Bernard Cornwell

kcs_hiker

when starting his Sharpe's seriess, should I start with his first published (Sharpe's Rifles) or the first chronological (Sharpe's Tiger)?

Should I just get both? heh:D

I'd say it's up to you, both are excellent reads, but Hakeswill appears in 'Sharpe's Tiger,' and we find out why Sharpe was flogged.

I have never fancied reading them, but have read his other series. Please let me know if they are worth a look?

Im gonna start with Sharpe's Eaglecause its the first Sharpe written and i believe in reading published order cause you see how the writer made the series as it goes. Instead of starting with prequls and stuff.

I'd suggest starting with Sharpe's Tiger and continue from their as the published order really jumps around in the timeline.

I have just finished his Last Kingdom trilogy. I love the guy, his writing is so simple and descriptive.

I have never fancied reading them, but have read his other series. Please let me know if they are worth a look?

They are good reads. I've yet to meet someone who's read them and hasn't enjoyed them and I've met lots of people who've read them. (So saying, someone will now probably post here who doesn't like them at all!!)

Anyways, I'd recommend them and say definitely take a look.

I'd suggest starting with Sharpe's Tiger and continue from their as the published order really jumps around in the timeline.

I dont care much chronology order when its series like these i prefer published no matter how many time it jumps around in the timeline.

Plus only few of the books go back in the timeline.

I have just finished his Last Kingdom trilogy. I love the guy, his writing is so simple and descriptive.

Just so's you know, svalbard, this series is known as "The Saxon Chronicles", and Cornwell isn't stopping at three books. There's a fourth coming out in January called "Sword Song".

As for his Sharpe series, I haven't read any of them yet, but I have to assume they're very good because I rarely see any of them showing up in the used book stores, and thrift stores around these parts. They must sell well because all the new book stores around here keep all the titles in stock (if they didn't sell, they wouldn't stock them). The fact that they don't show up used tells me people must enjoy them so much they hang onto them to read again.

Have you guys read the harlequin books too? I liked them more than the arthur books but not much talk of them here. Sharpe is a little silly but enjoyable.

God save Ireland.

Hmm, it's obviously horses for courses as I found his "harlequin" books his weakest to date!!

I have ordered Harlequin so i hope its NOT the weakest wouldnt be a good place to start reading him ;)

I like the generic adventure story style of harlequin. Stonehenge is definitely the worst, couldn't finish.

I could not start Stonehenge. It smacked of crap.

The Harlequin trilogy is great but the Warlord Trilogy is the best thing he has ever written. He says so himself. :)

Warlord will be the last thing of him i read it feels like cause im alittle sick of arthurian stories at the moment.

no mate...try his latest series on alfred the great, you trust me...dont you? i promise you will love it.

Whats the name of that series? The Saxons one? I think i saw Alfred name when i read about that series.

I read most of them in published order but then stopped and restarted in chronological order. As he used the books to fill in times covered in the TV series and then people wanted more younger. If you read them published then you know what happens to some characters that "reappear" in the back time stories and they are not as suspensful....

Just my two cents, but published or chronological, they are a must read!!!!