what are the best selling science fiction novels of all time?

phelann

I know dune is at the top, but I was wondering if there was a list somewhere with a few more down the list. I have a thing for lists;]

For SF, Dune is indeed at the top. As for what's below that, I have no idea. However, I imagine that Arthur C. Clarke is up there (3001 garnered a world record for an advance for an SF novel in 1997, so presumably the earlier Odyssey books sold quite well), probably Robert Heinlein as well. I seem to recall Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card selling very well.

Beyond that, no idea. Fantasy sales are easier to guesstimate but SF seems a lot harder for some reason.

I know dune is at the top, but I was wondering if there was a list somewhere with a few more down the list. I have a thing for lists;]
One book you would really like then is:THE ILLUSTRATED BOOK OF SCIENCE Lists by Mike Ashley it is full of interesting,obscure and interesting trivia you would want to know,name it and it has a heading more or less.

published by Virgin 1982 trade sized p/b.:)

This is a very good question. Given that books can be published by many different publishers I wonder if this information is easily accessible. Someone with a subscription to the New York Times website could go through the fiction best sellers for each year (only since '81) and compile a list for us.

I would guess that one best seller was the original Star Wars tie in novel, I certainly bought it at the time. Another guess would be Slaughterhouse 5.

Although I usually read fantasy, I have been know to read some science fiction. After Dune, I would suggest The Galactic Millieu Trilogy be on that list. Julian May has written this great trilogy and I remember it was always hard to get hold of a copy from the library, for they were so popular.

Trilogy, Rosie?

1. The Many-Colored Land
  2. The Golden Torc
  3. The Nonborn King
  4. The Adversary
:confused:

I know my numeracy skills are not good, but that is ridiculous!

My apologies :(

Not a comment on your numeracy, Rosie - just wondered if the series was divided into different parts in Australia.:)
But I agree with your sentiment - this, plus the Galactic Milieu series is one of the best sagas I've ever read.

I'm not sure about being divided up, although the four titles you posted all sound familiar.

Well, it depends on how you define 'Science Fiction', but if it's form of fantasy which the author makes an effort to seem convincing, then Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code would win by a mile :rolleyes:

...except, of course, The da Vinci Code wasn't in the least bit convincing :)

Although the book does not belong in the same breath as Dune, or even the Da Vinci Code (assuming SF for DVC) a claim is made for L. Ron Hubbard's "Battlefield Earth" as "the best selling Science Fiction book of all time" on the Web Site advertising the Twentieth Anniversay issue of "Battlefield Earth."

[Sound of Parson gagging to think that thought]

I would guess that this is a very hard question. What is Science Fiction? If as many believe "Frankenstien" belongs --- there might be a claim there. What about Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues under the Sea." Something close to every library everywhere has at least one copy, and many have several of this work. To say nothing of the millions in private hands. I'm sure the total number would have to run into the 10's of millions of copies.

...except, of course, The da Vinci Code wasn't in the least bit convincing :)

Nor indeed is it Science Fiction... at least not by any definition I've yet come across, and I've heard more than a few. If the DVC (say it like that and it sounds like an affliction :p) ever does come to be considered SF, then I think I'll throw in the towel and find something else to read. :cool:

Not a trilogy anymore, but I would imagine Asimov's Foundation series would be right up there.

Although the book does not belong in the same breath as Dune, or even the Da Vinci Code (assuming SF for DVC) a claim is made for L. Ron Hubbard's "Battlefield Earth" as "the best selling Science Fiction book of all time" on the Web Site advertising the Twentieth Anniversay issue of "Battlefield Earth."

Rumour has it that scientologists were told to go out and buy ten copies each. I have also heard that the US best-seller charts are based on pre-orders not actual sales, and while Elron's magnum dopus racked up some impressive pre-orders, it didn't sell so well. OTOH, it has been my misfortune to correspond with people who claim the book is the greatest sf novel ever written...

Battlefield Earth has sold about 2 million copies, IIRC, which unfortunately in the relatively low-selling world of SF means it's probably in the Top Ten. Dune, for example, as has sold about 15 million copies IIRC.

Rumour has it that scientologists were told to go out and buy ten copies each.

Allegedly some creative googling will allegedly reveal comments from former Scientologists only too happy to own up to this.

Someone should check out Heinlein's best book sales. Im almost sure one of his popular books and one or more of the juvies has sold more than two million copies.

I'd suspect that Clarke's Odyssey series would be up there, too. No prizes for guessing the top-selling series in fantasy (per book, at least); Potter must be right up there, with - if memory serves - something like 400 million books sold in total. Nearly 70 million per book. Yikes...:eek:

I'd suspect that Clarke's Odyssey series would be up there, too. No prizes for guessing the top-selling series in fantasy (per book, at least); Potter must be right up there, with - if memory serves - something like 400 million books sold in total. Nearly 70 million per book. Yikes...:eek:

You're forgetting Lord of the Rings: 250 million + copies sold of the single book. Even if you want to argue it's three books (it isn't, it was merely split due to size) that's still 83 million apiece.

The sales for the fantasy top sellers seem easier to track down:

JK Rowling: 350-400 million.
JRR Tolkien: 320 million (including The Hobbit and his other books).
Stephen King: 300 million.
Terry Pratchett: 50 million.
Robert Jordan: 35 million.
Terry Brooks, Raymond E. Feist & David Eddings: 20 million each or thereabouts; Brooks is probably the biggest-selling of those three.
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman: 20 million (combined sales of their jointly-written novels).
Terry Goodkind: 15 million.
George RR Martin: 5-7 million.
David Gemmell: 2-3 million.
Steven Erikson: Probably around the 1 million mark, maybe more.

According to wiki Only Agatha Christie has sold more than Stephen King and she has over a Billion sold copies.

Or you mean only 300 million for Dark Tower?