Which book is this quote from?

bearflag

"I imagined them as strong yet delicate, women given to ferocious resistance and swift surrender, Women who could be won but not bought - if such women exist in the world." - Gene Wolfe

As usual with Wolfe, something about this quote seems very strange, so much so that when my friend posted it, I told her that something was amiss but I couldn't place it.

If anyone knows which book (and chapter or page) this is from that would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally if anyone has any opinion as to the passages meaning I would appreciate that as well.

HMMM....I'm a big Wolfe fan but not sure where this comes from, maybe Soldier of the Mist, Book Of The New Sun or Knight Wizard, sorry I can't be of more help.

I believe this is a quote from The Knight, but I'm only 75% sure of this.

As to it's meaning? Only the author knows for sure and asking Mr. Wolfe to answer such a question would be futile.

For what it's worth, here is my interpretation:

The person speaking has never laid with a woman and can only imagine a womans strengths and weaknesses. He knows woman only through the bragging and/or complaints of others and prefers to imagine a companion who will match his intellect and lay with him by choice rather than conquest or purchase.

The speaker imagines a woman who will verbally challenge him and his advances only to find quite suddenly she has fallen for him. A woman whom he could win her heart, but would refuse gifts in exchange for love.

I hope this helps and please remember, this is only my opinion and I am a hopeless romantic!

I think that it comes from The Book of the New Sun, though possibly Urth of the New Sun. As I'm about to embark on a new reading, I'll keep my eyes open. Sorry that I can't be of more help just now.