Mary Hoffman; Stravaganza

hay
I'm new here and I love the stravaganza books. I've bought City of Secrets today in the Netherlands in a normal bookstore, but above says that the release is not today (29 juni) but 7th July. that's strange..
anyway I love the books :)

Nina

Thank you Nina and welcome to the Chrons! I imagine you mean you bought City of Secrets in English? As I've been told it won't be out in Dutch till September; indeed I have been in correspondence with my Dutch translator Annelies Jorna, who is still working on the text.

7th July is the date of the UK release.

Mary

But The Falconer's Knot is just out in Dutch, thouigh this is not a Stravganza novel.

hay
I'm new here and I love the stravaganza books. I've bought City of Secrets today in the Netherlands in a normal bookstore, but above says that the release is not today (29 juni) but 7th July. that's strange..
anyway I love the books :)

Nina

Where did you buy it? Waterstone's or something? Because I haven't seen the book yet..

Dear Mary,
I received today 'City of Secrets'; I'm reading chapter 4 and the books look fantastic. :)
The new cover is beautiful, although I preferred the covers previous.
I write my comment as soon as I finish to read it.

Hello.

I saw some postcards in the cinema the other day advertising the books, and found out about the new fourth one (I thought it was a trilogy and hadn't looked for more after reading 'Flowers'). I then saw it for sale in a bookshop, but was surprised when it looked totally different to the others). I'd like to know what has happened to the previous livery style? Will the new book be available in the old style at all, or do I need to buy the other three again to make my bookshelf match (yes I'm anal like that with books ;))?

Hello.

I saw some postcards in the cinema the other day advertising the books, and found out about the new fourth one (I thought it was a trilogy and hadn't looked for more after reading 'Flowers'). I then saw it for sale in a bookshop, but was surprised when it looked totally different to the others). I'd like to know what has happened to the previous livery style? Will the new book be available in the old style at all, or do I need to buy the other three again to make my bookshelf match (yes I'm anal like that with books ;))?

Dear Pointy,
I've heard about those postcards - though not seen any yet.

When it was decided (by Bloomsbury, not by me) to issue City of Secrets straight into paperback, they wanted to re-launch the series by having a new jacket style and re-ssuing the previous three to match.

So I'm afraid that's the only jacket there is or will be in the foreseeable future. But if you want it in hardback, the American edition is that, but with the same cover, if you see what I mean.

I hope, after all that, that you will like what is between the covers!

Mary

Dear Pointy,
I've heard about those postcards - though not seen any yet.

When it was decided (by Bloomsbury, not by me) to issue City of Secrets straight into paperback, they wanted to re-launch the series by having a new jacket style and re-ssuing the previous three to match.

So I'm afraid that's the only jacket there is or will be in the foreseeable future. But if you want it in hardback, the American edition is that, but with the same cover, if you see what I mean.

I hope, after all that, that you will like what is between the covers!

Mary

I'm sure I will!

It just made me wonder why they messed with the old style to make the new one. They do it a lot with books, and they do it with DVDs as well. It gets expensive for an anal bod like me who likes to have things that are of the same series on the shelf in livery that matches. :)

The postcards were just in the stand at the cinema with the rest of what they had. They look the same as the new covers (which at the time I hadn't seen). When I first saw them and saw the word 'Stravaganza' across them with photos on them rather than the pictures I was used to, I thought they were promoting a new film. It was only when I picked up the first one and the one behind was different (there was one for each book and whoever stacked the carousel set it up so they were consecutive), that I realised there'd been a new book. :)

By the way I think it's great that the actual author has taken the time to join the forums and take part in the conversations here. :eek:

--Pointy

Hello!

I'm 13 years old boy from Slovenia! Mary, your books are incredbiles!:D:D
I can't speak english so good!! But I study english!!
I would like to know the publication date of the book(in the Slovenia), if you now that.

Is maybe here someone from Slovenia?

For me is your the best book Stravaganza:City of Flowers!!

