The Colour of Magic AND The Light Fantastic coming to Sky One!

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
Yep, after the success of The Hogfather, the first two Discworld books are being made into TV movies to be aired on Sky One in 2008. It's unclear exactly how they're going to handle them (each book becomes one 90-minute film, or if both books get the two-episode treatment, for six hours worth of material in total), but it makes sense given The Colour of Magic's cliffhanger ending.

The most dubious piece of news is that David Jason is playing Rincewind. Now this just doesn't make much sense. Not only is he already playing the recurring role of Albert, but Rincewind is much younger (in his 30s in TCoM, IIRC). OTOH, I understand that Jason is also acting as executive producer and his presence in the cast is understood to be thought of as a big ratings draw (you know, rather than this being the biggest-selling series of British fantasy novels in history without the words 'Potter' or 'Rings' in the title).

Some more nuggets of info here.

Yeah, I just wish Sky and Branson would extract the digit and give us Virgin subscribers back Sky1, though mostly lowest-common-denominator TV, it's gems like this that saved it.

The most dubious piece of news is that David Jason is playing Rincewind. Now this just doesn't make much sense. Not only is he already playing the recurring role of Albert, but Rincewind is much younger (in his 30s in TCoM, IIRC).

Someone like Rhys Ifans would be MUCH more suitable.

Yes, it does seem a bizarre piece of casting. Quite apart from the age aspect, it's a long time since David Jason did "scrawny" :p

Particularly since the one that our favourite Wizzard does, more than anything else, to the extent that he's virtually famous for it, is run. And run. It means he stays alive, true, but he's really very good at running. Before the opposition realise it's a running situation, usually, hence his staying alive. I don't really see a knight of the realm, aged 67, fitting the general description given in the books. (Although as Albert he's not too bad - if anything a bit too young and cheerful)

Thanks for the good news! Hogfather is the only one I watched and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait...

Mustrum Ridcully springs to mind......assuming they continue into the "modern era"!

It's good to see more of Pratchett's work coming to television. I recently got more interested in them again since The Hogfather last year (the only other ones I've seen on tv before that were the animated versions).

David Jason as Rincewind? Ah, man...I love the dude and all, but he's definitely not a Rincewind.

But woop, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic! Brilliant, I love the Rincewind stories. Makes me wish I had Sky, just so I could watch them...I shall have to track them down somehow, maybe bribe a person who has Sky to record them for me...

I can't see them not selling them as DVDs at some point... it's more money!!

if DJ has to be in them then why not the role that is almost type cast?
Cohen the Barbarian
DJ could play that character in his sleep and do a much better job of it than trying to be Rincewind.

Again, Cohen is a character that requires skinny. Whilst DJ is hardly corpulent he's not the twanging tendons and alive-through-not-dying of Cohen.

Nicholas Lyndhurst 15 years ago (he's forty six now)!

I read Rincewind as maybe 25-30ish at most?