me.
The cabbie, a rough-looking, red faced fellow of the city, unceremoniously threw my luggage, and me for that matter, into the transport and, with a sharp ‘Hyah!’ roused the horse into a trot towards London.
In normal circumstances, a train would have been the best mode of transport, but engineering works were still underway to clear debris and repair the tracks in many areas, making rail travel impractical. Resigned, I settled back into the cracked leather of the cab’s interior, amid the smell of stale sweat and smoke, and tried to make myself as comfortable as I could against the chill morning air.
So on we went, but I remember little of the first part of the journey. As the cab clattered through the Surrey countryside, the driver swigged every so on from a flask. My tiredness and the rocking motion of our conveyance finally overcame me and I drifted off into sleep.

Primal dread and darkness surrounded me. A wet shuffling sound quickly turned my head. I peered fearfully into thick impenetrable gloom, trying to see what approached me.
I found myself powerless to move as the Martian lurched toward me. The huge eyes glowed like burning embers and the thing’s lipless mouth was coated with a viscous drool. Thick cable-like tentacles rippled and powerful muscles under its glistening, grey-brown hide bunched as it came. Very close now, I felt the monstrosity’s foul, stinking breath on my face and I could see every pore in the tough leathery skin.
The creature regarded me balefully for a moment and then it flourished a horrifyingly familiar instrument in one tentacle. I had seen this thing in a pit under a ruined house what seemed like years ago… and in my dreams ever since. The monster hooted softly as it pushed the spiked end of the apparatus closer and closer to me. I could only watch, paralysed, as my flesh was finally and inevitably pierced by the cold, sharp metal. As my blood began to flow, I cried out from the icy pain and I heard in the distance that dreadful howl.
‘Ullaaa!’

With a start, I awoke again. A hulking shape loomed over me and I started. It was no foul beast from the stars regarding me but the cab driver. He stared at me curiously for a moment then shrugged.
‘’Alf hour,’ he drawled and shambled away, muttering under his breath.
I unfolded myself from the cab and stretched, taking a moment to absorb in my surroundings and shake off the disorientation that the nightmare had left.
We had stopped, I found, by Shepperton Lock under a cloudy sky, and immediately memories of the battle I had seen here before swamped me. I remembered vividly my flight into the water and the horror as I had waited for the Heat-ray to strike me. A light drizzle fell from the heavens as if in memory of that terrible day.
The church tower was still ruined, but scaffolding had been erected and piles of stone and other materials were ready for the rebuilding. Looking around, I saw the Inn was nearly unscathed and open for business, so I headed toward it, my mouth suddenly dry.
The Inn was busy but I managed to find a table and sat down. A young, rosy-cheeked woman came and cheerily took my order… a stiff drink. I suddenly missed my wife terribly. In the Inn, hushed whispering was punctuated occasionally by loud laughter or gruff exclamations. A thick haze of tobacco smoke hung in the alcohol-soaked air like fog.
As my drink arrived, raucous laughter from the corner of the room drew my attention. A loud, somehow familiar, voice was raised.
‘We beat the blighters! Oh yes, my boys! They came and they couldn’t take the pressure! They thought they had us, but they were no match for the human race!’
A small, drunken cheer came from the orator’s companions.
The landlord glared from behind the bar at them.
‘Landlord! More drinks, if you please! We wish to toast the human race!’
I tried to place the toastmaster’s voice. Where had I heard it before?
I caught a glimpse of the man’s back as he lurched to his feet and staggered to the bar.
The Landlord whispered harshly to him and the man dug into the pockets of his army uniform and, dragging out a heap of change, slammed it onto the wet bar. The Landlord shook his head in despairingly, but took the coins and began pouring more drinks.
That was it. The man was wearing a very familiar uniform. Surely not?
As he turned round, I realised that it was indeed the Artilleryman. They very same man I had met twice before as calamity threatened the Earth. At the moment of that realisation, his eyes met mine and he started.
‘You!’ He mouthed silently. The startled look on his face changed slowly as a great grin broke onto his handsome face.
I found myself smiling.
His motley band of companions in the corner temporarily forgotten, he wandered over to me.
‘It’s you!’ He exclaimed. ‘Good lord!’ Reaching me, he pumped my hand eagerly.
‘Hello!’ I said simply. I could think of nothing else better as surprise was still on me. I had met this man twice before, during the War, but I had not expected to see him again after our last meeting.
‘Landlord! A drink for my friend here! Champagne!’ he sat next to me ‘Just like when I was in charge, eh?’ He winked conspiratorially.
Two glasses arrived with a bottle and the Artilleryman poured for us. Taking up a glass, he proposed a toast.
‘To us, survivors!’
I waved my glass vaguely at him and sipped the drink. This brought back my old disgust at our last encounter and gave the bubbling drink a bitter aftertaste.
‘So, how have you been?’ the Artilleryman asked. He swigged his drink down and wiped his mouth on his sleeve.
‘Very well,’ I replied. I was increasingly aware that the gulf between this man and I was wider than ever.
‘I thought you lost once again,’ he said. ‘You had that wild-eyed look I saw much during the War. Those with it generally ended up as Martian fodder I found.’
I smiled, I was only too aware, unconvincingly. ‘Well, I am all right, as you can see. I went home and found my wife.’ I did not mention that I had thought, like others it seems in that dark time, to sacrifice myself to the Fighting Machines and their hideous controllers.
‘Good for you,’ the soldier beamed. ‘I continued with my plan. You remember?’
‘I do,’ I said grimly.
‘It was going well too. But the monsters died and that was that. I had such great plans for getting back at them.’ He suddenly looked unhappy.
‘I remember. What are you doing now?’
‘Well,’ he said, smiling again. ‘Soon after those things started to die off, a unit of soldiers came through mopping them up. Finishing them off. I joined up with them.’
‘Finishing them off?’
‘Yes. Helping them on their way,’ he grinned. ‘We showed them what English steel tastes like as they breathed their last.’
For some reason, despite all the Martians had done and what fate they had in store for us, I found the whole idea distasteful. It must have showed on my face.
‘What?’ His visage darkened visibly. ‘You think we should have shown them mercy? They were as good as dead anyway. In a way, we did them a kindness. Stopped their suffering.’
Somehow, I doubted that kindness was in his heart as he skewered the creatures as they lay dying.
I was confused by these new feelings and changed the subject.
‘I cannot stay long; I am again heading for London and my transport leaves again soon.’
‘Really?’ The Artilleryman brightened again. ‘Business?’
‘Yes, something like that.’
He raised his glass which he had filled, again.
‘To business!’ I had the idea that this man would toast anything.
I sipped again from my glass and stood up.
‘Well,’ I said, extending my hand. ‘It was very good seeing you again.’
He grasped my hand and shook it. ‘And you, too. Look me up if you are in this area again. I believe we are to be stationed here for some while yet.’
‘That I will.’ Turning as I left the Inn, I saw the Artilleryman wander back to his friends and I wondered vaguely if fate would bring us together again in the future.

I reckon you've caught the style !!

Mind you, I'm no expert on that period or literature.
---

Alas, the Curse of the Chronicles Formatting has struck again-- I am reliably informed that selecting the A/A device prior to impressing your text will resolve this small difficulty...

It certainly has that Edwardian feel to me and as a fan of the original I think it works very well. It's about time someone tackled a 'proper' sequel to it. There's a few spin-offs and one or two that claim to be sequels (including that dreadful parallel universe one!), but none of them have hit the mark for me, but this one is extremely promising! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back