Choosing your memories....

This whole concept makes me uncomfortable on a number of different levels. I've got to think about it a little bit more before I can really articulate my feelings about it, but just the biggest problem I have with it is the ways in which the ability to do this could be abused.

Now that's worrying.
To a very large extent, we are our memories (well, I am, at anyrate. Some people seem to be largely reflections of their endocrine system)
Giving anyone, even psychiatric clinics (perhaps especially psychiatists) the tools to edit these, even only selective erasure as described here, is allowing someone to tinker with your most basic "you"
Oh, the possibilities it gives; reprogramming sex offenders into safe, useful members of society, a quick shot in your tea while passing a film of a politician's promises, delivered to witnesses when they're trying to remember everything about a case...
Am interesting world we live in.

Very disturbing, very scary. Violation of humanity. What are we going to become?

While I see some decided benefits if used properly... when the hell have we used such things strictly properly? And, as everyone as said (and Chris articulated particularly well) the variety of ways to abuse this particular thing are immense, putting this right up there with the worst fear-scenarios of cloning or genetic engineering....

And yes, Chris, I agree. We are our memories; the physical side is a part of us, but the personality is made up largely of memories, whether people like to believe it or not. As horrific as some of my memories are (and I've seen some very, very nasty things in my time), I'm not sure I'd even give those up, despite the fact they still periodically give me nightmares years (sometimes up to 20+ years) later. After all, our experiences are what we learn from -- recall that the rats who were so treated didn't brace themselves for the one, indicating that they were now continually vulnerable on that score.

Aren't bad memories reminding us of stuff we need to know and remember,
to keep us in line?
You are supposed to learn from your mistakes,and if mistakes can be erased
(mistakes almost always make bad memories).....
Still,i will reread it more leisurely.
The human mind can't be that simple,surely.
Whoa Chris were you taking a dig at me,or should I apologize right now for even thinking that?:eek:

What a crazy idea. Ben and Chris are both right as they stand, but there's a deeper problem. If something nasty has happened to you, you need to deal with it and allow your mind to heal ( a difficult process sometimes, I know) no good ever came from suppression of memory or tinkering with the mind in this way. We don't know nearly enough about how our minds work to even think about going down this road.:confused:

I can't agree more with Chris, J.D. and Ben. Isn't remembering, dealing with and learning from the bad things in the past a vital survival ability?

Ace is right,as always

This is one more example of reducing the mind to some digital apparatus with on/off switches.
I think it works like genetics,with multiple state switches.
This is one more effing example of a society going for the easy solutions.

So much easier to give a war vet a pill,than to keep listening to his tales of woe ,right??And him effing up the health budget?
and Hoffman La Roche,Merck,Pfizer et alia are going to market this thingy dirt cheap surely?????????????

sorry rant again

Has anyone stopped to think about what the street version of this thing is going to be worth? C'mon, people... with the kind of dependence we already have on blotting out our lives with alcohol, pot, and various other pharmaceuticals (not to mention glue, Dust-off, etc.), does anyone think that some enterprising little buffer ain't gonna come up with a black-market/street version? This isn't a can of worms opened up here, people, this is a large pit of very p.o.'d vipers....

imagine the kind of society,Jd

Do something incredibly awful to somebody,then give him a pill
then do the same thing again et a lot of cetera
read Bradley Denton's RERUN DONNA,everybody
after all this is an Sf forum....
Mankind's gone uphill*well sorta* by overcoming painful mistakes,or painful collective mistakes.I f there are no bad things to overcome in life,what will remain of ambition?

Is a hard day at the office worth a pill?

this will result in some personality distortions.
Someone looses a leg in a severely traumatic incident.
you give him/her the pill,the psychological damage is gone,but does this bring the leg back?
So you then have the patient asking:please explaing where my leg has gone.