In the morning I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
In the afternoon I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
In the evening I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
At night I doesn't sleep becouse I'm hungry!!:(

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm 13 years old boy from Slovenia! Mary, your books are incredbiles!:D:D
I can't speak english so good!! But I study english!!
I would like to know the publication date of the book(in the Slovenia), if you now that.

Is maybe here someone from Slovenia?

For me is your the best book Stravaganza:City of Flowers!!

In the morning I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
In the afternoon I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
In the evening I doesn't eat because I read City of flowers!
At night I doesn't sleep becouse I'm hungry!!:(

Dear Vespesiano,
What a lovely posting! The second bit was a real poem.

I'm afraid I don't know when or if City of Secrets will be published in Slovenia - it is best to contact the publishers direct.

I'm so glad you like the books so much!

Mary

Hello.
I'd like to know what has happened to the previous livery style? Will the new book be available in the old style at all, or do I need to buy the other three again to make my bookshelf match
i totally agree with you!I think the series should be available in all the same design. I have to have all my books matching.I'll probably end up getting the new design because i've not brought any yet I got them from a library. I can't wait to read the next books!

Hello.
I'd like to know what has happened to the previous livery style? Will the new book be available in the old style at all, or do I need to buy the other three again to make my bookshelf match
i totally agree with you!I think the series should be available in all the same design. I have to have all my books matching.I'll probably end up getting the new design because i've not brought any yet I got them from a library. I can't wait to read the next books!

DuchessaIbby - I'm really sorry but the new covers are here to stay! This decision was made by my publisher (Bloomsbury UK) and there isn't a thing I can do about it.

The cover for City of Ships is pretty good though.

Mary

If a film was made, wouldn't it be amazing if it got the same response the Twilight series has got! The film was what really got them popular. But they'd need a really gorgeous guy to play Luciano...
=D

dear Mary,

I just read the 4 Stravaganza-books, and I really, really love them! I just can't wait to read the 5th book. But I think that I have to wait a while.;)
So I just wan't to ask you:

Do you know when the 5th book is in the stores? roughly? (i'm dutch, so my english isn't very very well:D) Do I have to wait long?

o yes, ehm..., i'm writing a story/book at this moment. (i've named it: Merina/Merlina: the change of life.) Do you have some nice "writer-tips"?

well, i think I've asked enough:p

bye!
XXX

Guusje (ughiti is my log-in name)

dear Mary,

I just read the 4 Stravaganza-books, and I really, really love them! I just can't wait to read the 5th book. But I think that I have to wait a while.;)
So I just wan't to ask you:

Do you know when the 5th book is in the stores? roughly? (i'm dutch, so my english isn't very very well:D) Do I have to wait long?

o yes, ehm..., i'm writing a story/book at this moment. (i've named it: Merina/Merlina: the change of life.) Do you have some nice "writer-tips"?

well, i think I've asked enough:p

bye!
XXX

Guusje (ughiti is my log-in name)

Dear Ughiti/Guusje,
I've just finsihed checking the page proofs of City of Ships (book Five) and I know it will be out here in March 2010. But of course it has to be translated into dutch. It is best for you to ask the Dutch publisher when it is scheduled for, as I don't have that information.

You might want to check my Writing Tips page on Mary Hoffman - Children's writer (through the FAQs)

And you might want to reconsider the title the Change of Life which in English is a way of saying "the menopause"!
Good luck!

Mary

i found the stravaganza series in the school library last year, i loved the old front cover for the city of masks, thats what attracted me to them really.
i got hooked, but ive been so busy and havent finished the city of secrets yet, i've got a hundred more pages to go and i cant wait to find out what happens, but seeing as there will be another book i suppose there will be a cliff hanger/unfinishedyness. its a shame when a series come to an end but i dont have the time to read but i have to find out what happens D: will the city of ships be the last?

oooh and will the series be made into a film? :]

Hi!
I never knew Mary had written so much of books! WOW! ;)
Are the books under "novels" title meant to teenagers or childrens? Or perhaps to adults or for all? ;)

I have just read the Stravaganzas and I would like to read more of Mary's books! :)
Haidi