Here goes nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeoman

This is the first half of the first paragraph, I started this almost two years ago, I didn't get far with it though, but I do like this paragraph, I'm always fiddleing with it and changing things because I don't think they fit etc, but I do like it. Anyway, feel free to tell me what you think, and don't hold back, its for my own good after all.

I might post the second half of the paragraph tomorrow.

Project: Indigo - Working title

The Worst Job in the World (Part A - 1800 words approx)

A tall blonde woman marched down the hallway, she wore an expensive black jacket as well as a black knee-length skirt that flowed as she walked. She was in her late forties and walked with purpose, under her left arm she carried a large black briefcase which was clamped in an iron grip. Her hair was short, white and spiked a tiny bit, the bright lights struck her eyes but they didn’t faze her. She wore black high-healed boots, they hammered on the floor as she moved, announcing her presence. It seemed deafening in the silent hallway. A pair of black leather gloves pocked out her pocket, small diamond earrings swung gently, she wore no rings on her fingers.
The hallway was simple; creamy colours with a hint of green, the woman began to approach two guards stationed at a door. They were clad in a traditional camouflage pattern, except it was deep red, dark blue and black instead of the usual range of greens. They also carried an assault rifle on their shoulders, as she neared they saluted, she didn’t reciprocate. She simply took a key card out of her jacket pocket and swiped herself in.
The walls were as plain as the ones outside, except this room was bustling, rows of desks with computers, and loads of people buzzed around. A short smartly dressed woman handed her a file, she took it, almost snatching it. Scanning it quickly she placed it down, a look of relief spread across her features but it was barely noticeable. A second woman approached, she also had a file with her.
“This is from the Safety Officer on Level -4,” said the woman as she placed it neatly on the desk.
“Thank you Kiera” she replied, she sat down slowly, whipped open the file and examined it. Apparently there were electrical faults in three of the cages on level –4, suddenly the woman’s face grew irritated.
“Kiera, when did this come in?” she asked as she got to her feet.
“About 2 hours ago ma’am when Mr Bashmer left” she replied, looking up curious.
“Didn’t anybody read it or get this fixed,” she hissed as she waved the file.
“No ma’am, it was addressed to you, but you-” Kiera stopped mid sentence as the other woman rushed out of the room.
She almost charged down the hallway, her boots louder than ever, she passed door after door, each one made from thick dull metal. She turned off down another hallway, the lights dimmer in this one, two more guards saluted as she passed but she ignored them. She stopped short in front of a door, her figure reflected on it, she admired it gently checking her hair and pushing at her wrinkles with disgust. As she put her key card in the slot it slipped from her grip, she sighed as she bent to pick it up, it read ‘Elizabeth Mercy Kraig’ After smoothing her skirt down she entered the room, a couple of people wearing white lab coats bustled round the cluttered room that was filled with hi-tech and expensive equipment.
“Right!” Elizabeth yelled louder than necessary, causing some of the other’s to jump in shock.
“Ma’am, a problem?” one of them stammered as he stood tensely.
“I want to know why I received a letter just now telling me about some electrical faults, why didn’t I get phoned, why wasn’t anything done about this, you know how serious any problem could be I hope, no matter how small,” she said firmly, she seemed to calmer than she first had been.
‘W…well, the usual protocol-” But she cut him off.
“Protocol, since when has protocol done anything for anyone? Think for yourself, this is serious, not some stupid leak in the girls locker room!” She retorted. She waved the file in the air “This says Elizabeth M Kraig on it, not ‘No one look at it and let all the freaking anomalies escape and maim us horribly’!” She snatched a pen from her pocket, signed the file and handed it to a gormless technician on the sidelines. “Get this fixed, NOW” she ordered.
“Ma’am, with all due respect, this is the first time a fault of this sort happened, how were we supposed to know how serious it could be,” one of the techs said as he stood reading the notice from one of the overnight staff.
“Use your head, this project is very secretive and potentially very dangerous, your all scientists of some description, you know what is down there, any what would happen if it gets out. Next time there’s a problem, you call me immediately!” the woman explained. She took a look around the room once more, pale green on concrete blocks. She slowly left, her face flushed, she sighed again and slowly walked off down another corridor.
It seemed endless, the same old same old. She stopped at a large black metal double door and hefted it open. It creaked awkwardly.
Inside a small army of people in bulky yellow airtight suits moved around intensely, a sign had ‘Power grid’ written in big bold black letters. The place was huge, two large domes sat on the left of the room and they hummed quietly, and Elizabeth slowly walked across to a console with a few people gathered round it.
