Helmets

Somni

Not so much exploration as kit, but I think this may be the most appropriate place for it (if not perhaps a moderator could kindly move it, Thank you).

I was thinking about helmets as portrayed in some of the books I have, some are adaptations of the 'goldfish bowl' style helmet, updated from current spacesuits. Others have an inner 'mask' over mouth and nose like in a firefighter's breathing gear. What I was wondering was if anyone knew which type would be better, or is the choice just cosmetic? Perhaps the different styles may have different benefits depending on use e.g. vacuum vs. hazardous, but pressurised, environments?

So far I had the thought that 'goldfish bowls' would be more comfortable, whilst the 'firefighter' style may help keep the user alive longer if the visor cracks (retain air supply) and may enable voice communication to be retained in the event of a leak in a vacuum.

However, these do not really seem to be enough to declare one 'better', I would therefore appreciate other peoples contributions. Thanks.

I suppose that the goldfish bowl helmets are like the ones the astronauts wore in the Apollo capsule during liftoff, and another variant would be the ones they wear in the space shuttle during liftoff, which are different from the Apollo helmets in that they look more like flight helmets with a visor. But the suits they wear in the shuttle are more like semi spacesuits, good for abandoning the ship during liftoff.

I don't think anyone has used a space helmet with an oxygen mask, similar to high altitude pilots, mostly fighter pilots. But it's an interesting idea, and I can imagine that in one way it's safer than not having such a mask.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner History 0
W Book Search 5