Which is your favourite book? (Any series)

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
Rearranging my bookcase recently led to my rediscovering several novels that I thought I'd lost, and I was pleased because they were some of my favourites. That got me thinking about which one - out of any of Anne's series - was my actual favourite.

I think my favourite has to be The White Dragon (DRoP), not least because of the nostalgia factor that goes with it. It was the first SFF book I read, or remember reading, and I loved the story. A close second would have to be DragonDrums, simply for the charm of the story, even though it's not a long book.

So, do you have a favourite book out of any of Anne's series?

I have to say my favourite books by Anne McCaffrey have to be Dragonsong and Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern out of the Dragonriders of Pern series, and Freedom's Landing out of the Catteni sequence.

Dragonsong because I love Menolly and her fire lizards in it (I don't know why I prefer this book to Dragonsong, but I do lol)
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern because I thought it was different. And it made me cry near the end :( which is a good thing, honest lol
And Freedom's Landing because I love the idea of having to live without any technology, as well as having to work together, and exploring a planet, and *sigh* just all of it lol

I mean, I mean, there aren't any of Anne McCaffreys books that I've read that I haven't enjoyed, but these just have to be my favourite favourites =)

In the Pern series, All the Weyrs of Pern is the one I re-read most often, followed by Dragonsdawn.
In other series, my favourites are: Powers that Be, To Ride Pegasus, The Ship Who Sang, and the stand-alone, Restoree. The latter was the very first book of hers that I read, and from then on I looked out for each new publication as it came out.

Moreta is my favorite Pern book. It was the first AMC book I read, and I like the way it stands alone. There are also far fewer continuity errors in the book than usual in Anne's writing. Even if the short story Beyond Between almost ruined the book for me.

The Rowan is my favorite non-Pern book. I like the way it's almost exclusively written from the Rowan's viewpoint. I love all Talent books, but the last ones in the Tower series have so many POVs that it gets a bit confusing. It certainly confused Anne, because there are quite a lot of errors.

Tough. Very tough. I like your Pern choices, Talysia, I'd go with The White Dragon then Dragondrums as well. But I also loved The Crystal Singer so much. I'd be hardpressed to pick a best choice. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

you know, this is an impossible question to answer. at least with a single title. most of the pern books are a happiness, theough I think I'd go All the Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern, White Dragon, Dragonflight, Dragons Eye, and Dragonsdawn as an order of prefer to read, if only Pern. I also like the entire Crystal Singer series, and some of the Brain and Brawn ships series, in that series I've had a clear cut favorite. The Ship who Searched. Pegasus in Space followed by pegasus in flight, favorite wise. have read the Rowan series, but can't really tag any of the books that I would call favorite or even list all that high in preference. Doona and the freedom books I wasn't really all that impressed with either. so as far as series go, three that are a preference, pern, crystal singer and pegasus (I still reread the FT&T end of it as well, but more for filler)

*sigh*

Dragging this subject back on topic, I do like All the Weyrs of Pern, too, although that's probably for sentimental reasons.

I like most of her books, but All the Weyrs of Pern is probably my favorite, don't really know why though, I just really enjoy reading it. :)

Though i love Moreta, being the very first AMC book i read, my favourites - as indicated by having re-read them SO many times are Dragonsong and Dragonsinger.
I enjoy almost all the books, tho Dragonflight and Dragonquest are difficult for me to stomach any time F'Lar is in scene... how i detest that character! I love Lessa tho...

The White Dragon - possibly the most well-rounded of the Pern novels.

I have the same problem with Jaxom as devilsgrin has with F'lar. I admit F'lar is annoying a lot of the time, but Jaxom is annoying all the time. For me, the only redeeming thing about TWD is Ruth, he's my favorite dragon.

Aw, poor Jaxy! He's not that bad - at least, not compared to Piemur, my least favourite character...
But I agree with you about Ruth - I'd love a Ruth of my own...:)

Perhaps we should start a thread for characters we don't like!:eek::D

On the subject, though, I was never fond of Mirrim myself. I don't know why.