“Everything all right?” she asked cautiously as she peered through the blockade of bodies.
“Yes ma’am!” one of them replied, his eyes glued to the screen, and his fingers to the keyboard. He was so engrossed in his work that he didn’t seem to really notice who she was or get scared.
“Good, keep it that way,” she said, a deep cruelness hidden in her voice. She carried on towards another door, as she opened it, a vent discharged a sea of steam on the wall behind her, in that instant she looked like a super hero in a tacky film, silhouetted against the white steam.
As she strolled off down another hallway back to the operations room a horrible screech pierced the air. It wasn’t very loud, but she heard it. She looked down a corridor, almost pitch black, she knew where it went. Through some double doors, to a block of stairs 32 steps exactly though another door and down some more stairs, 32 of them, down a dark hallway and another at the third right. Down another level in a large lift. The cages, where they were kept. In the dark. A secret. Suddenly she carried on, ignoring what she just heard, it was a secret, and it was best to pretend she didn’t know the truth. Thinking about it to much made it real, she hated that, the reality of what was really going on, what she was doing, what she was a part of. It came again after only a few seconds, she stopped on the spot, looking round slowly. The guards that were patrolling the hallway had just come round the corner and didn’t even flinch.
She went back to investigate, carefully making her way down the dark creepy corridor. At the door, there were no guards, there should be four, two on each side, her nerves started to rocket. Where were they?
“Ma’am?” a voice said behind her. The voice had made her jump so she spun round hastily.
“What are you doing away from your posts?” she asked menacingly. In response two of the guards held up coffee cups, the two behind them just stood there like dummies. “ All four of you, to get four cups of coffee, I suggest you use your brains in the future, this isn’t Starbucks, your supposed working” she sneered, annoyed at how stupid people where in this place. She eyed each one with hawk eyes “Oh and thanks” she said as she neared them.
“For what?” one of them asked uneasily.
“Coffee! Though I prefer it black,” she said as she snatched a cup and turned on her heal. She knew she was feared by most of the staff, the director, the evil bitch, a heart of ice people said she had. In some ways it was fun. In other ways serious, to leave this job you had to be respected and trusted, the risk of exposure was just to high, to get ‘the sack’ was a very bad thing indeed, the only way out was when you were allowed to retire.
Her shoes echoed in the stairwell as she quickly descended, into the other corridor, it was dim, like when an energy saving light bulb just comes to life.
For some reason she always became cold when she went down into restricted areas, only authorised personnel were aloud to venture here. It was probably because she knew what was down there, like when you’re looking over your shoulder after watching a horror movie. She descended the second set of stairs, one of many, she hated the décor, big grey concrete blocks, it would at least be better if they tried to not make it so dark and gloomy. She went past four more guards stationed by a lift. She got into the caged lift, it seemed frail and pointless, but it would be a godsend if they got out, if any of them got out. The lift squeaked and whirred, as it’s motor burst into life, soon she was a level lower and continued onward.
Then a scientist in a white overcoat came out of a room, his front drenched in blood, he turned off somewhere as he whistled a happy tune. The cheery tune caused her to smile, but soon the whistling died away along with her smile.
One thing that annoyed her was how stupid people were, couldn’t they think for themselves? ‘Miss Director, please sign this so I can fix the toilets’ or ‘my tiny hands can’t carry four cups’. She sighed
****. She stumbled a little as the screech came again, it sounded quite close by, it wasn’t so loud, it just filled the emptiness of the whole complex. After checking her shoe she carried on, like someone regaining their dignity after falling when on stage, but luckily no-one saw her stumble.
Round the corner stood two guards, their eyes focused on the cage. Walking over to them she examined the cage. It had a structure made from thick metal, bullet proof glass in between sections with a sturdy door as well. It also had a kind of inner cage, like chicken wire, but it covered the whole cage except the floor, however the wire was thicker and definitely stronger than chicken wire. It was also electrified, she knew that much, and so did the thing inside it. It was dull in the cage, one small light was on, plus there was a small shelter, made from concrete blocks like everything else. The thing hid in the shadows.
By now the guards noticed the Directors presence, but they didn’t look at her, neither did she. She just stared at the cage and didn’t flinch, even when the thing screeched, she wasn’t going to be thought a coward just because she was a woman.

