end of an era

I have never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen any of the films, which probably makes me quite an exception these days. Despite all the hype, I've never really been tempted either. I don't think there's anything wrong with them - they've just never really excited my interest.

However, what is undeniable is that she has excited the interest of a whole generation of children. As a result, many have discovered the joys of reading for pleasure and will, I'm sure, be all the better for it. For that feat alone, JKR deserves all the plaudits that have come her way and it is very much the end of an era.

I've read them all, and seen most apart from the latest one. I have to say that they progressively got worse, although 'Deathly Hallows' was very good... until the last 100 pages! I must say I was very dissapointed by the end; all that time looking forward to the death of my least favourite character (whose name I will not mention) and then he didn't die! And then my favourite character died... rather annoying really. I really hate it when authors muck up the endings to even half-decent book series, but alas most do. I have only read three series (Dark Tower, The Saga of Darren Shan and Artemis Fowl) which have NEVER let me down. I don't know about His Dark Materials because I have never finished it, although I'm sure that it is excellent after reading Northern Lights.

Joseph Delaney's Spooks series is local, too. In fact, most of it is based on Lancastrian legends and towns - Lancashire Witches, Pendle, Preston (Priestown in the books). You might have seen him on North West Tonight a few days ago.

Written for young adults, so it should be right up your street.

That sounds great! :eek: I'll check it out! Thanks.

I don't think the Artemis series particularly let us down by killing off Root, because, although very surprising, it was written well and was quite emotive. I haven't been that impressed with the deaths in Harry potter...I know that the quick (in both the real sense and in how it was described) deaths in Harry Potter was probably to show how in a battle like that, people can be struck down without warning and there's no time to grieve...but sometimes it felt she was just throwing in yet another death because it was time someone else died.

And I agree, Carpe, in that the books did get progressively worse, although for me it started to rise a little again at the end of The Deathly Hallows. But then I really didn't like The Order of the Phoenix and can hardly remember what happened in The Half Blood Prince, that's how little I cared about that book, so after that I think the only way for it was up! But I felt the ending was apt.

Oh my god. I don't remember Root dying! I think I shall have to re-read. Hmm! He was the best character! ARghargr!

Also I agree with you Hoopy, I felt JKR wrote too much about the Elfs death and chucked the other ones in at the end because there HAD to be casualties! ..And to be honest I didn't really care about the elf in the first place.

I do not not agree i think that elf's death was important and i do not think that JKR wrote toop much about it

And i loved the ending!

All in all the whole book was brilliant!

I agree, it was my favourite, Although I was worried as to whether JKR would end the book as she did any other .. 'cept LVoldemort or Harry would die. I think it was brilliant how she ended it all at Hogwarts and with everybody watching and got the urgency of the matter just right! Perfect.

when i put the book down i was wandering aimlessly round the house for a while, just thinking about whati would do next...it was weird. i agree with the books getting worse intil Deathly Hallows, where i think JK pulled out all the stops just to give the series a send off - but the ending was deadful - it should have ended with 'there was a lot of green light, then ______ knew no more'. It was too soppy and just reverting back to PS when all the brats boarded the train.....and i didn't like how they were all named after characters

Oh my god. I don't remember Root dying! .

arty:it was at the start of opal deception (book 4)

hp: the book ended ok, but as i have posted here/sumwhere else, the end seems to much utopian with the fact that in 19 years not 1 of the main three or even draco turned bad as they had nothing left to do

cmon at least harry turning bad, as that what happens with revenge, ur driven to kill the wrongdoers and once that happens they are left with remorse and guilt and then they slowly turn dark - sith-style

When I finished Deathly Hallows, I wandered around the house aimlessly for about an hour. I just couldn't believe that my favourite series, the series that inspired me to read more, had just ended. I thank J.K.Rowling eternally for writing the Harry Potter books but most of all for NOT KILLING HARRY!:)

yeah, I think you are among the millions of fans who held their breath months before DH was released. I wouldn't have minded any other way, if Harry did die, it would have been a heroic death anyway. But of course, I am also happy that he lived and that he eventually lived to enjoy life. It was a good ending. :)

Speaking of Era's, there are a couple of book series that are, as we speak, being turned into film. Which do you think would become the next Harry Potter?

- HIS DARK MATERIALS?
- NARNIA
- ENDER'S GAME

I personally like all.

when i put the book down i was wandering aimlessly round the house for a while, just thinking about whati would do next...it was weird. i agree with the books getting worse intil Deathly Hallows, where i think JK pulled out all the stops just to give the series a send off - but the ending was deadful - it should have ended with 'there was a lot of green light, then ______ knew no more'. It was too soppy and just reverting back to PS when all the brats boarded the train.....and i didn't like how they were all named after characters

SPOILERS:

I liked how the ending completely destroyed any possibility of a sequel series. All was well and that was it. I liked the characters being named after other characters. I liked seeing that the folks I wanted to find happiness found it.

yeah, I think you are among the millions of fans who held their breath months before DH was released. I wouldn't have minded any other way, if Harry did die, it would have been a heroic death anyway. But of course, I am also happy that he lived and that he eventually lived to enjoy life. It was a good ending. :)

Speaking of Era's, there are a couple of book series that are, as we speak, being turned into film. Which do you think would become the next Harry Potter?

- HIS DARK MATERIALS?
- NARNIA
- ENDER'S GAME

I personally like all.

never read Dark Materials
only read the one of the Narnia (the one they made the movie out of)
Enjoyed Enders Game immensly and look forward to the movie... but didn't like the sequels at all

SPOILERS:

I liked how the ending completely destroyed any possibility of a sequel series. All was well and that was it. I liked the characters being named after other characters. I liked seeing that the folks I wanted to find happiness found it.

I don't think it ruled it out, just with those characters as teenagers. Though saying that, there's 19 years worth of story as yet untold. What it DOES allow, in particular, is "historical" novels (e.g. 17th century, at the height of the witch frenzy in the Western world) set in Rowling's world of magic (TM), or to work up an entirely new plot featuring the "by then, current" kids seen in the epilogue. 20 years is about right for the next evildoer to develop him or herself.

I too am proud and happy to have witnessed the Harry Potter series as it progressed in my lifetime. I caught on to it, and by the end I was seeing the movies when released and dressing up for Book 7 at 12.

They say peer pressure is mostly bad but in my case i'm glad i didn't backed away. It was in the year 2000 that i was influenced to read the book and thank God and Jk Rowling i have changed. My life has been twist to something totally different from that what it was. My years onwards were spent anticipating each new book and movie release. And now its almost over, but i've sworn to myself that the legend of how a book named Harry Potter which once changed the world will not die. History books deserve this phenomenon of how the world was yearning to read and i'm happy to say that if i have the opportunity to have a long life, my children and grand children will not miss out on the journey i had embarked on....... for seven years.

Thank u Jk Rowling

Back