(Found) Love to find (very old!) children's fantasy

Milena

Child Garden Graduate
I remember getting this fantasy out from the library over and over, but can't recall what it was. The main character had to undertake a journey, was some sort of elven/little person whose people subsisted on whortleberries (yes, I'm afriad so) and he was pursued in the woods by what seemed like a very scary animal called a padfoot (way before JK used the name). Any ideas? This would have been published early 60's, I think.

Well, it is VERY old and obsure, but if anything come to mind (or you can suggest anywhere else I might search) I'd be really grateful.... Thanks:)

The only thing that I can tell you is that "Padfoot" is the name of a supernatural black dog.

The title was The Last of The Wispies by Glyn Frewer.

The Wispies had once been very numerous,but now only Will o' the Wisp and Granfer were left-and perhaps Will's brother Jack o' Lantern, who had left home a thousand years or so before. The Wispies were tiny creatures, immensly long-lived, and eating nothing but bog-whortle-berries. So when whortleberry bushes in Fenmarsh died, Will had to set out on his dangerous journey through the Twilight World in search of more food. He was accompanied by his friend Squiff, the squirrel, and their adventures with the Padfoot, the Redcap, the Hobyahs, the Badger, Billy Blind and other good and evil creatures make an exciting and unusual story."

I too borrowed this book over and over again (from Plumstead Library, Greenwich public library system). The book literally changed my life (too long to explain here). I too have been looking for it for years. In vain. Then, today (June 2 2023), three copies turn up! I just ordered mine online. Hoping against hope it is the same physical copy I borrowed in the late 60s and early 70s when I was a child (Plumstead Library, to their shame, got rid of their copy). My copy is on its way to me as I type this. The bad news: it was not cheap. The good news: it finally turned up! Here is one that has your name all over it (I have no financial interest in the company):

PS I read your message years ago. It struck a chord with me. We are kindred spirits! I have been looking every day since then for this book. Yesterday I struck gold.

Back