WoW! I can truelly feel the atmosphere and i can see the entire thing in my mind. You are truelly good! By the way, what are the four stars on the eleventh line up from the bottom??? It says "she sighed ****."

Thanks. :)

Darn forum censors, well she stumbles and is shocked so she's thinking 'sh*it', worried she might fall flat on her face. :D

Thanks.
How much do you write? You should really try to expand your talents as much as possible

I like your style ;). Even though I like reading 1st person more than 3rd, your style is a good mix of the two that uses the advantages of both in synergy.
Though there are spelling mistakes here and there... ;)

@ Carpe Diem, I don't write that often, perhaps 2 or 3 days out of each week, and that is usually split up by the three different 'projects' I started.

@anomanderis, thanks:). I'm not great at spelling, and often I end up typing alot of rubbish because my fingers always end up hitting the wrong key or hitting two by mistake - bad finger-keyboard co-ordination. :D I usually rely on the Microsoft spellchecker to help me out.
Hmm, the spelling mistakes you mentioned, couldn't give me an example could you? So far they seem to be eluding me.

“About 2 hours ago ma’am when Mr Bashmer left” she replied, looking up curious.

I think it should be - "About 2 hours ago, ma’am, when Mr Bashmer left” she replied, looking up curious.

She stopped short in front of a door, her figure reflected on it, she admired it gently checking her hair and pushing at her wrinkles with disgust
Doesn't make sense. Should be 2 sentences. -
She stopped short in front of a door, her figure reflected on it. She admired it gently checking her hair and pushing at her wrinkles with disgust
She slowly left, her face flushed, she sighed again and slowly walked off down another corridor.
Same as above. - She slowly left, her face flushed. She sighed again and slowly walked off down another corridor.
I would also avoid repeating slowly that close. And consider the syntax of the sentences - she left slowly, etc... (that's how i'd like it)

The place was huge, two large domes sat on the left of the room and they hummed quietly, and Elizabeth slowly walked across to a console with a few people gathered round it.
No spelling mistakes, but you repeat and in too close a proximity for me to feel comfortable :p.

She looked down a corridor, almost pitch black, she knew where it went.
I'd consider a full stop there - She looked down a corridor almost pitch-black. She knew where it went.

Through some double doors, to a block of stairs 32 steps exactly though another door
That though should be a through, i think.

Suddenly she carried on, ignoring what she just heard
Seems odd. Shouldn't it be - ignoring what she had just heard?

It came again after only a few seconds, she stopped on the spot, looking round slowly.
It should be around, not round :). Round is a noun, while around is whatever it is that is not a noun.

this isn’t Starbucks, your supposed working”
Supposed to be working.

“Coffee! Though I prefer it black,” she said as she snatched a cup and turned on her heal
Turned on her heel.

She knew she was feared by most of the staff, the director, the evil bitch, a heart of ice people said she had.
Definitely a full stop there. - She knew she was feared by most of the staff. The director. The evil bitch. A heart of ice, people said she had.

In other ways serious, to leave this job you had to be respected and trusted, the risk of exposure was just to high
just too high

only authorised personnel were aloud
authorized personnel were allowed

By now the guards noticed the Directors presence, but they didn’t look at her, neither did she.
The Director's. and that last part of the sentence is just bazonkers, since i read out that she didn't look at herself ;) .

Ooh, I managed to collect quite a few and not all of them spelling mistakes. Some I even left behind, I think.

Now that I read the text for the second time, I can give you some better critique :).
I'll say again that I really like your style of writing, but you should consider using much less commas and more full stops.
And after someone has said something, i wouldn't use - she said tensely - (you do this sort of thing more than once, which is why it started bothering me in the end), but rather something in the lines of - she said, her shoulders racked with tension.

But that's just my opinion :p

“This is from the Safety Officer on Level -4,” said the woman as she placed it neatly on the desk.

