I've been searching for years...

E4rlGrey

The leaves winked.
...For a book I read the first part of years ago but I could never remember the title or author later. Here's what I remember of the part I read:

-The book opens with an army general and a doctor looking in on a child birth. The doctor tells the general that the baby is perfect except for it's eyes. The general tells the doctor something to the effect of get rid of the baby and the mother.

-There is in explosion in the facility (maybe a hospital) and the mother escapes with her child.

-The book cuts to what I assume is several years in the future. The mother and son are on an airplane which crashes and only the son survives.

This description is paraphrased of course... and I can't remember much else... any help would be much appreciated. I don't even know if I would like this book now... it just seemed interesting when I glanced at it years ago.

At first I thought this might be The Telepathist (aka The Whole Man) by John Brunner (1964), but I don't remember a plane crash, so suspect it's something else entirely. Good luck, in any case.