HPL & Tiger Lillies

gavinicuss

Having recently discovered the musical group Tiger Lillies, I came across their Lovecraft show called Mountains of Madness. I cannot tell you that they are a rock music group, but neither do I feel able to tell you just what it is that they are. This Lovecraftian show is on dvd, being a multimedia performance with graphic arts and spoken word as well as musical accompaniment (percussion, string bass, electronic instruments, computers, accordion) and the sort of singing that might remind you of the Monty Python guys when they wear dresses (falsetto).

One of my hobbies is collecting musical treatments of Lovecraft. I suppose that it is the sheer unlikeliness of this pairing that makes me interested in staying abreast of any attempts to make it work.

The progressive rock group, Payne's Gray, made what I consider a superlative addition to this sub-genre with their underground music audio cd Kadath Decoded, with English lyrics written by German poet Rainer Schmidt of Frankfurt. I actually have some remaining copies of this cd for sale (Gavinicuss books).

But the Tiger Lillies are something else. I'm not sure what to make of their dvd, but I'd love to hear some of the reactions here if anyone manages to track it down.