Very entertaining. Good job!

I would make one suggestion. It is easier to grab the reader if you start off a story with a snappy line of dialogue or a beautifully written sentence or two of prose. In your case I would suggest starting off with the line of dialogue above. Then wrap the character and scene descriptions around the dialogue. I suggest this only because it is hard on readers with short attention spans to wade through a few paragraphs of solid description at the beginning of a story.

Other than that, this is very good work!

and that last part of the sentence is just bazonkers, since i read out that she didn't look at herself ;) .

A random mirror perhaps? Perhaps not.:p

Thankyou though, you have a good eye, either that or my eyes are poor and un-trained. :D

@ Laura Stamps, Thankyou also, and a good point, I'll have to see what I can do.

First comment: Split your paragraphs up; a big lump of text puts people off reading and commenting on it
Second comment: Don't get put off by my line edits.
This is the first half of the first paragraph, I started this almost two years ago, I didn't get far with it though, but I do like this paragraph, I'm always fiddleing with it and changing things because I don't think they fit etc, but I do like it. Anyway, feel free to tell me what you think, and don't hold back, its for my own good after all.

I might post the second half of the paragraph tomorrow.

Project: Indigo - Working title

The Worst Job in the World (Part A - 1800 words approx)

A tall
comma
blonde woman marched down the hallway,
full stop
she wore an expensive black jacket as well as
possibly just "and" rather than "as well as", and a comma after "black"
a black knee-length skirt that flowed as she walked. She was in her late forties and walked with purpose,
Full stop
under her left arm she carried a large black briefcase which was clamped in an iron grip. Her hair was short, white and spiked a tiny bit,
full stop; or possibly, if you consider the hair and eyes connected, a semicolon.
the bright lights struck her eyes but they didn’t faze her. She wore black high-healed boots, they
how about "which" instead of "they", then you don't have to worry about yet another full stop or semicolon
hammered on the floor as she moved, announcing her presence. It seemed deafening in the silent hallway. A pair of black leather gloves pocked out her pocket, small diamond earrings swung gently, she wore no rings on her fingers.
The hallway was simple; creamy colours with a hint of green,
full stop
the woman began to approach two guards stationed at a door. They were clad in a traditional camouflage pattern, except it was deep red, dark blue and black instead of the usual range of greens. They also carried an assault rifle
plural (assault rifles) unless they're sharing one
on their shoulders,
full stop
as she neared they saluted,
semicolon
she didn’t reciprocate. She simply took a key card out of her jacket pocket and swiped herself in.
The walls were as plain as the ones outside, except
It's not really "except" as the walls and people are independent. "But"?
this room was bustling, rows of desks with computers, and loads of people buzzed around. A short
comma; and I'd put a hyphen into "smartly-dressed"
smartly dressed woman handed her a file,
that would be another semicolon, but I'd suggest "which she took, thus removing the two phrases ending with "it"
she took it, almost snatching it. Scanning it quickly she placed it down,
full stop; or you could "a barely noticeable look of relief spreading across her features" (or some combination of the two)
a look of relief spread across her features but it was barely noticeable. A second woman approached,
semicolon
she also had a file with her.
“Thank you Kiera” she replied,
full stop
she sat down slowly, whipped open the file and examined it. Apparently there were electrical faults in three of the cages on level –4,
full stop
suddenly the woman’s face grew irritated.
“Kiera, when did this come in?” she asked as she got to her feet.
“About 2 hours ago
write out smaller numbers (such as "two", commas round "ma'am"
ma’am when Mr Bashmer left” she replied, looking up
either this is an adverb, "curiously" to descibe "looking up" or it needs a comma to separate it
“Didn’t anybody read it or get this fixed,
question mark
” she hissed as she waved the file.
“No ma’am, it was addressed to you, but you-” Kiera stopped mid sentence as the other woman rushed out of the room.
She almost charged down the hallway, her boots louder than ever,
full stop
she passed door after door, each one made from thick dull metal. She turned off down another hallway, the lights dimmer in this one,
semicolon
