(Found) Please help me remember a title... please! :)

bouquetcatcher

It's driving me CRAZY. I read this book YEARS ago, and I only remember the main details. I've searched and searched on the net, can't find a match. Called my dad (who should have the book) and it sounds familiar to him, but he can't find it either.

It's about a guy that is on the desert world (or at least the desert part of a world) in a big domed city. The rich live at the top in their fancy gardens and technology, while the poor are practically slaves in awful little cell-like dwellings. I THINK he goes to the planet on a mission from earth, but he gets warped to the future? so what he finds there isn't what was supposed to be.

So he gets the grand tour of the dome as a guest, but he discovers the poverty on his own, and this big plot going on. The dome was built to protect the city from something (virus, environment??) but it's no longer needed, but the big wigs don't tell the people that. So the guy finds this out and has to escape. He ends up in this other city - a free city open to the air, with peace and beauty and simplicity. The plot is that he has to find a way to save the dome city from themselves... maybe bigger plot is to get back to his time and prevent this future? I think the book ended with him trying to go back....

Sigh. I know that's pretty bad. But if this sounds familiar to ANYONE, please let me know! Thanks!!!

Oh, and one more thing...

Everytime my brother or fiance talks about those Hyperion novels, it triggers my memory of the book. But the story doesn't sound familiar at all, just something about the title. Could these be the same books after all? Or is there a novel out there called Hyperbion or Hyberion or something similar?

I Found It!!

Ok, I decided to do a little more hopeless searching, and I ACTUALLY FOUND IT!!!

It's called Empyrion, by Stephen Lawhead. Part I is The Search for Fierra, part II is Siege of Dome. So thanks anyone who saw this for the whole half hour it was up and tried to think of it for me, hehe I found it.

Wowsers - what I find really odd is that I once had a dream that sounds quite similar in many regards. :)

And glad you figured it out, bouquetcatcher - I'll put that down on my reading list - I've read some Lawhead before and he's a decent writer.

Brian it's a great read - from what I remember, lol (Yes, this is bouquetcatcher. It was late when I registered the other night, and the air in my head prevented me from remembering to use my favorite fantasy name. So, reregistration... sigh... yes, I am a dork.)

Borders has the omnibus for $16.95, I ordered it from Amazon (one of the "used" booksellers) for about $6. If you're interested!