Helppp

Starli

Hi. I'm new to here. I'm 16 and I've written a few books in series. I'm rewriting the first one because I want to try and get it published but I'm worried I won't be able to because I'm young and have only had something published in a magazine before. What should I do? Does anyone know any publishers who accept unpublished authors?

If you've got questions like that, you should read the Publishing forum. You might find John Jarrold's question and answer thread a helpful resource.

A lot of publishers will accept unpublished authors; just have to read their guidelines first, which are usually located on their website, to make sure they don't mind.

I would also suggest you begin building a resume as a published fiction writer. By that I mean submitting chapters from your novels to magazines as short stories, so you will gain short story publishing credits. Publishers don't like to take a chance on an author who hasn't been published in magazines first. Start with those mags open to beginners and gradually work your way up to the more elite SF&F magazines. Then when you approach publishers with your novel manuscripts you will be able to list your fiction publishing credts in your query letter. It helps a lot!

Good luck. :) You'll find mags to submit stories to by doing a Google search for them and also in the Novel & Short Story Writers Market book.

Don't worry too much over getting published. Worry over getting an agent. Do you have one? If so, let your agent worry over getting a publisher.

Publishers deal with material from unpublished authors all the time. It is common for some publishers to refuse authors that aren't published, on the grounds that they aren't published, though.

*Shakes head* Very unfair, especially when I've bought so much bad fiction.

Back