two more guards saluted as she passed but she ignored them. She stopped short in front of a door, her figure reflected on it, she admired it gently
comma; and she didn't really "admire" her reflection, if the wrinkles disgusted her, just observed it
checking her hair and pushing at her wrinkles with disgust. As she put her key card in the slot it slipped from her grip, she sighed as she bent to pick it up,
full stop
it read ‘Elizabeth Mercy Kraig’
full stop
After smoothing her skirt down she entered the room, a couple of people wearing white lab coats bustled round the cluttered room that was filled with hi-tech and expensive equipment.
clumsy structure, and again two sentences (full stop before "a couple" but it would be possible to "entered the cluttered room where a couple of people wearing white lab coats bustled round hi-tech and expensive equipment." (yes, I know not quite the same meaning)
“Right!” Elizabeth yelled louder than necessary, causing some of the other’s to jump in shock.
“Ma’am, a problem?” one of them stammered as he stood tensely.
“I want to know why I received a letter just now telling me about some electrical faults,
I generally leave dialogue, but am handling this as if it were stadard text. Feel free to ignore me.
Full stop after "faults"
why didn’t I get phoned,
question mark
why wasn’t anything done about this,
question mark
you know how serious any problem could be I hope, no matter how small,” she said firmly, she seemed to calmer than she first had been.
‘W…well, the usual protocol-” But she cut him off.
“Protocol, since when has protocol done anything for anyone? Think for yourself, this is serious, not some stupid leak in the girls
girls'
locker room!” She retorted. She waved the file in the air “This says Elizabeth M Kraig on it, not ‘No one look at it and let all the freaking anomalies escape and maim us horribly’!” She snatched a pen from her pocket, signed the file and handed it to a gormless technician on the sidelines. “Get this fixed, NOW” she ordered.
“Ma’am, with all due respect, this is the first time a fault of this sort
has
happened, how were we supposed to know how serious it could be,” one of the techs said as he stood reading the notice from one of the overnight staff.
“Use your head,
semicolon
this project is very secretive and potentially very dangerous,
full stop; and "you're", not "your"
your all scientists of some description, you know what is down there, any
and?
what would happen if it gets out. Next time there’s a problem, you call me immediately!” the woman explained. She took a look around the room once more, pale green on concrete blocks. She slowly left, her face flushed,
full stop; but again the structure could be improved, in particular removing the repetition of "slowly"
she sighed again and slowly walked off down another corridor.
It seemed endless, the same old same old. She stopped at a large black metal double door and hefted it open. It creaked awkwardly.
Inside a small army of people in bulky yellow airtight suits moved around intensely, a sign had ‘Power grid’ written in big bold black letters. The place was huge, two large domes sat
sitting
on the left of the room and they
without the "and they"?
hummed quietly, and Elizabeth slowly walked across to a console with a few people gathered round it.
“Everything all right?” she asked cautiously as she peered through the blockade of bodies.
“Yes ma’am!” one of them replied, his eyes glued to the screen, and his fingers to the keyboard. He was so engrossed in his work that he didn’t seem to really notice who she was or get scared.
“Good, keep it that way,” she said, a deep cruelness
normally the noun is "cruelty"
hidden in her voice. She carried on towards another door,
full stop
as she opened it, a vent discharged a sea of steam on the wall behind her,
full stop
in that instant she looked like a super hero in a tacky film, silhouetted against the white steam.
As she strolled off down another hallway back to the operations room a horrible screech pierced the air. It wasn’t very loud, but she heard it. She looked down a corridor, almost pitch black,
semicolon
she knew where it went. Through some double doors, to a block of stairs
comma
32 steps exactly
comma; and the already mentioned "through"
though another door and down some more stairs, 32 of them, down a dark hallway and another at the third right. Down another level in a large lift. The cages, where they were kept.
if not "that was" (or "that's") perhaps "were kept there? It's just a bit shorthand as it is.
In the dark. A secret. Suddenly she carried on, ignoring what she
had (or "she'd")
just heard, it was a secret, and it was best to pretend she didn’t know the truth. Thinking about it to