So...?

oowwee,this one has people posting,i can feel it, this touches the core of our being

Looks confused at HSF's comment -
Whoa Chris were you taking a dig at me,or should I apologize right now for even thinking that?

Now, which bit could I have been aiming specifically at him?

Isn't remembering, dealing with and learning from the bad things in the past a vital survival ability?
Taking the other side of the argument, isn't pain an essential indication of a malfunction? But you don't see even many religious figures nowadays who come out against anasthetics, and I think most of them tolerate morphine for those who are dying in great pain (and hold a distinctly non-christian hope that those who don't die of something lingering and agonising)

What I was holding out for is sanctity of self. My father was an extremely analytic, precise person. He died of a brain tumor, and for the last eight months was being gradually erased (demolished) losing little by little his past, himself.
I suspect that if I should ever follow the suicide option, it would be that, rather than physical pain, that would push me.
Even if I could choose each memory to be eliminated personally, with someone I trust to advise and help, I don't think I'd wipe one; and presumably we're talking firstly about fourteen year old rape victims here, who need the treatment because they can't think straight, but are badly adapted for choosing for the same reason.

And that's before criminal incompetents get hold of the stuff (probably stolen from hospitals, but maybe synthesised diectly; the synthetic drugs scene gives them access to a range of qualified chemists) and use it to fog up evidence of kidnappings, thefts, extortion...

And not all governments are above reprogramming their citizens.

Last edited:
And not all governments are above reprogramming their citizens.

Errrr, Chris... are there any that are? :confused: (And no, that is not meant facetiously. In my view, NO government is that trustworthy. They're a necessary evil, almost never a positive good. The only thing that keeps any government even moderately honest is that they're under constant watch; and even the founding fathers here were well aware of that fact; look at their writings on the subject.)

I've read P K Dick and cyber-punk stories on this subject, but I thought we were a long way away from it ever coming true. It's like the atom bomb and genetic engineering though, if it's possible to do it, then someone will do it, and you can't stop it once the 'genie is out of the bottle'. We will just have to live with it and prevent the possible abuses from taking place.

If the mind re-programming projects must go on deeper and wider, wouldn't it be more sensible to invent drugs for altering those minds that are causing other people bad memories?

It's an interesting development, and a mechanical triumph in scientific development.

But this should NEVER go into any kind of production or distribution. Nothing more needs to be said; everyone else has collectively nailed it.

The point is that the drug already exists, is already on the market, is already in the synthesis books.
If they ban it now, for these side effects, it will only slow down, not prevent its reappearance, either from countries which have nothing to gain from enforcing the bans, or freelance black market suppliers

The researchers used propranolol, a drug normally used to treat hypertension in heart disease patients but also known to cause memory problems. They treated 19 accident or rape victims for 10 days with the drug or with dummy pills, while they asked to describe their memories of a traumatic event that happened 10 years earlier.

Propranolol (INN) (IPA: [proˈprænəloʊl]) is a non-selective beta blocker mainly used in the treatment of hypertension. It was the first successful beta blocker developed. Propranolol is commonly marketed by Wyeth under the trade name Inderal.
Scottish scientist James W. Black successfully developed propranolol in the late 1950s. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for this discovery in 1988.
for the time being, the drug requires injecting, which leaves evidence; but only evidence of erasure, not what has been erased.
I don't think the genie is going back into the bottle; but perhaps we can slow its egress.
And hopefully (since they merely talk of removing the "emotional" elements of the experience) it won't work quite as well as the article suggests.

Didnt Jim Carey do a movie about this
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind!!!
Bad memories even though they are bad, would have no doubt caused us heartache, pain and maybe even some suffering are also part of growth. They make us stronger and more able to cope with what may confront us next. You may want them taken away but it would be wrong to do.

Originally posted by JD

While I see some decided benefits if used properly... when the hell have we used such things strictly properly?

JD is right, and we know he is right, when has anything been used correctly without though of corruption. This one is just to dangerous to be allowed.