too
much made it real,
semicolon
she hated that, the reality of what was really going on, what she was doing, what she was a part of. It came again after only a few seconds,
semicoln
she stopped on the spot, looking round slowly. The guards that were patrolling the hallway had just come round the corner and didn’t even flinch.
She went back to investigate, carefully making her way down the dark creepy corridor. At the door,
no comma
there were no guards,
if you put a "when" there, you make the connection with "her nerves"
there should be four, two on each side, her nerves started to rocket. Where were they?
“Ma’am?” a voice said behind her. The voice had made her jump
comma
so she spun round hastily.
“What are you doing away from your posts?” she asked menacingly. In response two of the guards held up coffee cups, the two behind them just stood
standing
there like dummies. “ All four of you, to get four cups of coffee,
question mark
I suggest you use your brains in the future, this isn’t Starbucks, your
you're
to be?
working” she sneered, annoyed at how stupid people where
were
in this place. She eyed each one with hawk eyes “Oh and thanks” she said as she neared them.
“For what?” one of them asked uneasily.
“Coffee! Though I prefer it black,” she said as she snatched a cup and turned on her heal
heel
. She knew she was feared by most of the staff, the director, the evil bitch, a heart of ice people said she had. In some ways it was fun. In other ways serious, to leave this job you had to be respected and trusted, the risk of exposure was just to
too
high, to get ‘the sack’ was a very bad thing indeed, the only way out was when you were allowed to retire.
Her shoes echoed in the stairwell as she quickly descended, into the other corridor, it was dim, like when an energy saving light bulb just comes to life.
For some reason she always became cold when she went down into restricted areas, only authorised personnel were aloud
allowed
to venture here.
perhaps "where only authorised personel were allowed to venture"?
It was probably because she knew what was down there,
possibly "here" (rather than "there, as she is; and how about leaving out ""when you're"?
like when you’re looking over your shoulder after watching a horror movie. She descended the second set of stairs, one of many, she hated the décor, big grey concrete blocks,
full stop
it would at least be
have been
better if they
"if they had tried not to make it…" or "to make it not so dark…" (split infinitive)
tried to not make it so dark and gloomy. She went past four more guards stationed by a lift. She got into the caged lift, it seemed frail and pointless, but it would be a godsend if they got out, if any of them got out. The lift squeaked and whirred,
no comma
as it’s motor burst into life,
semicolon
soon she was a level lower and continued onward.
Then a scientist in a white overcoat came out of a room, his front drenched in blood, he turned off somewhere as he whistled a happy tune. The cheery tune caused her to smile, but soon the whistling died away along with her smile.
One thing that annoyed her was how stupid people were,
semicolon
couldn’t they think for themselves? ‘Miss Director, please sign this so I can fix the toilets’ or ‘my tiny hands can’t carry four cups’. She sighed
****. She stumbled a little as the screech came again,
full stop
it sounded quite close by,
semicolon
it wasn’t so loud, it just filled the emptiness of the whole complex. After checking her shoe she carried on, like someone regaining their dignity after falling when on stage, but luckily no-one saw her stumble.
Round the corner stood two guards, their eyes focused on the cage. Walking over to them she examined the cage. It had a structure made from thick metal, bullet proof glass in between sections with a sturdy door as well. It also had a kind of inner cage, like chicken wire, but it covered the whole cage except the floor, however the wire was thicker and definitely stronger than chicken wire.
too many repetitions of "cage" find some synonyms , or equivalents (like "structure" or "constructtion"
It was also electrified,
semicolon
she knew that much, and so did the thing inside it. It was dull in the cage, one small light was on, plus there was a small shelter, made from concrete blocks like everything else. The thing hid in the shadows.
By now the guards
had
noticed the Directors
Director's
presence, but they didn’t look at her, neither did she. She just stared at the cage and didn’t flinch, even when the thing screeched,
semicolon
she wasn’t going to be thought a coward just because she was a woman.
I probably missed a couple.

Yeoman, although I like it, it reads more like a TV script than a story. The first part of the first para is an example.

"A tall blonde woman marched down the hallway, she wore an expensive black jacket as well as a black knee-length skirt that flowed as she walked. She was in her late forties and walked with purpose, under her left arm she carried a large black briefcase which was clamped in an iron grip. Her hair was short, white and spiked a tiny bit, the bright lights struck her eyes but they didn’t faze her. She wore black high-healed boots, they hammered on the floor as she moved, announcing her presence."

Be cautious of consecutive sentences starting 'she was...', 'she wore...' etc., as these tend to read more like directions than a flowing story. This entire para would be much tighter and punchier shortened down to a single sentence.

"A tall blonde woman in her late forties marched purposefully down the corridor, her black skirt flowing around her dark, shiny high healed boots that hammered the floor with each step...... etc.,

This is isn't quite right but illustrates my point.

Another way to improve the piece is to go through and take stuff out. There are a couple of "she replied's" that could go straight away.

I need to learn to not just say the "mean" things when I review stuff.

It's too front-loaded with description. Pepper it throughout the passage instead of putting it all at the start. You want to pop in with the action from word one, and let the description follow afterwards. It's easy to slip it in, with simple acts here and there. Have her straighten out an article of clothing, touch her short white hair, emote facially in a way that shows the age around her eyes, etc.

Also, the ending bit, there's too much description and not enough tension built. Chose your words carefully, as they can make all the difference. You can describe the same scene in multiple ways, and one way will really send it home.

Chris got you on the grammar so I'll leave you alone there :)

Also, split your paragraphs. Put a full blank line between each new paragraph. You (I believe) misused the word "paragraph" in your explanation of the passage, so if you're unclear on what it is, ask and we can clarify (may have just been a careless typo, so I'll just spare you the explanaion here unless you want it). This makes it easier for us to read.

Tell, don't show. You don't tell us she's an "evil bitch," for instance; you let the readers work that one out for themselves. If you write her vile, she will come through that way. I don't think I would have enjoyed Crime and Punishment if Dostoevsky had out and told me that Raskolnikov was wracked with guilt; in fact, I probably would have been insulted. Trust your characterization will show through :)

This could be cleaned up to be quite good. It has a good basic start, and I could see it taking an interesting direction. Just need to tidy things up a bit.

Thankyou all for helping me out. I hope I've learned something. :)

@Vintage Fury, yep that was a typo. I'd alter it, but I don't seem to be able to find an edit button. :) I hope it would have came across that she was quite nasty, if I had left out that she was an 'Evil Bitch'.

@Chris, thankyou that was a very thorough and helpful.:cool:

@mosaix, good points. :cool:

Hi Yeoman

I agree with what everyone has said. This is very good.

I would start with Laura's suggestion first:
Start your story with the dialogue line.

Then move on to what vintagefury mentioned:
Trickle the characteristics of Elizabeth throughout the story

And perhaps look at the way Mosaix has set it up.

An example:
she admired it gently checking her hair and pushing at her wrinkles with disgust.

You have already suggested she is middle aged here, you don't need it elsewhere. But here is also a perfect time to show what you said at the beginning.

... checking her blonde spiky hair...

As I said, it's very good. Keep going.

I rather liked it too, Yeoman. I actually like the fact that it reads like a TV script, but we all have slightly different tastes. It's interesting to see that people thought there was too much description up front, because I might tend to write this way sometimes myself. I will say one thing about the full stops - I do like the way it sounds better with short action sentences. It's punchier, which accentuates the tension, the suspense, or whatever you want to call it. I do think I caught something that no one else noticed...

In the first paragraph, The first sentence starts off:

A tall blonde woman marched down the hallway,

Then, the third sentence starts off like this:
Her hair was short, white and spiked a tiny bit,

So, what color is her hair? Blonde, or white? (platinum blonde perhaps?) Did I miss something?

And, just so you know - she came across loud and clear as the Cruella Deville boss of the top secret tech experiment without having to "Tell" us that. ;)

also:

“Use your head, this project is very secretive and potentially very dangerous, your all scientists of some description,
s/b you're all scientists of some description,

and lastly -
“This says Elizabeth M Kraig on it, not ‘No one look at it and let all the freaking anomalies escape and maim us horribly’!”

I'm sorry but I can't figure out what 'she' means by this statement. Is she threatening them with her power? If so, it could be said differently to make it a little more obvious. I had to do a triple-take on that one.

Sorry I came to the party so late. Otherwise good stuff. Don't stop writing! :D

- Z.

Well, thank you for your reply, I certainly didn't expect to see this on the front page.

I've wrote a little more to this story, and improved it since I first posted the exerpt, but never though to repost it; as is my way.

That last bit, she was angered because no-one had taken the initiative to fix the fault that the document spoke about, but simply waited for her to arrive and sign for repairs to be carried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back